News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 10:21:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Computer working or not?  (Read 6384 times)

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
Computer working or not?
« on: March 24, 2015, 10:45:51 PM »
How to tell if the 'computer' on the Eagle is working or not?! How do you tell? Is there a simple way?!  I hope. I need answers! Jayson
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: Computer working or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:51:03 PM »
I'm guessing your Eagle still has its original Carter BBD carburetor.

For starters, does your Eagle start and run? If it starts and runs, try this: Take off the air cleaner. Now look down through the carburetor throat for the two little plungers. Have someone start the engine while you're watching the little plungers. They should move forward and backward and then settle somewhere near the middle of travel.

CAUTION: Be sure you protect your face against carburetor backfire while you're looking down the throat!

Post up the results of the above and let's go from there.
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 12:55:42 AM »
And that also begs the question "Why do you think its not working??".    Symptoms??
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 07:05:31 AM »
If  your computer is working, you might just need a blast of carb cleaner or the bowl may need cleaning. They love to attract dirt.

If it's not working do the ECM Test Bypass. Unhook the computer from the back of the carb, use a pair of needle nose pliers to slide the 2 pins back a bit.

The good thing about the ECM Test is that you can always reverse it quite easily.

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 09:33:42 AM »
the computer also controls timing from the fuel ratio, and a knock sensor. the knock sensor is on the front portion of the intake manifold. I circled it in red on an attached picture. if you tap on the intake near the intake sensor, the computer will attempt to change timing to stop the knock noise that it hears. I have found out that the Snap-On scanners have the ability to show a data stream for the 258. if you select jeep, then the model year of your eagle, 258-4.2L, and trans and A/C option. it will show you what the computer is, or isn't doing, and the various inputs from sensors. I haven't spent enough time with it to understand how the system works, and my car is missing the pulse air and solenoids that control it.

1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 10:39:49 AM »
More than once the ECM test bypass has fixed weird problems in an Eagle for me.  It is quite easy to do, but remember to reset the timing after doing the work, as it is no longer controlled by the computer, and timing will be retarded.  If you can find an old Eagle to harvest parts from, you can make a plug-and-play wire harness so no factory wires need to be cut or spliced.  I think I did a thread somewhere here years ago, but don't remember where......Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 04:01:01 PM »
I will be following this closely.  I am trying to get a response from my ECM as well.  It does not initialize and I've tried multiple steppers and two ECMs.  Oxygen sensor is brand new and all switches are tested and working.  I have it bypassed currently but would like to return it to stock, minus the air injection.  I would love to see a thread where someone troubleshoots and repairs the stock system instead of ditching it.

This article is a big help as the Jeeps of the era are nearly identical:
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:01:59 PM by macdude443 »
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 04:14:06 PM »
Do you need the ECM in your part of the country?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 06:26:08 PM »
I should add that the computer is located behind the passenger side kick panel. I would recommend taking the package tray out when removing the kick panel. You also will want to be careful with the vacuum solenoids bolted to the valve cover. Perform an ohm test before you hook them to the computer, as I have found they will go bad, and draw more current than they are supposed to. That is not good for the computer, and can risk damaging it.
I'm not sure what the ideal resistance specification is off the top of my head, but I have found it before.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:37:14 PM »
The set of valve cover solenoids I have ohm out to about 73 ohms each.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 11:11:02 PM »
from what I can find, that sounds  OK. I created a new page in the eaglepedia pertaining to the operation and diagnosis of the Computerized Engine control based off of the 82 TSM that IowaEagle added. hopefully this will be helpful.

http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Computerized_Engine_Control_Diagnosis
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 11:33:07 PM »
OK, I unplugged the computer cable and now it pings. I unplugged my other Eagle's computer and NO difference. Still runs the same and still pings. :( So, one I think is shot and one is working. Hmmmmm
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 08:17:44 AM »
Which cable did you unplug exactly? Mine pings badly under acceleration too when the computer is connected but unresponsive. I believe it has to do with the computer not retarding the timing correctly (because it isn't working).
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk