News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 10:47:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dash clock  (Read 2763 times)

Offline luvmyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
dash clock
« on: May 05, 2013, 07:42:28 PM »
i'm having a problem with my quartz clock in the dash........it will get dim then my radio starts going on and off, when the clock is bright the radio works fine..........it is an aftermarket radio (kenwood) that i've had for a couple years with no problem.....i had a problem with a mouse in the car recently but not sure if that is the problem...any help would be appreciated as i plan on investigating the problem....ground, fuse anything info helpful....all other things work fine.........thanks

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: dash clock
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »
It could be related, or coincidental. It sounds like a loose connection for sure.

Is it related to temperature? When you first start the car or after a while? Does having the parking lights on affect it? How about when the dash light dimmer is turned?
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:06:28 PM »
Sounds like the dash ground is corroded or the block to body (or battery negative to body) strap is shot/loose/corroded badly. Remember the law of automotive electrics! Power is fleeting (on/off when engaged by the operator) but ground must be clean and permanent!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline luvmyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »
where would the dash ground be located?........also i read a post on running another ground wire from the black wire that goes to the ignition control module....could someone refresh me on that one also as i can't find the post that was on that one.......thanks

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »
Located on the engine side of the firewall.   Its easier to just had a heavier ground wire to the body in a location that will not easily be affected by corrosion or work loose.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk