News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:42:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is a good replacement ICM?  (Read 18282 times)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
What is a good replacement ICM?
« on: April 20, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »
So I recently swapped in my spare ICM to troubleshoot another problem.  It is a Standard Motor Products brand.  I noticed more power and my spark knock seemed to decrease.   Went for a 2 hour highway trip the other day and after pulling a decent hill, the engine started to sputter and miss badly.  After it flattened out for a while it stopped and ran fine.  Then it'd start missing again.  Pulled over for five minutes and shut it off.  Loosened the gas cap, thinking it was a vent line issue to the tank.  Started it up, ran fine for another few miles then acted up again.  At one point I couldn't get up over 45 MPH it was stumbling so bad.  When we got to the destination I replaced the fuel filters and checked the carb fuel inlet valve.  No problems.  Filters weren't old to begin with.  Drove around town, noticed it starting to act up again.  I decided to change the only other thing I had messed with before this problem started.. the ICM.  I put my old Wells unit back in and drove all the way home without it acting up once.

Does anyone have a good experience with a certain brand Duraspark module?  Seems they're all junk these days.  I bought a Motorcraft DY893 from Rockauto, which is the Ford car replacement for the blue grommet modules (not listed under Eagle).  I guess we'll see.  Has anyone had a good experience with the Stealth HEI setup?  Sounds like a good idea, I just don't like the lack of the timing retard feature.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: What is a good replacement ICM?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 02:52:46 PM »
I've heard the aftermarket ICM's don't have the spark retard feature, but don't have any personal experience. After a 6 month old import ICM left me stranded in an intersection while going to lunch with a co worker and he had to help me push it, I installed an MSD Street Fire CDI and haven't had a single problem in almost 5  years.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 03:36:22 PM »
I've considered the aftermarket CDI ignitions but they will not work with the computer from what I can tell.  I'm trying to keep it original.  In the end that may be fruitless, which, for those who like stock setups, is really lame.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 03:49:45 PM »
I did the msd route as well. Never a problem. Starts easier than the one i did the gm hei 1 wire problematic distributor  too. I had a mallory with the photoeye garbage years back on a ford before i had an eagle. It failed just after the warranty, and the photo eye thing was :censored: near the price of the whole unit. So i never will trust mallory again.

Manitowoc WI

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 04:42:22 PM »
I did the msd route as well. Never a problem. Starts easier than the one i did the gm hei 1 wire problematic distributor  too. I had a mallory with the photoeye garbage years back on a ford before i had an eagle. It failed just after the warranty, and the photo eye thing was :censored: near the price of the whole unit. So i never will trust mallory again.

Is the MSD module wired direct to the original Motorcraft distributor?
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 04:53:57 PM »
Mine is not, i got the msd dissy as well. However i am almost certain i remember you can,or could buy the wires to use your stock mc dissy.

Manitowoc WI

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
I'm wondering if the MSD ignition could be triggered by the ECM the way the original ICM was?
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 05:13:25 PM »
Nope. Best thing would be to just to bypass it all. IMO.

Manitowoc WI

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 05:18:13 PM »
Nice thing is, is that the msd 6a box can run any msd dissy. I am sure there might be an exception. But if i converted a 4cyl boat i could use that box. If i had a say 460 ford same box.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 09:19:24 PM »

Is the MSD module wired direct to the original Motorcraft distributor?
Yes. If you are keeping the ECM then a Duraspark is your only choice I suppose. I'm not even sure what the ECM does with the ICM. I assume it advances or retards timing.

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 03:16:56 AM »
I got one from NAPA that seemed to be of higher quality than the Autozone brand ones. Bought it when my original ICM went out in 2012 and haven't had any issues since. Although, I bought a second one that I keep under the passenger seat just in case.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 06:41:59 AM »
I changed to an HEI distributor and took the stock "computer" controlled crap out of the equation. A newer ignition system really will improve your car...keeping it stock is nice but a boost in HP and economy is even nicer. You can always revert a ECM Test bypass as well.

When I did my swap I just unhooked the computer and ran the wires from the ICM to the HEI, very easy hookup and I never spliced a wire, just unhooked the stock items.

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 08:48:51 AM »
So I recently swapped in my spare ICM to troubleshoot another problem.  It is a Standard Motor Products brand.  I noticed more power and my spark knock seemed to decrease.   Went for a 2 hour highway trip the other day and after pulling a decent hill, the engine started to sputter and miss badly.  After it flattened out for a while it stopped and ran fine.  Then it'd start missing again.  Pulled over for five minutes and shut it off.  Loosened the gas cap, thinking it was a vent line issue to the tank.  Started it up, ran fine for another few miles then acted up again.  At one point I couldn't get up over 45 MPH it was stumbling so bad.  When we got to the destination I replaced the fuel filters and checked the carb fuel inlet valve.  No problems.  Filters weren't old to begin with.  Drove around town, noticed it starting to act up again.  I decided to change the only other thing I had messed with before this problem started.. the ICM.  I put my old Wells unit back in and drove all the way home without it acting up once.

Does anyone have a good experience with a certain brand Duraspark module?  Seems they're all junk these days.  I bought a Motorcraft DY893 from Rockauto, which is the Ford car replacement for the blue grommet modules (not listed under Eagle).  I guess we'll see.  Has anyone had a good experience with the Stealth HEI setup?  Sounds like a good idea, I just don't like the lack of the timing retard feature.
did you have a misfire at one point in time, if it was ran for a long time, the coil may have been damaged as well. electricity likes to take the easiest path to ground, and it is possible for the secondary coil to short the primary coil inside the ignition coil, which the sends a shock to the ignition module, that was intended to go to the spark plug instead.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »

did you have a misfire at one point in time, if it was ran for a long time, the coil may have been damaged as well. electricity likes to take the easiest path to ground, and it is possible for the secondary coil to short the primary coil inside the ignition coil, which the sends a shock to the ignition module, that was intended to go to the spark plug instead.

Well, when the problem occurred it was missing, shuddering and randomly pinging so severe I could hardly keep the car up to speed.  It's very possible it damaged the coil.  The coil is an MSD Blaster 2F, about a year old.  After putting back the old Wells module I haven't had it act up or miss at all.  However, it isn't as "frisky" as the newer module was  ;).

In regards to the ICM test bypass, I'm not interested at this point.  I did that when I first bought the car and it ran like a turd no matter what I tried.  Other than this odd problem and a slight bog off idle (I've had this the whole time I've owned it) it's running very nicely with the ECM connected.  I've also gone through the work to find and repair all bad pieces of the original system so I don't want to just ditch it at this point.  I would also prefer to use the Motorcraft distributor and I am aware I can use it with an MSD box, should I ever want to go that route.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:24:40 AM by macdude443 »
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 11:01:53 AM »
Just thinking out loud. The oem setup has the distributor pickup signal going from the distributor to the ECM and then to the ICM and controls timing. I wonder if you can keep the ECM and still use a CDI like an MSD or the like and still have the ECM control timing. The CDI won't know the difference if the signal is coming directly from the distrib.utor or the ECM.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 11:42:34 AM »
Just thinking out loud. The oem setup has the distributor pickup signal going from the distributor to the ECM and then to the ICM and controls timing. I wonder if you can keep the ECM and still use a CDI like an MSD or the like and still have the ECM control timing. The CDI won't know the difference if the signal is coming directly from the distrib.utor or the ECM.

That's what I'm thinking. Obviously you can switch the ICM to a direct connection to the pickup when a bypass is done, so the trigger signal is no different.  The only difference is the wiring. The ECM sends the trigger signal to the Orange wire via a light green harness wire. The violet is left unused.

The bypass connects the violet and orange at the ICM directly to the dist pickup.

The MSD would need to be triggered using only the Orange wire, like the ICM is when the ECM is in the loop. I'm not sure if it'll work with the violet disconnected. They have a tech support line. Time to call I guess.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 12:25:21 PM »
The misfire may have been from the ignition module overheating from firing a non-stock coil. Did you do a big cap (AKA Team RUSH) upgrade? The higher spark from non-stock coil can jump between terminals. When warm the bits of carbon and metal inside the cap will "stand up" from magnetism and make a spark pathway. I had major issues with a stock ignition rotor allowing spark to bypass with a Dodge electronic ignition coil swapped in. A new quality brand rotor fixed it.
   I would either go HEI (Skip White is ready to go in when I have time) or go retro. You can remove the internals of the Eagle Motorcraft dist and swap in the points setup from a Ford six of early '70s vintage. Points will run an MSD 6A and if lubed correctly, may never need changing again.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 02:16:28 PM »
The misfire may have been from the ignition module overheating from firing a non-stock coil. Did you do a big cap (AKA Team RUSH) upgrade? The higher spark from non-stock coil can jump between terminals. When warm the bits of carbon and metal inside the cap will "stand up" from magnetism and make a spark pathway. I had major issues with a stock ignition rotor allowing spark to bypass with a Dodge electronic ignition coil swapped in. A new quality brand rotor fixed it.
   I would either go HEI (Skip White is ready to go in when I have time) or go retro. You can remove the internals of the Eagle Motorcraft dist and swap in the points setup from a Ford six of early '70s vintage. Points will run an MSD 6A and if lubed correctly, may never need changing again.

It isn't a stock coil, as I mentioned.  I still have the stock coil.  I did the big cap upgrade with quality brass cap, etc.  Are you saying I need to go back to the factory small cap?  I'm confused.  I haven't had the problem since putting my old module back in.  That tells me that the new module was acting flaky when it got hot.  If the old one doesn't mind the big cap and MSD coil, shouldn't I be ok?  The plugs are currently NGK and factory gapped at .035.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 02:29:20 PM »
I know this is getting sidetracked with MSD, but I was looking at a diagram and maybe the spark output wire from the ECM(MCU) could go to the white wire of the MSD which is typically triggered by the points when using a points distributor or just run it to the MSD violet wire like it normally would and leave the MSD green wire unhooked.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 02:31:19 PM »
I know this is getting sidetracked with MSD, but I was looking at a diagram and maybe the spark output wire from the ECM(MCU) could go to the white wire of the MSD which is typically triggered by the points when using a points distributor or just run it to the MSD violet wire like it normally would and leave the MSD green wire unhooked.

This is what I was going to call about.  I just haven't had the chance.  It's a good idea for down the road, but I'm sure I can get a decent module somewhere.  The Ford guys run these Duraspark units still and it is even a known upgrade from points.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 02:46:24 PM »
The big cap is needed with a high output coil. I didn't know you did that already.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
The big cap is needed with a high output coil. I didn't know you did that already.

Yeah, sorry.  I should have mentioned.  I had the plugs gapped to .045 like the TR instructions recommended.  When I had the issues with pinging I started running the NGK plugs, which have two ground straps and factory set to .035, so I didn't mess with the gap.

- Blaster 2F coil (with original horse-shoe connector - have a replacement connector I can splice on if needed)
- ECM operational, stepper connected and operating, brand new EGR valve, charcoal canister working, new cat, sol-vac adjusted and working
- Ignition system wiring is stock
- Team Rush upgrade (big dist cap with brass terminals, taller dist. rotor, 8mm plug wires)

1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
I wonder if you could melt the rubber out of a Duraspark and repair the damaged component(s).

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 04:04:20 PM »
I wonder if you could melt the rubber out of a Duraspark and repair the damaged component(s).

I've thought about it. If I find a bad, original AMC/Motorcraft unit.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 11:40:01 AM »
They can be melted out, with a heatgun or in the oven, but you take the risk of damaging other parts.

The original ignition system had problems from the get go, and newer manufactured parts are mostly rebranded Chinese junk. I bought a new starter solenoid and it caused so many issues I couldn't keep the car going. Pulled one from a junked Eagle and the car worked great.

Your problems could be a small vacuum leak causing timing problems, buggy ECM when it heats up, or a intermittent wire. If you're getting pinging when putting the pedal to the metal than your timing is off.

Now, on another note, a GREAT modification is the HEI ignition...easy to install and run, and you just disconnect the stock ignition system and put the distributor in the trunk in case the HEI poops the bed. It runs hotter and has way less issues. A new set of wires, plugs and you're ready to roll, and it also keeps the stock parts.

In saying this, I may have a spare ICM laying around (can not verify if it works, but all the ones I pulled I swapped out when troubleshooting and iirc they worked). If I do it's yours for the price of shipping, then you can try it out and dig into it. Shoot me a pic of your ICM wiring as I think there were 2 different connectors.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 03:22:42 PM »
I realize how wonderful the HEI is to most people (I did this in my SX/4).  But I want to keep the wagon as stock as possible.  I did the ECM Test on it until I gathered the parts to fix it the right way. I don't want to gut my ignition system as that is not my goal with this vehicle.  I have been very happy with the performance since re-connecting the computer, I would just like some opinions on a good replacement Duraspark module.  If there are no good replacement DS modules known on this earth, then I'll go Stealth HEI next in order to keep my distributor and still have the ECM in the loop.

There is a slight timing problem, but it seems to vary slightly based on the ignition module I install.  The old Wells unit pinged and the newer one doesn't.  It simply flakes out randomly.  I've checked for vacuum leaks everywhere.  All diaphragms hold vacuum.  All new hoses everywhere.  New carb gaskets, new intake/exhaust gaskets.  It idles perfectly at 600RPM in drive.  No stalls coming to a stop or turning hard.  It's not the fuel filters (new) and the tank sock is removed.  All fuel lines new.  Check valve in return line, 3-port filter, right side up.  Timing chain is new as well.  The distributor is an OEM unit I cleaned up.  It doesn't appear the springs were ever touched.  It moves freely and smoothly with no noticeable slop.  13* centrifugal advance slot is in use.  It seems to jive pretty well with the advance curve band in the '86 TSM.  I've also adjusted the vac advance with a gauge to best match the TSM vac advance curve.  I'm quite sure it's the newer module causing the missing.  I've driven it 100 miles now will the old Wells module re-installed and it hasn't acted up once.

I got my Motorcraft module in yesterday so I'll put that on and see what happens.  If I get pinging I'll back off the initial timing 2* and call it a day.  If this module is junk, too maybe I'll change my path and go with something aftermarket.  Maybe I'll try the NAPA Echlin module, but I would hope that an actual Ford branded part wouldn't be complete crap, even if made in China for Ford.

They can be melted out, with a heatgun or in the oven, but you take the risk of damaging other parts.

The original ignition system had problems from the get go, and newer manufactured parts are mostly rebranded Chinese junk. I bought a new starter solenoid and it caused so many issues I couldn't keep the car going. Pulled one from a junked Eagle and the car worked great.

Your problems could be a small vacuum leak causing timing problems, buggy ECM when it heats up, or a intermittent wire. If you're getting pinging when putting the pedal to the metal than your timing is off.

Now, on another note, a GREAT modification is the HEI ignition...easy to install and run, and you just disconnect the stock ignition system and put the distributor in the trunk in case the HEI poops the bed. It runs hotter and has way less issues. A new set of wires, plugs and you're ready to roll, and it also keeps the stock parts.

In saying this, I may have a spare ICM laying around (can not verify if it works, but all the ones I pulled I swapped out when troubleshooting and iirc they worked). If I do it's yours for the price of shipping, then you can try it out and dig into it. Shoot me a pic of your ICM wiring as I think there were 2 different connectors.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 04:46:05 PM »
Do the stealth swap. Use an OEM AMC box and melt the old stuff out and use the box as a heatsink for HEI module inside. It's been done.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 06:39:55 PM »
Do the stealth swap. Use an OEM AMC box and melt the old stuff out and use the box as a heatsink for HEI module inside. It's been done.

Yeah, it's on my list of summer projects to try.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 01:11:35 AM »
hi, going through a rebuild right now, as far as  ICMs, the Wells seems to be the best quality. Look for parts made in Mexico, rather than in China or other far east manufacturers. AFAIK, no more American made parts. Coils, again, look for Mexican made, supposed to be the same design as the old Illinois factory that closed and moved there. Stay away from all "brand" type coils, MSD, Accell, etc, unless you know the place of manufacture. The Napa "universal" coil, UC12, is still a good choice. Taylor coils are still made in US, but finding right resistance is tricky. Long story short, don't look for bargains, do your homework, and buy the best, (not necessarily the most expensive) parts you can. Do NOT get epoxy filled coils, the kind the offroad guys like. The oil in an oil filled coil is there for a reason. to cool it. Epoxy won't leak out, true, if turned upside down,but, it will overheat and break down, so, don't drive upside down! good luck y'all, gz

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 08:25:16 PM »
I bought a new one, made in USA, and it lasted 1 month. I took it off in my troubleshooting and the entire back side, the black, was like fresh black silicone smeared on the underside. It was ruined. So, I went on Rock Auto and bought two, one as a back up that I can use if it does that again. The newer, lastest one was made in China. So...there you have that!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2015, 11:34:19 PM »
hi. ok. so I have that! sorry!!! occasionally a Chinese made part is ok, great stuff. but more often than not, it's not. All I'm saying, is buyer beware, Ok.  are we good? if not, kma, gz

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 03:33:31 PM »
I'm still running the Motorcraft branded box from Ford.  No issues yet and we've had a pretty hot summer for PA.  Drove it 2000 miles round trip to FL and back with no hiccups.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2015, 10:42:14 PM »
Keep in mind that there is BIG business in selling fake "made in USA" parts. Ever since the end of WWII when the island of Usa, Japan was selling stuff.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk