News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 05:18:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: source for stock front axle disconnect vacuum motor  (Read 9215 times)

Offline BlueEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
source for stock front axle disconnect vacuum motor
« on: January 03, 2013, 04:26:30 PM »
Looking for a stock replacement vacuum motor for my 81 Eagle/Dana 30. Jeep websites only supply them back to about 1984 models. Any sources where I can find one of these or find a rebuild kit. I am aware of all the other workarounds and options available to address this issue by other means, but wish to leave the system stock...it lasted 32 years, and a repaired system would likely outlive me or my use of the car. Any help is appreciated.

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Re: source for stock front axle disconnect vacuum motor
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:27:14 AM »
Might want to give Kennedy American a call or try their web site. Believe I seen them on there. Jeff is a good guy and will help you out on all he can.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline BlueEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:01:51 PM »
Thanks. Looked for Kennedy American on the web and got buried in hits about our former President.  Do you have a link or a number to share for them?

Does any one know if the later model disconnects used on YJs will work on an older Dana 30 like mine?

Offline BlueEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 12:06:55 PM »
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52432_00.htm

This one looks close but of course without any specs you can't tell without buying and trying.

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BlueEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 02:10:38 PM »
Thanks. They don't have one on their site but I'll give them a call. Going to try AMC Parts Depot too.

Offline BlueEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:29:47 PM »
No luck at Kennedy American or AMC Parts Depot. I am going to get the part number for the '84 up YJ disconnect and see if it is the same.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 05:26:09 PM »
The vacuum disconnect used on the Eagle axle is not the same as the one used on the Jeep XJ and YJ solid axles.

You could try using http://car-part.com/ to search for a salvage yard in your area that has an Eagle or two, or search regionally to get a phone number to call to get one shipped to you, or try the auction sites. When I search car-part.com, I usually search for something that would mean the yard most likely has the entire car, like a hood or fender or doors, then call them to ask about the specific part I need that they would not likely have listed with the website.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline BlueEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 08:07:40 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm probably going to take it off, clean it and see if it is just hung up before poking around further, but a local junkyard will be the next step

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 11:10:06 PM »
Hey there,  I PM'ed you earlier.  I have a working motor for sale if you are interested.  It came off of an 84 Eagle.  PM me back kif you are interested.

Cheers
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline neweagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 09:53:16 AM »
I purchased an axle disconnect from my local Napa auto parts store about a year ago. Can't remember the part # but they found it in their parts books.

Offline BlueEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 10:05:55 PM »
Updating this because I have some info that might be useful to others:

Stopped by NAPA today....the guy at the counter, who happened to be a Jeep guy, found the part and said that they have both the disconnect and t-case vacuum pots in stock, but......they are in the process of renumbering the stock, so until the parts are relabled, they cant be found in the warehouse.  He said to check back in a month or so. This particular NAPA is attached to one of the West Coast NAPA warehouses, so I expect he will come thru for me should I need a new one.

In the mean time, I got under my car and took some stuff apart....I thank my dad for making me help him build the grease pit in our shop in the 70's: Sure makes the prospect of getting under the car a lot more pleasant in the winter when the process doesnt include laying on cold concrete.

Anyway, I removed the Axle disconnect vacuum pot and bracket. I left it hooked up to the vacuum lines and started the engine, then moved the switch to 4wd position: no movement on the disconnect actuator. I moved it back and forth by hand under vacuum and it moved to the locked position. I disconnected it from the lines and worked it back and forth quite a bit and reinstalled the lines with the unit still removed from the axle, trying the switch again...it moved like it should, it seems it was just hung up from lack of use.

However once I got it working I still didn't have 4wd, so I looked at the connections at the T-case and found the one for the vacuum actuator loose on the unit. I cleaned and reinstalled the connector with zip ties and after that, all works as designed.

I think I will still replace both of these actuators while they are still available. Since the first ones have lasted 32 years so far, I think I will be more interested in my jetpack by the time the new ones fail.

Offline BlueEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 02:35:19 AM »
This post was a response to one that had been deleted.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:40:07 PM by BlueEagle »

Offline BlueEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 12:44:47 PM »
I got an email from Doug at American Parts Depot.  He tells me the AMC part number for the axle disconnect vacuum motor is 813 3621
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:40:43 PM by BlueEagle »

Offline The Dark Side of Will

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
  • Too much effort into cars that are too cheap
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 10:03:08 AM »

Stopped by NAPA today....the guy at the counter, who happened to be a Jeep guy, found the part and said that they have both the disconnect and t-case vacuum pots in stock, but......they are in the process of renumbering the stock, so until the parts are relabled, they cant be found in the warehouse.  He said to check back in a month or so. This particular NAPA is attached to one of the West Coast NAPA warehouses, so I expect he will come thru for me should I need a new one.

Did this pan out?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk