News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 03:58:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Priya's SX/4 project  (Read 339473 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: Priya's SX/4 project
« Reply #360 on: April 03, 2011, 10:40:59 PM »
I'm looking for something that doesn't need any surface preparation.  I know in Ontario its common to spray the undersides of cars with used motor oil but I'm thinking there may be something else that can go directly on panels with surface rust.

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #361 on: April 04, 2011, 12:02:53 AM »
I'm looking for something that doesn't need any surface preparation.  I know in Ontario its common to spray the undersides of cars with used motor oil but I'm thinking there may be something else that can go directly on panels with surface rust.
when i went to the lord fusor training deal (I only went for an I car point) they didn't say a thing about surface prep
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #362 on: April 04, 2011, 12:10:09 AM »
Oh, well then maybe its just the ticket.  I'll check into it.  Thanks.

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #363 on: April 04, 2011, 09:33:28 AM »
Great Update! With the transmission in place, it's almost a complete car now!

Keep up the great work.
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #364 on: April 04, 2011, 10:25:36 AM »
It's a job well done, and you both have put alot of time ,$$$ , and effort into it.and it was just my own thought on it , myself I tend to be that a - retentive word, about stuff like that.I put my whole transfer case in a big plastic livestock water trough and cleaned it up that way , then the tranny next. Mine was so crudded over , and also when clean I could see if any and where the leaks were.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #365 on: April 04, 2011, 11:22:14 AM »
Great Update! With the transmission in place, it's almost a complete car now!

Keep up the great work.

Thanks Robert, it does feel good to have the major drivetrain components in place.

It's a job well done, and you both have put alot of time ,$$$ , and effort into it.and it was just my own thought on it , myself I tend to be that a - retentive word, about stuff like that.I put my whole transfer case in a big plastic livestock water trough and cleaned it up that way , then the tranny next. Mine was so crudded over , and also when clean I could see if any and where the leaks were.

Thanks 68AMXGOPAC.  I did feel a little twinge of reluctance putting that grotty trans and differential in place without cleaning them after spending so many months looking at a nice clean car.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #366 on: April 05, 2011, 08:33:35 PM »
Getting closer and closer.  I think NervousJim used to recommend something called waxoil, something they use in England.  I don't know if that is the right name or not, or if its even available in North America.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #367 on: April 05, 2011, 10:07:25 PM »
Actually I have an aerosol can of waxoil I'm spraying in the rockers, doors and insides of the rear quarters.  Maybe a company like rustcheck has something similar for the undersides of the car.

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #368 on: April 29, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »

HI    young lady I have been waiting patiently for an update . I know you have outher things to do but
                we need some news on this grand eagle ......So I am asking for some news or an update   

YOUR fan club ......Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #369 on: April 29, 2011, 11:40:27 PM »

HI    young lady I have been waiting patiently for an update . I know you have outher things to do but
                we need some news on this grand eagle ......So I am asking for some news or an update   

YOUR fan club ......Don

X2 (or more)
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #370 on: April 29, 2011, 11:43:46 PM »
X3, or X4, whatever... give us an update, Pul-ease!!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #371 on: April 30, 2011, 03:00:10 PM »
Hi guys,

Yes, I know its going very slowly, I've been mostly painting/dyeing interior parts I've got just about all of them done, except for the glove box door, heater/radio bezel and some parts I"m still trying to find, speaker grills for the front door panels and a package shelf.  I'm also having trouble finding the aluminum trim that goes around on the driver's side rear wheel flare (a wagon won't work, but I'm 90% sure the passenger side will work on the driver's side).  I can't put the all the interior in until I get that piece and can seal up the inside clips and get the carpet installed. Unfortunately I've got a growing list of things I need my husband to do so I'm waiting for a lot of that to be done before I can proceed further.  He's going to mount the tracks from the Eagle seats to the Monza seats and likely move the mounting holes so I can't install the carpet until that's ready. We got the rear window re-installed in the hatch and I've put some aluminum covered foam on the roof and passenger door.     I've got the silver dash pieces from a Spirit AMX I'm going to install but I want to try re-painting them first and no place has the aluminum colour plastic spray paint so I'm waiting (long time!) for an order of that to come into the local hobby shop and then Ward wants to re-do some of the under-dash wiring so I'll have to wait for that even once I get the dash pieces re-painted.

I'd like to install the headliner but as my car has a hatch spoiler I need hubby to work me up some sort of hatch release before that can go in.  I want to install the headlights, grill, and so on but before I do that I need to align the hood and fenders but I can't do that until the driver's door is aligned.  We tried to align it last weekend but couldn't get it high enough because all the adjustment was used up.  We plan on removing the driver's door today and slotting the adjustment holes so we can get more adjustment and get it into place, as it is now there's a noticeable gap between the side window frame and the door frame opening.  Ward is also planning to install the wiring for a hatch solinoid so I can get the headliner in and then he has a solinoid from some newer chev car he's goiing to try to fab in to open the hatch.  I could do some further assembly of the motor, but I'd like Ward to install the distributor first and I think he said he wants to hook up the trans lines and speedo cable before we mount accessories on the motor so I'm holding off on that as well.

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #372 on: April 30, 2011, 03:34:08 PM »

HI       Thank you for the update .I know were your coming from with waiting .You have to go
              one step at a time ..Its not easy waiting all the tine  when your getting this close to being dune
               Your fan club.............Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #373 on: April 30, 2011, 04:10:23 PM »
I'm 90% with you. That molding looks the same side to side.

Manitowoc WI

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #374 on: April 30, 2011, 06:28:24 PM »
I'm 90% with you. That molding looks the same side to side.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the rear  molding I've got on the passenger side I tried to fit to the driver's side and it fit right.

We spent a couple of hours this afternoon and got the driver's door lined up acceptably and the gap between the door weatherstripping and the door opening closed up enough not to leak.  The rocker panel had been replaced on the driver's side sometime before I got the car and there was a dent in the driver's side rear quarter panel so we're pretty sure the car had been hit on that side.  We had replaced the driver's door and the window frame was bent in which we straightened, but between that and the hit on the driver's side things didn't want to line up and there was a gap between the weatherstripping on the window frame where the roof meets the A pillar  and the door opening when the door was closed.  The body lines on the door are a little higher than the rear quarter and the front fender and the window frame isn't quite as close to the A pillar/roof corner as it should be and isn't quite as close to the roof/B pillar corner as it should be but it all fits well enough to seal and look reasonably lined up everywhere.  Turns out we didn't have to slot the hinge adjustment holes afterall, it just took a lot of loosening, lifting, moving, tightining and pushing on the window frame and so on.  Now I can align the hood, fenders and start putting on the headlights, grill, front valence, bumper, etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk