News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:22:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: carb? vac?  (Read 4510 times)

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
carb? vac?
« on: April 16, 2011, 02:10:35 PM »
Here is my sad story.  The 83 wagon has a reman motor with a non feed back carb.  For 5000 miles it has run so well it's hard to describe.  Peppy, starts whatever the weather just by turning the key, no choke needed, etc. 
We drove it from Little Rock to Omaha for the meet, and after the crew there found the vac leak it did great.

I recently drove it to another town 130 miles away.  Drove it all around town a good bit.
Started back, drove about 50 miles and stopped for gas.  It didn't start.  I finally used the booster battery thing I had, pumped it a good bit and it started.  Since then it wil not idle.  It will stall sometimes but it will start right back up with no problems.  I haven't had starting problems since then.

I have sprayed all kinds of stuff all over the motor, tightened everything I can find, and if it has a vac leak I can't find it.

I took it to a new Chrysler Jeep dealer that combined with a long time Jeep dealer that was closed in the big dealer whatever when the gubmit got involved.  I found out that the service manager and his 2 sons and a long time Jeep mechanic came over to the new place.

I took the wagon to them and later was told the carb should be rebuilt because it was dumping gas in the motor.  It would cost $351.  I questioned why a carb with 5000 miles had to be rebuilt and then I could hear the mechanic talking to the "service advisor".  He then said the carb has trash in it and he needed to take it apart and clean it.
I can get a carb from rockauto for about $175.  I picked up the Eagle and brought it home.
I don't think they even checked for a vac leak, even though I discussed it with the main service manager.

Will someone pinpoint the idle pickup tubes for me?
I can see gas flowing in the bottom of the carb.  In picture 2 there is gas coming out of the top opening,whatever that is, but not the one at the bottom of the picture.  The openings in pictures 1 and 3 are dry.
Let's call these pictures 1,2 and3.

I'm feeling discouraged about now.  I would like to retire someday (like a few years ago) but have to keep working to support my Eagle habit.  If I could get half of what I have in the whole fleet I wouldconsider giving someone else the pleasure of keeping them up, but I know that's not going to happen.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: carb? vac?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 10:49:40 PM »
Picture two are the venturi boosters. That's where fuel should be coming from under speed, but not at idle.

I might suggest to check if the return line were clogged. It could be overfilling the carb, then I'd take the top off, adjust the float, and spray anything out with cleaner.

You could have picked up some dirty gas or had some dirt in the tank. It may be easy enough to fix without a lot of money.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:00:55 AM »
Even if the carb needed a "rebuild" it's only about $20 for the kit and new float. The Napa kits come with a nice diagram and a couple adjustment tips. They are very easy to do, if you have a spare hour kicken around, lol.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 01:07:17 PM »
Thanks, Ben.  That's what I needed to know.  Gas does come out of the top (in picture 2) venturi tube at idle.

I just have trouble accepting that a carb with 5000 miles on it needs to be rebuilt.  I can easily believe that it could have trash in it.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline Softbuster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 08:43:31 PM »
My first thought would be to check the float, make sure it is not sticking anywhere in its range of movement, and make sure it does not have fuel in it.   Also check to see that the fuel inlet needle is seating properly.
1985 Eagle sedan rescue project

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »
I just came in from tinkering with this.  I have decided I'm not sure after all which are the idle tubes, but none of them are dribbling.

I did pull the needle valve (again).  It is not stuck.  Some gas did come out when I pulled it, but not a lot. 

After it goes dead I have to give it just a little pump to make it start.  That doesn't sound to me like it has too much gas.

I will check the float.  Thanks for that thought.  I also have a new fuel pump.  I may install it.

I'm Eagleless at the moment.  The 88 quit on the way to work this morning.  How many Eagles will I have to have in order to have one running?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk