News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 05:21:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: door bushings or new hinges?  (Read 7391 times)

Offline intuitivecat

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
    • my Flickr photo page
Re: door bushings or new hinges?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 10:42:38 AM »
ok ill be sure to inspect it better tonight and tomorrow when i get a chance to actually start on it...... or next weekend if i have to finish one of the projects i already have first lmao also any good tips for getting mice out of your car?????

Put mothballs under it, and maybe a few under the hood and in the trunk. Not too many in the engine and trunk though, you want to be able to breathe when you drive it. They keep most critters away.

dryer fabric softener sheets work just as well as mothballs at keeping little critter out and smell much better.
The city is for polish, the desert for wisdom - old Fremen saying

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: door bushings or new hinges?
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »
Also cheap and effective - Irish Spring soap bars. They smell nice, and have such a strong scent that it drives the mice away. I use that trick in my sheds as well as in cars. In the cars, I hide the bars under the seats and in the dash. My dad has used then in the fender wells of his truck, since the mice like the taste of headlight wires. I bought a bulk box of soap at Costco, and still have over half of the bars left. I guess I'll never have to worry about not having soap for the shower, if I run out of the usual stuff.

Door hinges can be repaired with just the bushings if the hole isnt egg shaped from the bushing being long gone. Pins might be available at the local auto parts place, just not listed as for an Eagle. You can try to match up a replacement. One final thing I've come up against is excessively worn door check springs - the rollers get seized up, then they wear a groove in the spring. When that happens, its time for a hinge replacement.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk