News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What carbs fit  (Read 4086 times)

Offline Newgenerationamcer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
What carbs fit
« on: December 02, 2014, 04:12:20 PM »
I've looked across the forum for two days and it was hard for me to find some straight answers on Carburetors for the 258. I've seen a lot of people using  the MC 2100, 2150 .I'm just wondering if there is any carbs that fit without any modifications. If not what are the closest fitting carbs on the market that I won't have to change the manifold for.  Any opinions and preferences from members past carbs or ones that work are greatly appreciated thanks  ( I have a stock setup with a carter on now and really don't want another )  :eaglebig: :help:

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: What carbs fit
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 04:23:45 PM »
Only the Carter fits without modification. The earlier non feedback carter will work also if you don't have emissions testing, but you will have to do the ECM Test bypass. It takes the carb computer out of the ignition circuit.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 05:50:32 PM »
Hey thanks for the replay... But ifs that's the case what Carburetors need the least amount of fabrication   

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »
The MC 21XX series need an adapter (Gronk's looks to be about perfect for that)

You can run an older BBD Carter. They were also used on Dodge 318s and slant sixes.

Webber 32/36 or 34/36 (I think) bolts in place of the BBD but needs linkage mods. If you search Jeep 258 carburetor, you will find all sorts of stuff. I fix all the BBDs and so far only found one that was TOTALLY dead out of a few hundred. I thought about rebuilding them for a living, but they are nearly gone and the way shipping companies and USPS handle stuff (drop kicking it into the bins and playing football!) they get messed up pretty quick.

I'll stick with converting to EFI with Jeep parts, thanks! In springtime, after I sell my Comanche (going up for sale seriously in Jan) I'm going to get the parts together from my collection and put an AW4 in my Eagle wagon with NV242 (just bought a '93 Grand Cherokee with parts 4.0L and  NV242 for $500 with brand new tires I put on the Comanche) Once the Honcho is drivable, I'll do the swap.

I have a complete '91 XJ HO efi harness to put in.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:28:32 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 08:26:08 PM »
Thanks for the info Carnuck ....My Eagle was once converted to fuel injection by the previous owner but he couldn't pass emissions so he took everything out but the fuel pump I wish I had the money to convert it back but I guess ill use a carb for now. With the Mc21xx what is the adapter for?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:03:10 PM »
I assume it was just visual he failed on?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »
He never told me why he failed, but this guy wasnt really into eagles he kind of just had one. Thats why he sold it to me when i came along and asked about it ( great story there )..... I just found instructions on fabing a MC on a 258 but its for a jeep would it work for an eagle aswell ? http://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/50151-how-install-motorcraft-2100-258-jeep-detail.html

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 01:04:37 AM »

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 01:19:42 PM »
Main thing is, are you running auto or stick? If auto, I would get the Lokar passing gear cable kit for a Mopar and make it work because the stock linkages for the 3 speed auto won't work right after a carb change. (if AW4, use the TVS cable from an HO rig which is @ 12" longer than Renix because it attaches to the front and not back of the throttlebody)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk