News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 03:28:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A brand new Amc eagle  (Read 3785 times)

Offline Desert Eagle

• DJ TechNick
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
A brand new Amc eagle
« on: May 24, 2011, 08:42:12 PM »
So im thinking of building a new sx4, ive found a numerous amount of parts, and im now deciding if its worthy of investing in this type of build. id start with a donor car, strip it, restore the frame and body and go from there. The Delorean in now in production thanks to old stock parts, so i guess if i can find all the right parts an eagle can be born, and since i operate a powder coatings factory, each part can be properly re built and coated. its all possible assuming proper finances are available, and i have plenty of toy collections ready to sell, itd be built to look as my car (*deagle) does now, but with a fresh look to it, just because it appeals well and ive already been offered good money for my car, so i know if i built it i could sell it. it seems feasible, but what roadblocks would i most likley hit, i need a bit of help planning this out, i know it can be done
1982 Sx4, "Deagle" 67,000 miles
1984 Wagon, restored with 180,000 "Kamm-o"
1984 5 speed wagon, 130,000 miles, silver and maroon.... "Destro"
1968 Javelin Project,, i have no clue what to do with that 1

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
Re: A brand new Amc eagle
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 09:55:02 PM »
The biggest issue I can see would be doing the unibody and such. That would be the most daunting task of completely restoring an SX/4. The only other thing that could give you issues would be the plastic panels on the inside. Restoring those are a pain and finding good replaements even more so, as you may know. Beyond that, should be no more difficult than a normal restoration.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline Desert Eagle

• DJ TechNick
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 05:03:22 AM »
yea, im guessing that interior will be tricky, well im still trying to do the math of costs, this is somthing i really want to do tho,  i need to talk to people who've the experience of a build, i dont know what to expect with that body, i never saw how it was built so theres only so much that can be learned from reverse engineering it ,and dam id have to recoat the chassis, well i got the oven for that, but its going to be at least 1000$ to sandblast it.  anyway , whats the average cost of a restoration, if 20,000 isnt enough i may have to wait a few years
1982 Sx4, "Deagle" 67,000 miles
1984 Wagon, restored with 180,000 "Kamm-o"
1984 5 speed wagon, 130,000 miles, silver and maroon.... "Destro"
1968 Javelin Project,, i have no clue what to do with that 1

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 09:43:52 AM »
A complete total disassemble restoration from a reputable shop could be $20-60k depending on the condition of the vehicle. With prime examples popping up from time to time I don't think going to that extreme is necessary. Not to mention as with most restorations more money is spent than you could sell the finished vehicle for.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 10:55:50 AM »
I would strip it and send the body out to be "dipped", I hear that is easier on the metal.In some cases with thinner metals , the friction from sand blasting can cause issues, though you could soda blast it, but that takes forever !!!I did a few parts with the soda blasting , it is good on delicate pieces , but very time consumeing.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 01:15:07 PM »
One thing I can think that doing a complete resto serves, is you find alot of resources.  And it's not like there aren't people coming to the nest with cars that are either: have good bodies but run-down interiors, or Great interiors and rotting bodies.

Just think of it this way, IDK what the cost of doing a complete resto is, but after that, you're looking at having lifetime wheels.  That's gotta be worth the price of a new car - considering how long they last...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk