News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 01:02:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Priya's SX/4 project  (Read 341231 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: Priya's SX/4 project
« Reply #540 on: April 11, 2012, 10:00:16 PM »
Thanks guys!

rohnk

« Reply #541 on: April 11, 2012, 10:04:48 PM »
I have to admit something. At first I looked at the color combination and thought, that can't work. Seeing it now with how clean it is and having all the aluminum in place, it really brings it together.

Have you thought about get a paint match for your carpet and maybe doing a bit of pinstripping on the dash? That would really tie the dash together with the floor.

Can't wait to see your seats. Did you get them recovered in blue or purple?

rohnk

« Reply #542 on: April 11, 2012, 10:11:06 PM »
Can this thread be made a sticky? Priya has so much good and useful information here, it should be at the top of the list all the time. Just a thought.

Priya, if I can do half as well on my car as you have on your's, I'd consider myself a great mechanic/fabricator. You and your husband of course are the masters!

Well done. Keep the info coming.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #543 on: April 11, 2012, 10:36:28 PM »
I have to admit something. At first I looked at the color combination and thought, that can't work. Seeing it now with how clean it is and having all the aluminum in place, it really brings it together.

Have you thought about get a paint match for your carpet and maybe doing a bit of pinstripping on the dash? That would really tie the dash together with the floor.

Can't wait to see your seats. Did you get them recovered in blue or purple?

The pinstriping idea hadn't occurred to me, I'll give it some thought.  I didn't use the original Eagle seats as they were in poor shape.  I had a set of light blue seats from a 79 Monza that I liked a lot and Ward adapted them to the Eagle seat tracks and they're going in next.  They're a lighter blue than the rest of the Eagle interior but hopefully it won't be too far off.

rohnk

« Reply #544 on: April 11, 2012, 10:54:33 PM »
Ok. My brother had a Monza in high school. What a mess of a car! We had a lot of fun with it though.

Pinstriping would be nice. Maybe your name in purple script and maybe following the lines of the dash with a purple line just to highlight it. One idea I had for my car was to take the headliner into a shop that does embroidery on coats and hats and things and have the AMC Eagle head logo embroidered in the center of it. I won't mention colors yet for myself, I haven't fully decided yet.

Prafeston

« Reply #545 on: April 12, 2012, 03:59:01 AM »
I don't think I have seen the color interior before. What's with the Jeep steering wheel?

Also what is the black box behind the shifter?

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #546 on: April 12, 2012, 07:35:23 AM »
The interior is a custom color , as is the exterior : ) . Quite alot of work, and lots and lots of time and effort.
It's looking awesome !! I cringed at "useing the gasket puches" on metal , but now ya got me thinking : ).
I have a complete set and they are awesome and never thought of useing them on light metal ( aluminum).It cuts with a sheetrock knife, so guess they would work on it ( obviously they did ).
Looks great   :occasion14:

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #547 on: April 12, 2012, 07:48:47 AM »
Coming together very nicely priya! Funny I had the same issue with the glove box door on the miss' SX/4, no matter what I tried, I couldn't get a proper fit, lol. The aluminum overlay turned out great! Back a few years ago my girl found some faux stainless contact paper, she cut out overlays for my malibu's dash to get rid of some of the wood grain, lol. I still can't believe this will be a daily driver  8) .
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #548 on: April 12, 2012, 11:02:08 AM »
I don't think I have seen the color interior before. What's with the Jeep steering wheel?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that black box is a little space heater. Pretty nice idea for a winter car!

She mentioned the dash is from a Spirit AMX, so that's probably why it has a different color scheme.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #549 on: April 12, 2012, 11:23:58 AM »

I liked the style of the Jeep steering wheel better than the factory eagle sport steering wheel.  At some point in the future (if he gets the time) my husband is going to make a different centre cap for the steering wheel, probably just put "AMC" on it.

The black box behind the shifter is a car warmer for the winter.  When the block heater is plugged in it'll come on as well and warm up the interior a bit so I don't have to scrape windows.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:37:37 AM by priya »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #550 on: April 12, 2012, 11:25:52 AM »
The interior is a custom color , as is the exterior : ) . Quite alot of work, and lots and lots of time and effort.
It's looking awesome !! I cringed at "useing the gasket puches" on metal , but now ya got me thinking : ).
I have a complete set and they are awesome and never thought of useing them on light metal ( aluminum).It cuts with a sheetrock knife, so guess they would work on it ( obviously they did ).
Looks great   :occasion14:

You've got to give the gasket punches quite a whack to get through the aluminum.  I backed it up with a piece of particle board left over from cutting out a hole for the sink in our kitchen counter top.  Then you need to use a flat body hammer to take out the indentations left over from the punch.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:36:17 AM by priya »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #551 on: April 12, 2012, 11:29:02 AM »
Coming together very nicely priya! Funny I had the same issue with the glove box door on the miss' SX/4, no matter what I tried, I couldn't get a proper fit, lol. The aluminum overlay turned out great! Back a few years ago my girl found some faux stainless contact paper, she cut out overlays for my malibu's dash to get rid of some of the wood grain, lol. I still can't believe this will be a daily driver  8) .

While it'll be my "daily" driver, I only drive perhaps 1000 - 1500 miles a year and perhaps a couple times a week.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #552 on: April 12, 2012, 11:34:58 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that black box is a little space heater. Pretty nice idea for a winter car!

She mentioned the dash is from a Spirit AMX, so that's probably why it has a different color scheme.

The Spirit AMX dash was originally black so I dyed it the same colour as the other interior parts.  The Jeep steering wheel is a slightly different shade of blue.  The door panels, kick panels and rear interior tailight cover didn't get dyed so they are all a slightly different shade of blue as well and the front seats will also be a different shade too -close enough for me.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #553 on: April 12, 2012, 11:41:01 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #554 on: April 12, 2012, 12:56:13 PM »
The interior is a custom color , as is the exterior : ) .

Actually the blue of the interior is the factory colour.  I took a patch from the original factory door panel and sent it to a plastic dye manufacturer and they made up a blue to match it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk