News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:53:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Iowa Eagle's SX/4  (Read 85023 times)

Offline OntarioEagler

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
  • Official Good Will Amabassador -- 84 LTD
Re: Iowa Eagle's SX/4
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2006, 01:03:15 PM »
<<snip>>
Anyway, don't want any chrome on my car.  What little bit that is left is just fine with me.

I don't like all that chrome on some of my Eagles either.  It is ok on the Woodies but not so nice on the black Eagles. 

I am going to repaint my "new" SX/4 one of these days.  And I am thinking of repainting one of the black Eagles too.

For the SX/4 I was thinking of the original silver/gray (or whatever that color is called), matte black for the hood center section, matte black lowers and stern, matte black flairs, and matte black trim around lights etc.

How do you find driving that hi contrast hood?  I don't want a bright reflecting hood so I was thinking of the matte black centre section as long as the contrast is not distracting or tiring. 

Is there good paint available to paint those flairs?  I suppose it has to be flexible.  Any special surface prep?

I really like the way your SX/4 turned out.  Please keep the stern in "stealth" mode.  It looks  great... to me at least!

OntarioEagler

82 SX-4
84 LTD Wagon
87 DL Wagon
88 DL Wagon
Another 87 DL Wagon is a work in progress

Britt, Ontario, on Georgian Bay, 300 km North of Toronto

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2006, 01:05:51 PM »
Beautiful SX4 ,I was wondering tho....Is that valve cover original? I seem to have the same bolt pattern on my 87 but mines plastic and got a leaky gasket :-[
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2006, 01:11:45 PM »
Sounds like you are doing about what I did.  I used a thinned oil-based black agricultural/equipment paint on all black areas (a whole lot cheaper than automotive paints).  In fact it has stuck better on the krayton than any where else -- but overall has stuck well all over.  I did pick up a quart of Rustoleum smoke gray gloss to test out.  Its darker than the OE silver mist my car was.  But I think it will look nicer.

I get no noticeable glare from the black "power bulge".  Its a bear to get masked off right on the front curve and I need to tweak mine a bit when I redo it.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2006, 01:13:13 PM »
Beautiful SX4 ,I was wondering tho....Is that valve cover original? I seem to have the same bolt pattern on my 87 but mines plastic and got a leaky gasket :-[

No its the replacement us guys/gals use for the nasty plastic covers.  It will not work on the late heads -- '88 for sure and it sounds like your '87 unless that is one of the replacement ones. 

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2006, 01:52:50 PM »
Thanks ,I'll have to investigate a little further.I was going to have it installed but I noticed my plastic one was wider and fewer bolt holes than my aluminum one.
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2006, 01:54:57 PM »
The replacement has additional bolt holes but nothing like the late heads.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

siguy8

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2006, 04:06:12 PM »
So this got 25-30 mpg with no mods? A plain old 82 SX/4 Sport 6 Cylinder with an auto tranny. Would the 5 speed manual do the same?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2006, 06:30:37 PM »
Some emissions related mods and the TFI upgrade.   But nothing really radical or what anybody else could not do over a weekend -- depending where you love.  The five speed should do well -- mostly depends on your axle ratio.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

siguy8

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2006, 07:04:47 PM »
OK. Where do I find out what the axle ratio is and what axle ratio is the best for mileage? Thanks.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2006, 08:03:46 PM »
2.35 is the best ratio, offered in the AMC Eagle, for MPG.   The code is stamped on the right side axle tube boss in the rear and on a tag attached to the differential cover in front.  You will want to look for a "L", "J" , "F" or "E".  L is 2.35; J is 2.73; F is 3.08 and E is 3.54.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

siguy8

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2006, 12:08:16 AM »
Thanks.

thefleshpot

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2006, 12:16:52 PM »
having the original paperwork is very cool. and the stain on the builders order is like a stamp of authenticity

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2006, 12:22:21 PM »
Yeah, it was stuck to some insulation.  It was so brittle I thought I would tear it.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Deathwarror

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Angrykid
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2006, 11:19:25 PM »
Was underneath my car today and most of my systems are gummed up.  the ouly reason i was down there is that my for wheel drive aint working. cant seem to get vaccum from the spot where the front line hooks to the pipes that go under neath the car to the front switch.  betting there is a whole bunch of grease in those lines. Came out with a grease covered hand.  i believe i saw the sticker just startng to peel. not sure but looks like it.  The sticker on the solo vac on the carb was still there covered in the junk. its peeled of the front but the rest is still there.

I definitly get that 4wd working because they say it is going to be a wet winter.  From the looks of it they are telling the truth.  Had about a 1ft 1/2 of snow fall on wednesday night till about thursday after noon.  theres still a foot of snow out there but i dont care.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2007, 02:08:56 PM »
Eagle in Ice.  Click on pix to enlarge.

Have not been driving the Eagle much as the roads, with all the ice storms, are heavily, heavily seasoned with salt brine. 

Concord slowly getting buried

I had the Jeep out this morning.  It was pretty well cleaned off.  Has now been sitting 2 1/2 hours.

You can't see it very well but there are scores of icecicles hanging from the rain gutter.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk