News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 07:07:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where to Start ? UPDATED 6/24/2011  (Read 8290 times)

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Where to Start ? UPDATED 6/24/2011
« on: June 04, 2011, 04:24:17 PM »
OK I recently bought a 1982 wagon . Everything seems to be in good working order although there is a smell of mouse in the thing. But what can you expect from a car that has been sitting in a hanger for 7 or so years.
 So far I have drained the gas replaced the fuel filter , done a complete oil change , tranny filter and fluid . Plus the whole tune up , plugs , wires , cap , rotor , air filter the whole nine yards . Now I am not a mech but do enjoy working on things like this . My question is where to start on a total restore ? The picture isn't great but it may help.any input ?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:30:29 AM by jamesdel »

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
Re: Where to Start ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »
fuel lines and brake lines
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 05:13:03 PM »
for i can see on this picture your eagle has a sagging rear end. it is a common problem on wagons. new rear leaf springs will correct that. chassis lubrication since it has been parked several years
because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 01:50:56 AM »
 I do the cheap easy less labor intensive stuff first. save money Then start tackling the big stuff bit by bit
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 08:49:12 AM »
I'm sure there is some sag to the springs , I mean it is almost thirty years old. But it isn't as bad as it looks in the picture , It is  sitting in a bit of a low spot in the picture. But it is a s good a place as any to start. All very good suggestions, Hadn't even thought of the brake lines and yes they look pretty rusted up so I'm sure they are weak in spots . Thanks for all of the ideas folks !
Jim

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 09:51:35 AM »
I agree with the brake lines. No sense going if you can't stop. I'd check over the cooling system, hoses & maybe a flush & fill. May sound kind of obvious, but check the brakes when you do the lines. Other than that, looks nice. Also would agree on the grease job. Usually do that along with the oil change.
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 10:12:22 AM »
look for scale when you check the brake and fuel lines.  I started with replacing the fuel line due to several really bad rust spots that I didn't trust and low and behold right after I got it installed the brake line started leaking from being disturbed while replacing the fuel line.  It's not the hardest job in the world to replace those lines but it does take some time to remove the old lines and bend the new lines as close as possible to the originals (I took mine out in 2 pieces)
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 01:14:08 PM »
For the suspension sag, I found that replacing the shock with some coil over load leveling shocks helped firm up the ride and lift a sagging back end.  It's a good stop gap measure untill you can get to replacing the springs.

Nice car!

Cheers
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 08:24:55 PM »
all good Ideas and think I shall start with the cooling system ! Its gonna be a couple of weeks befor I can get it inspected any way . Brake lines and  fuel lins after that and then will look into the coil over shocks :) thanks again guys for the ideas ! I want to get this thing back on the road and as safe as it can be , which does not look like it should be that hard  , But as we all know about the best laid plans of mice and men !! Yep thats me !!!!
Jim

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 10:57:43 AM »

HI    Jim  And  I have a son how is Jim also  and i have a 1982 Eagle the same color with out wood ....
                  You have good looking car there it does not look like it needs a total resto .. pen and paper go from
                  bumper to bumper wright down the things that need the most attention so on and so on ...

You said cooling first and go for it .....I like your Eagle ..what is inside color........Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 01:01:09 AM »
Ive looked over a car for hours and a then buddy noticed several things in the first 5 minutes that I had totally over looked. I always find it best to have a second pair of eyes look it over too....good luck :)
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 05:25:34 PM »
 Well got it town yesterday, Got me an $85 ticket in the process but hey it happens ! Teneagle it has a brownish dash and seats but the carpet is a sick orangeish color for lack of anything else to call it . And yea Shanebo had a friend stop after I got here yesterday, and your right he had a half dozen things before he even got out of his truck. Good part he said he would help fix it up :) and he is a pretty good Mech ! yep nice to have good Friends :)

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 05:53:13 PM »
Did somebody already suggest to change all the fluids on the car?
Maybe remove the valve cover and check for black sludge and run some seafoam to get the systems going again.
Then when you are driving it, watch the main rear seal and other seals, they may be dried out and start leaking.
This is a concern for basically all rubbery things under the hood: vacuum lines, fuel lines, water hoses fan belts (well those don't leak).
Last but not least, take all brakes apart and replace the worn parts.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 05:56:47 PM »
 On the road and all legal !!! But had the water pump go out tody. Yep been watching for leaks and such , not finding much of anything yet ! gonna change the oil again in a couple hundred miles and see what it looks like then !

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 10:40:06 AM »
 It sure is !! I got her all put back togher no problems, kinda scary though ! Got done No extra parts and no leaks ! Now that just don't happen with me ! Anyway took her out for a nice 150 mile round trip just to check everything out . Gonna change the oil and trans filter and fluid in a couple of day just to make sure all the crap is out of it .
Jim

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 11:33:57 AM »
This is a concern for basically all rubbery things under the hood: vacuum lines, fuel lines, water hoses fan belts (well those don't leak).
Last but not least, take all brakes apart and replace the worn parts.

Dammit, I was gonna say that   ;D

I'll X2 that.  Start replacing all the hoses under the hood.  Replace all the fluids, including rear end oil, and new grease in the nipples.

get some carb cleaner, spray it slowly into the carb, so you don't stall it right away, but spray it bit-by-bit until you get near like a 1/4 end of the can, then give it to her to stall it.  then you're gonna be letting it sit for like at least 6 hours.  Make sure it's at operating temp first.

new plugs, wires, coil (if you can do the HEI swap-over, that will be a big help)

Give your brakes a total shakedown.  check, clean, or replace.  I redid mine except for the master cylinder.  all new fluid, wheel cylinders, spring kit, drums, pads and shoes, etc.   all of it was cheap, except for the drums.  If you can't find the replacement drums (if you need them) there's a common jeep drum replacement that will fit.

Offline jamesdel

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 10:29:51 AM »
Well Have drove her to work for two weeks now guess its time for an update. Other then all four headlights pointing to a different spot , all is good !!! I changed the oil twice and the transmission filter and fluids twice. After the first change it was still shifting funny , change number two and she seems to be working fine. Getting almost 19 MPG until yesterday :) . I'm sure that the numbers will be lower this tank. Simple reason really, My drive to work is 34 miles one way 95% highway. Yesterday got about halfway to work , hit a deer , . well it hit me really. Didn't check out the damage. Got to work just to find I had forgotten my ID . Long story short I made the trip home and back in under 45 Minutes. Not even one Hic cup. Got to work Yesterday was payday, always cool!, got my check to find that they had screwed that up as well. I had worked 19 hours the week before got paid for 21. Yep sucks. After work finally screwed up the courage to look at the damage . Anyone know where I can get a new hubcap ? That's all it done was take the center out of the right rear hubcap. Lucky me :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk