News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 10:58:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ok, this doesnt look good  (Read 2381 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Ok, this doesnt look good
« on: December 25, 2011, 08:54:47 PM »
I was out in the garage tonight trying to trace down why my fog lights dont work and I just happen to notice this junction block on the driver side fire behind the master cylinder...burnt to a crisp. Other than the fog lights the electrical system seems to work perfectly what is this block for?
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
Re: Ok, this doesnt look good
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Here is a shot of the fuse box....There is alot of extra wires plugged into in yet they are installed neatly and securly, There is no extra electronics on the car, would this be someones by-pass of that burnt up panel? My brain is smokin!! I cant figure out how this thing is still running good with those burnt up wires.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »
That's just the junction block for getting all those under-dash wires out to the engine bay to go whereever they need to go.   The "add-on" stuff on the fuse box looks like the factory "option" connectors to me.   Get the wiring diagram to trace them down (I think its on the Nest somewhere).   I don't think its a hack.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline n9xvt

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 09:32:20 PM »
you sure its burnt? looks more like road grime and sealant to me,,
now i wanna run out and look under my hood,,
so i did,, and looks like mine
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 09:39:38 PM by n9xvt »

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »
Huh  :-\ .....Ill be be darned, I dont know how I never noticed that on the 9 other eagles ive owned through the years, but I just went and looked at the other 2 wagons I have and sure enough they look just like that...You just made my day n9xvt!!!I would have sat up all night stressing about that....what is that stuff? some kind of sray silicone or somthing? It sure has the appearance of fried plastic...got my blood preassure up for sure. If only every problem was as easily resolved as this one!!!

Offline n9xvt

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 11:09:25 PM »
not real sure,, but from factory experience we used hot melt glue,, worked in alphabet JCI for about a year and we injected it in there,,those connectors <on GM anyway> got the glue and a stick on gasket,, keeps water out of footwells,,glad i made you day a bit better though!  :occasion14:

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 11:12:07 PM »
That would have been a nightmare to replace all that wiring...and I hate doing electrical work...I screw it up 60% of the time....Thanks again!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk