News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 06:17:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to Forum/Eagles  (Read 24478 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Re: New to Forum/Eagles
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 03:38:51 AM »
Upon second inspection of photo(s), the rust kind of looks bad. Not rusting through, just not pretty. Thanks for all the great info Whuntmore, I really appreciate it. Pics of seats and some underside are here, let me know what you think:
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/?action=view&current=ViewSNC00248.jpg
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 03:45:16 AM »
Also, he has a clear title for the car. It's about an 1hr 40min from me I believe. Not sure about the popping out, I don't think he's totally sure either. Like I said, he told me it's probably a vacuum leak somewhere.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »
Ok, the first time I did give him the benefit of the doubt... but twice in a row?   He's taken these pics, and he had to look at them to send them...  And he considered these acceptable for you to view for a sale?

I don't know how anyone can look at those pictures, think 'yup, those are good enough' and send them.  

I can tell in the first pic, that there's a jack under the back axle, and there's something hanging in the camera's way,
I haven't got a clue what the 2nd pic is,
Pic 3, I can tell there's a seat there (Pass. seat)
Pic 4 is the clearest (driver's seat),
pic 5 back seats.  (lolol)

wow...   3 pics of seats, no other interior, and nothing for outer body, and underbody pics were worthless.

He's either really dumb/lazy and doesn't care to send anything viewable, or like I said, he's doing that so he doesn't have to show what's really wrong.

Sorry to see this is the kind of response you're getting.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 11:58:53 AM »
He just emailed me and said he took the title out and realized the car is actually a 1982, not a 1981. I'm going to email back and ask for more/better pictures.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »
and btw Whuntmore, I saw you commented on the 82 AMC Spirit for sale in Allentown, PA. I was thinking about checking that one out, but the fuel gauge is the one thing preventing me. It's just too major of a problem, and since my brother can't/wouldn't fix that because it's too much work, I probably wouldn't have enough money to get it fixed by someone else. Besides, I'm sure it's worth more than I can spend as it is.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 01:01:48 PM »
I can't find the spirit ad now...  well sorry to hear that it would be too much to fix.

This is just my opinion, but I would have said to him: "either take better pics of the car showing everything really well, or forget it"  (and I would have said get pics of 'this, this, this and that')

Or  "Don't bother, I'll look elsewhere"

I'm still trying to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, and consider he could be that busy, but if you're trying to sell a car, then take the time to do it right the first time.   I mean if he is that busy, then he sure knows how to waste time - This is the third time he has to go out, and take pictures for you.  

For me, "I'm really/too busy" is a Red Flag.  Either way, honest or not, that usually means you're gonna get minimal attention on this.

But usually people who have pretty decent cars will take the pics and show it off.  And I'm sure most people know that pictures have to be clear to be of any good.  

It's too bad you can't get down there, and actually look at the car.  

The real problem is (and most people here will tell you) you'll either pay now, or pay later.   Eagles are great cars (still running after all these years) but neglected cars need work and upkeep.   The closer you're willing to come to your max price, the less (hopefully) you'll have to spend later on repairs.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:03:40 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 01:46:09 PM »
The Spirit ad is in the parts for sale section, not the cars for sale section- here: http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=35673.0

I told the SX/4 guy to get pictures of the engine, dash, underbody, and whole car itself, and to use a real camera if he has one. I also suggested using photobucket since it's faster and more convenient.

I know it needs a little work and lots of maintenance, but I really would like a car to baby :P
I've seen very very few SX/4s for sale in good condition, which is probably my favorite of them all. In fact, I've only seen 2 driveable ones for sale at all, anywhere on the internet. If I can't get this one, or something real bad changes my mind, I will probably go to the Spirit next. Who knows, maybe I could offer $1000 since she has to move and then just have the fuel gauge fixed... it is only an hour away.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 01:47:52 PM »
Oh, he also has 2 other cars for sale online, so maybe they are taking up more of the time he doesn't have ???

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »
Is it just the fuel gauge?  or is it something to do with the tank/float?  If it's just the fuel gauge, there's probably lots of people here that will sell you one.  If it's the tank/float, then that's a different matter, but there are probably fixes for that posted here, or someone here can tell you how to fix it.

He has two other cars for sale online.  On Evil bay, or C-list?  Is he a regular car seller?

So let's say in all fairness, he's being truthful, and he just doesn't have the time - he's that busy.

Then, as far as I can see, he's gonna be too busy to help you with questions, too busy to get you the pics you need - Basically, you still don't know much about the actual condition of this car.

Still, if a person is that busy, and would take the time to do a video, wouldn't you want to at least do a decent one, so you don't have to do a second one, or a third?  (I still question this.)

If that was me, I'd do a good video once.  have a nice slow pan of the outside showing any damage, and then showing the inside.  then under the car.  Then I'd show it starting up and running and/or driving.

It's really hard to make a decision to buy a car, when you can't see it very well. 

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 03:28:16 PM »
Don't know about the fuel gauge on the Spirit, whether it's the gauge or float, but I just assumed/was told it would be an expensive and/or time consuming fix.

His two other cars are both on c-list, but he said he's just a DIYer. With at least three cars for sale, I'm sure he's got too much on his hands. I'm a pretty patient person, so I'm working with him as much as possible to sort this out.

I've got my fingers crossed hoping for some good pictures, still waiting for a reply. He's usually on at night, so we'll see later.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 05:17:58 PM »
the fuel gauge sending unit is real easy to replace. (as long as you can find someone to sell ya one) its quite easy to get to, and dont take but 10-15 min to replace it. its probably just like my spirit, got rust on the sending unit and it dont send info to the gauge anymore. hope you get things strait with the sx4. i have 2 sx4 sports i drive all the time. LOVE them. one i would consider selling, but you wont want to come to oregon. (nothing rusts here either) lo.

Darn, wish I was in Oregon :P

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 06:46:30 PM »
Sorry I'm really late to the party here. But i can tell what the second pic is, and to my eye it doesn't look good.

What it is, is an under car view on the passenger Side looking foreward. At the front you can see the half shaft. However, if you look up just behind the body lip, in that picture it looks to be quite crusty, and to me it looks like the crusty that isn't just surface either.

If you want my opinion, and I haven't read all the replies on the second page yet. But i would go look at it in person, this guy(I think) is just an idiot with a camera, but if you can muster the gas to go out and look at it. Do it. Hard to find an SX/4 for 1000 that dosent need a whole lot of work. But if it has serious rot under the rocker panel trim, walk. Doesn't really matter how low he goes just walk, if your saying you can't do the work yourself it isn't worth the headache.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 07:29:46 PM »
Hi Mechanic, thanks for the info! It does look kind of bad, but it's hard to tell because the pictures are such low resolution. However, if there is a bit of excess rust/corrosion, I saw a post by thereverendbill at the East Coast Sanctuary offering free labor to nesters for all body work/metal work. If this is true, I'd be more than willing to help them out to the best of my ability as they require. As I previously stated, my friend lives about 20 min from there, so I could probably spend a weekend at his place this summer if need be.

I don't know how much materials would cost, but I could probably afford a couple hundred tops. I don't think materials would be that expensive, stuff like sandpaper, fiberglass or metal, primer, paint, etc.

Here is where I saw the labor post: http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=33802.0

Offline Mechanic

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 08:03:40 PM »
I also bought an SX/4 with rust issues, and i can reel ya it definitely won't be materials that will kill ya, it's the amount of work involved.

Here is my SX/4 and what's wrong with it, along with my fix.

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=31701.0

Offline Mechanic

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 08:05:26 PM »
Sorry, i lied, that's not the rust thread......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk