News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do whitewall studded tires exist that fit the Eagle?  (Read 783 times)

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Do whitewall studded tires exist that fit the Eagle?
« on: September 16, 2022, 02:29:22 PM »
I really should buy new tires. My stock tires were "P195" as written on the sales invoice. I prefer to use a stock or close to stock size. I think the P195 was a P195/75R15...

I think back in the day it would have come with whitewall tires and in fact I currently have whitewall studded tires on the front and blackwall studded tires on the back.

My Eagle is a winter driver for the most part so I would prefer whitewall tires ideally, then studded if possible.

Does anyone here know of a specific tire that fits for sure that is whitewall at least? I would prefer not an "all terrain tire" but a snow tire would be good too.

I don't want white letter tires. I am having a hard time finding a size and I'm not totally sure what fits, but I think a P205/70R15 would fit too?? I may wind up getting my stock wheels refinished so if that's the case then I'm fine just buying a tire online from wherever and having them mounted when the wheels are re-done.

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Do whitewall studded tires exist that fit the Eagle?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 05:45:34 PM »
Whitewall tires are increasingly hard to find.  With my online tire catalogs I see a couple all-seasons with a thin white wall, but that's about it.  Coker classic doesn't make anything like that either, from what I can see.

You may have to go with one or the other, I'm afraid.  Coker is the only tire I've seen that still has a true whitewall, and they do make radial all-seasons, if you want a real white wall tire.  Anything else would just be that sad 1" strip.  After you see the price, though, you may decide white walls aren't that important.

(Historical fun fact!  Natural rubber is white.  So when rubber tires came out, they were white too.  But people complained that over time the tires would look dirty, so now we dye the rubber black.  White wall & white letter tires have a layer of white in the sidewall construction which is then brought to the surface by various means.)
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Do whitewall studded tires exist that fit the Eagle?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 11:25:10 AM »
Whitewall tires are increasingly hard to find. 

Like he said.  I put some new tires on my 2 door sedan maybe 4 years ago and they seemed to be relatively easy to get.  Bought a 64 Merc last year and they were almost impossible to find.  There is a company out there that adds whitewalls to tires but I forget the name.  Good luck.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk