The Shop > 4X4 and Driveline

CV Joint boots

(1/1)

mlg10231:
I had to replace my passenger side outer boot on my '84 5 speed Limited wagon. I went to a local auto parts store and came home with a new boot. Unfortunately, it was too large. I returned it, and they insisted it was correct for an '84. After measuring shaft and hub, I was able to find one from EMPI that fit. Now I have an inner boot failing, and looking at what is recommended, it again is not the right size. What I did find is that '83 boots are the correct size.

Has anyone else run across this issue? Is it possibly because it is a 5 speed? I thought maybe mine was a very early production '84 and may have still had '83 parts, but it was built in March of '84.

Thanks for any help.

AMC of Houston:
Its actually not a question of tranny; the different size CV joints were for 4-cylinder vs 6-cylinder.   The same 2 different-sized CV joints were used all thru Eagle production; the only qualifier as to which got which was the number of cylinders.

mlg10231:
I should have mentioned that that is the really strange thing; mine has the 4.2! When I bought it, it only had 39,000 miles so I don't think anything has been modified.

AMC of Houston:
I've run into that exact scenario before - even back when I was an AMC dealership hack.  I don't think the assembly line folks paid much attention to which axle they grabbed!  Or it may have been a supply issue on the big joints - I've seen lots of the little joints on the 6-cyl cars; but not the other way around.  Who knows!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version