News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 03:43:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turns over and sputters but won't start  (Read 3063 times)

Offline SilentWolf8293

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Turns over and sputters but won't start
« on: January 31, 2017, 08:43:22 PM »
Hey guys and gals. I have a 1984 Eagle with the iL6. It's cold where I am and she's always stubborn about starting in the cold but at this point she just refuses and i'm not sure why. I've checked what I can check (Which isn't much honestly) and I can't find anything obviously wrong. When I turn the key the engine will turn over and start sputtering a little bit as though she's going to start but as soon as I let go it all stops (Sometimes with that grinding sound from the starter winding down). I've gotten her to stay running once for approx. half a second but she stalled out pretty quick. She didn't sound like she was running quite right when she was. Now it's been a few weeks since I've driven her just because I haven't had time (Or energy honestly. Snow's kind of a bummer around here). But when I did drive her last she was running just fine and there were no signs of distress that I could see. Also as a side note, I put some of that fuel conditioner (I think it's called HEET or something like that. Comes in a yellow bottle) in the tank when I filled it up the day before she didn't start. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but it's the first time I tried it. Thanks for the time, any (Constructive) advice would be much appreciated.

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Turns over and sputters but won't start
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:47:22 AM »
I would start by looking at the carburetor choke setting. That can of heet would be no problem.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:44:28 PM »
choke may be stuck shut. take air cleaner off and hold choke open, try again, good luck, gz

Offline Eagle SX4 Limited

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:28:11 PM »
Thanks for all the replies but the eagle is up and running great now. the timing was off and the float level needed to be set correctly. I am still going to sell her though. Keep an eye on ebay,she will be listed soon.

Offline SilentWolf8293

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 11:35:34 PM »
Hey guys. Thanks for the help but I managed to get her started and took her to my local mechanic and it turns out that my entire carb seems to be going bad. It's giving too much fuel to air and that's why she wouldn't start. Thanks again for the help

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk