News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 03:08:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bright Backup LED Light?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Bright Backup LED Light?
« on: November 24, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
Anyone know of a source for a backup LED light that is actually really really bright, instead of "buy this, it's brighter, but we won't tell you what its lumens nor its current draw" only when you get it installed it's not even as bright as the stock bulb.

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Bright Backup LED Light?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 05:29:59 PM »
I've tried some advertised as 1.5 watt, and they're not bad for the small 194 bulbs. I'm planning trying some marked as 3w to compare to a 168. I'm thinking about 7w at least for the big bulbs.

Cree is a brand name to search for, they make some of the brightest LED bulbs right now. You mostly get what you pay for in LEDs. You may be looking at retrofitting for a multi-LED 12v bulb.

I'm still looking myself.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Re: Bright Backup LED Light?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 11:16:01 PM »
Cree is a good brand name, but the parts are "binned", in that the production runs are tested and sorted as to their brightness vs. current drawn, and colour. Big difference in lumens between a top binned and a low binned Cree. So the fact that it's a Cree isn't a bad thing, but not a guarantee you've got a good LED, as it could be a low binned (low performing) Cree. Common in the aquarium DIY LED trade is to sell someone unknowing a low binned Cree at a high binned price.

What this means is that a replacement bulb made with low-cost low-binned LEDs may use more watts and yet have less light output than one made with a high binned LED that is using fewer watts. No way that I know of to know what you're getting other than trial and error. Which is why I'm hoping someone has found one that they can attest that it is brighter than the stock bulbs. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk