News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 04:20:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Priya's SX/4 project  (Read 339474 times)

A-A EAGLE

Re: Priya's SX/4 project
« Reply #600 on: May 08, 2012, 03:11:46 PM »
On Ward's behalf, thanks guys!

I don't remember if Ward primed the lifters.  Hearing the tick in person it doesn't really sound like a lifter to me, it's a little louder and has more of a ringing sound to it than the lifter ticks I'm familiar with.

Further to the video:  You can see the oil pressure gauge in the video but the numbers are not legible.  It shows 45 psi at idle.

Think of the thin plate between belhouse and engine. This one sometimes touches the flexplate when a little bent. Engine runs terrific!!!

Anjo
Holland

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #601 on: May 08, 2012, 03:21:24 PM »
Think of the thin plate between belhouse and engine. This one sometimes touches the flexplate when a little bent. Engine runs terrific!!!

Anjo
Holland

Right Anjo, it sounded more like something like that to me than a lifter but we'll see.  I was really thrilled with how the engine ran too.  After the timing was set I let my foot off the gas and it settled down to a much slower idle than I'd seen on other carbureted cars.  At first I thought it was too slow but it ran so smooth I couldn't believe it, seemed like a brand new fuel injected motor.  We didn't even have to adjust the idle speed on the Holley carb, it was right on out of the box.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #602 on: May 08, 2012, 03:23:25 PM »
They look so good I was curious if it wasn't a professional job...so how much does something like that set you back? More than the cost of the wheels! :)

Yes, it was Waaayy more than the cost of the wheels.  Ward got the wholesale price but I think the retail price for that is around $1000 for four wheels.

Prafeston

« Reply #603 on: May 08, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
WOW!!! Yeah, that's pricey!!

...but you get what you pay for...they look great!

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #604 on: May 08, 2012, 03:38:31 PM »
Ya always do what you want. its your rig. agian i must say A++ looks great! the eye for the little details  is very impressive! i would love to see it in person!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #605 on: May 08, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »
Ya always do what you want. its your rig. agian i must say A++ looks great! the eye for the little details  is very impressive! i would love to see it in person!

Thanks again, Standup650.  It's not quite as impressive in person as it is in the pictures, there are a number of minor flaws in it that you can see in person but not in the pictures.  I've put probably a dozen or more scratches in it while assembling and trying to maneuver around the car in the very tight quarters of the hoist in the garage but all in all I'm still very happy with how it came out.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #606 on: May 08, 2012, 10:51:34 PM »
SOMETIMES it just takes a little while for a lifter to get filled back up with oil completely. all 3 of my eagles (one with brand new lifters when i did the 4.0 head swap) always tick a little when first started. no matter how long/short they have sat. the oil pressure pumps them up. what weight of oil are you running? i personally like to run 20/50 royal purple break in oil. it fills the lifters up pretty quick. then after breakin, i run synthetic 10/40 in my eagles with a zink additive. hope your lifter isnt ruined, just needing some time to fill up. how long did you run it?? it should have filled up in about 30 seconds or so.

The oil was 10W-30 Casper.

A-A EAGLE

« Reply #607 on: May 09, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »

The oil was 10W-30 Casper.
[/quote]

Put 15W40, or better, 20W50 in, you will be surprised. Old fashioned engines need thicker oil 'cause tolerancies in the design are much bigger than in newer engines. It even can solve the "ticking problem" although I'll stay with my former suggestion...... ;D

Anjo
Holland

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #608 on: May 09, 2012, 04:47:13 PM »
they also need zinc additive

Prafeston

« Reply #609 on: May 10, 2012, 09:23:41 AM »
I've taken my car to the shop for the oil changes so far...I wonder if they are doing this zinc additive!!

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #610 on: May 10, 2012, 10:25:43 AM »
The simple answer is that if you haven't specifically requested it, no they aren't, it would be an added cost item

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #611 on: May 10, 2012, 11:39:55 AM »
I'm not sure what kind of oil he used, I know it was made for  a diesel engine.

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #612 on: May 10, 2012, 11:51:34 AM »
I'm not sure what kind of oil he used, I know it was made for  a diesel engine.
i think some of the diesal oil still has zinc
I've taken my car to the shop for the oil changes so far...I wonder if they are doing this zinc additive!!
probaly not.

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #613 on: May 10, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »

on second thought, iirc your in canada. i cant say if they did the same there, but in the U.S. they took the zink out of the oils. you have to get special oil or a zddp additive.

Canada doesn't have it, you can still buy some specialty oils with it in there or buy it as a separate additive.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #614 on: May 11, 2012, 11:25:19 AM »
Guys, zinc is spelled with a "c", not a "k".

I talked to Ward and he put a special assembly lube on the cam to protect it during fire-up.  He said the oil is a series III heavy diesel oil and that is more than enough protection for the cam without the zinc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk