News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 09:55:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone running Megasquirt on an Eagle yet?  (Read 13141 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Anyone running Megasquirt on an Eagle yet?
« on: April 23, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »
When I originally did the 4.0l head swap, fuel injection via Megasquirt was the plan. However I had to move from CO and went with a carb for ease of install. Well since the Eagle has been relieved of daily driver status I thought of revisiting a fuel injection install. I need to repurchase all the parts I originally had for the swap. I have been talking to a guy who has successfully squirted a bunch of Ford 2.3 turbos and is very interested in this since it will open up a huge customer base for him in the Jeep world. Just curious if anyone has one installed and running here. Installation will be quite a bit easier than using an OEM harness and the tuning capabilities will be infinite. He will actually be able to tune mine while I'm driving with my Blackberry tethered to my laptop which will be connected to the Megasquirt. Hoping to get some more power and better MPG.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

wagoneerhauler

Re: Anyone running Megasquirt on an Eagle yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »
Not yet.   >:(  Want to but just not there yet.  It was the initial plan for the wagon but things have been changed a lot, as they normally do.  Anyway, go for it and let us know how it turns out.

I do have a question about why the blackberry needs to be in between the laptop and megasquirt though?  Is this so later you can only use the blackberry or.... ?  Only wondering what the specifics there are.  I planned to use a SBC and have a touch screen to modify and view performance on the fly.  (and no that is not a Chevy.  haha  SBC = single board computer)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »
The reason for the Blackberry or other smartphone is because I'm in TN and he's in NJ. He can get it fine tuned while I'm driving in TN and him sitting in his living room in NJ linked to my laptop via the internet.

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »
I see.  I read it wrong.  I was taking it as megasquirt, blackberry, laptop.  Didn't realize you meant it was for  remote internet use.  Nice idea.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 02:09:31 AM »
Ive never heard of the megasquirt. Im nearing the point of getting the fuel injectors for my EFI conversion...Are they strictly high performance? They do sound pretty darn cool though...Im anxous to see what you go with.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:49:21 AM »
I plug a laptop into my Jetta, and can monitor the engine while my wife drives it. Good for troubleshooting.

There are lots of options for fuel injection right now. There are both port injection and throttle-body injection, and they can be both MAF (Mass Air Flow) and MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) controlled. There's a lot to read out there if you're interested.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 12:59:28 PM »
Ive never heard of the megasquirt. Im nearing the point of getting the fuel injectors for my EFI conversion...Are they strictly high performance? They do sound pretty darn cool though...Im anxous to see what you go with.
Megasquirt is an aftermarket programmable ECU. You can go wit a an OEM Jeep computer and harness but I wanted to get away from using the stock cumbersome harness. Also there may be some HP and MPG left on the table with a stock computer. If you wanted to goe with the Jeep ECU ,you can get a harness from Hesco for $498 but you will also need to either put a crank sensor in, either in your bellhousing which requires changing the flexplate or buy the Hesco damper crank sensor kit for $289. The assembled Megasquirt with harness will run about $650. The guy selling the Megasquirt wants to get away from the distributor and use Chevy LSx coils for better performance and MPG. I will have a coil for each plug but that will add $100-$200 depending how good of a deal I could find on them. The reason I'm going this route is because I don't want to have to mess with the Eagle's factory harness and have another ball of wires for the EFI.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
The base stays , dummy cap. I had seen this done on a Javalin at a Mopar show ( yeah they were nice enough to let AMC in on it ).I didn't understand it and had to stop back by the car later when he was there. Good Point Casper : ). I guess you could go with an elctric pump too. I saw a car with a reserve tank like thing between the seats , and somehow pressure would force oil through the engine before start up, not sure why?? maybe it was just an "overdone" application.

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 07:06:51 PM »
There are pumps made to pre and post lube engines, as a way to prevent wear when starting and (they claim) heat damage to bearings after shutdown.  These are typically setup to prevent starting until oil pressure is at running levels and they run maybe 5 mins after the engine is shutdown while the temp lowers.  This might have been what you saw GoPac.?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 02:00:51 PM »
I'm one step closer. I went to the junkyard yesterday and picked up the coveted 99+ 4.0l intake manifold, fuel rail and throttle body from a 91-95 4.0l and a throttle cable and bracket. I need to see how the TV cable, aka kickdown, works on a YJ with a 4.0l and a tf999 transmission. I'm hoping I will be able to adapt it to my 998 easily.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 12:16:17 AM »
 A couple things have changed, but still going with the Megasquirt which I will call MSII from now on. I had a friend call me and give me an opinion of the guy I was originally going to purchase the MSII stuff from and decided not to use him. My friend is going to walk me through it instead. No coil packs. He said the distributor and MSD I have will be fine. I bought the MSII and harness from diyautotune.com for $502 shipped. The harness comes with a connector to the ECU but I will have to solder on connectors for the injectors, sensors, etc. I received it in the mail today and will start on the harness probably during the week. I need to finish my bumper project first.

This will be fun.  ;D

wagoneerhauler

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »
Progress, sweet!

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »
Are you going to be running batch or sequential fuel injection?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 05:18:12 PM »
Batch. Sequential is quite complicated and not worth it ,in my opinion, on a low revving engine like the ours.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 01:03:44 AM »
My brain is smoking just looking at it ;D I would love to put that on my eagle but the jeep EFI and ECM Ill be using is already proving to be a challenge for me. I cant wait to see how it turns out though...Looks like some pretty awesome injectors!!
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 12:40:14 PM »
I went and had the Eagle dyno tested this morning to get before numbers. It was on a Dynojet dyno and averaged 135hp and 192 ft lbs. It was actually running a little lean so there is more HP available out of the Motorcraft carb. Doing the industry standard of 20% drivetrain loss from an auto transmission, that translates to 162hp and 230 ft lbs of torque at the flywheel. Hopefully in a few weeks I will be up and running with the MS and EFI to get the after figures. I will post the dyno graph later on today.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:43:24 PM by eaglefreek »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 01:02:06 PM »
How are you able to run a 4 wheel drive vehicle on a rear wheel dyno?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 01:28:39 PM »
My Eagle is in 2wd 99.999999999999999% of the time on the road. No difference on a dyno.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 08:06:43 AM »
Actually those numbers are comparable to a Jeep 4.0L. The HP numbers I've seen online for  4.0L's are similar but less torque than mine. My engine is a stock unrebuilt bottom end from an 81 Eagle, 4.0 head, Comp cams camshaft. Since the 258 had 110 hp from the factory I would assume a stock Eagle would put down numbers in the 80's or 90's. 

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 12:06:05 PM »
My Eagle is in 2wd 99.999999999999999% of the time on the road. No difference on a dyno.

I forgot many Eagles can be switched from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive.  Do you know if there's anyway to chassis dyno a full time 4 wheel drive like my 81 SX/4?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 03:06:57 PM »
Yes, you will have to find an AWD dyno. Do some searching on the net for your area. Also find a performance shop that specializes in Subarus and they may know if there is an AWD dyno nearby. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk