News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 06:50:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not a fan of the sedan  (Read 47312 times)

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
Re: Not a fan of the sedan
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 10:22:43 AM »

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 10:24:05 AM »
[IMG]http://i1090.photobu[IMG]http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i371/brownbear87/eagleleak.jpg[/

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 10:26:04 AM »

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 10:27:04 AM »

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 10:28:10 AM »

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 10:39:54 AM »

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 10:40:50 AM »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 10:40:59 AM »
You might want to rip what remains of that vinyl roof off, as it is with the holes its trapping moisture and that'll make the roof rust much faster.  Be prepared for some nasty surprises underneath if you do remove it, though.

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 10:42:14 AM »

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 10:44:30 AM »
I just got done scraping a large amount of the roof off, then it started to pour.  I see a lot of glue so far,  looks like the windshield was leaking at one point, still have more to remove.  whats the best way to get the glue off?

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 10:46:45 AM »
   Lots of work ahead of me...........

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 11:28:38 AM »
I don't see a year specified in your description (unless I somehow missed it), but if that's an '87 then "rare" is something of an understatement.  Only 454 sedans produced in their final year.

I must admit I'm not a sedan man either... I mean, I don't hate them, but they're probably my least favorite of the five body styles.

Despite that, I did just pick up two of them recently ('81 and '86) and know the whereabouts of two others ('80 and '81) which could be had pretty cheaply.  ;D

Take a look at Metalbird's sedan for some inspiration.  Looks like yours is even the same color.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 11:33:38 AM »
I just got done scraping a large amount of the roof off, then it started to pour.  I see a lot of glue so far,  looks like the windshield was leaking at one point, still have more to remove.  whats the best way to get the glue off?

You could try a paint stripper or some other kind of solvent, but if it takes the glue off it'll take the paint off as well and I imagine you don't want to do that at this point.  I havent had any luck with any kind of solvent, I use a sharp paint scraper, the one I fouind works best has a head that is sort of triangular shaped with one side flat, one slightly curved and one concave, the head is about an inch or so on each side.  Two hands on the scraper and a hard pull, or sometimes start away from the glue a bit and jerk it along the surface until it hits the glue and pulls some of it off.  I use a grinder to keep the edge sharp and avoid having to buy a new scraper every day or two.  Something that might work which I haven't tried is a heat gun to soften the glue before you run the scraper over it.

Be careful where the windshield pillars and rear window pillars meet the roof, those panels are joined with lead and a sharp steel straper can gouge it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:49:44 AM by priya »

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 12:04:44 PM »
This is the rare 1987 sedan......

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 12:11:05 PM »
Oh, yes, brownbear, another thing I use to remove glue, undercoating, and so on is a wood chisel with about a 3/4 inch blade.  Lay it at a shallow angle to the metal next to the stuff you want to remove and tap it with a hammer.  That works really well for particularly thick/stubborn coatings and doesn't hurt the wrists like long bouts with hand scrapers can.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk