News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 06, 2024, 12:04:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: choke fuse  (Read 8763 times)

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
choke fuse
« on: October 05, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »
having problems with my eagle not warming up in the mornings.  It takes 10 mins before it will idle down, so I turned the key forward and checked the wire going to the choke and I read no voltage.  Is there a choke fuse or fuseable link somewhere, or should I just run a new wire to the choke?

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
Re: choke fuse
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:25:25 AM »
There should be a choke fuse in the panel if wired properly.

If not, any 12V source that is hot in the RUN position (ONLY in the RUN position) will work perfect.  Don't use an ACC positioned source.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:59:12 AM »
It's weird but when I turned the forward and checked for voltage I had none, so I started it up and checked again and I had strong voltage.  It still took about 10 mins for it to kick down.  I was told the heat from the manifold is what makes the car idle back down once it gets hot enough.  I also noticed the voltage would drop to under 1 volt until I reved the motor then it jumped back up and then kind of bounce around.  Is the choke wire tied into the starter some how where it only gets voltage when the car is running?  Does this mean there is something wrong with my choke?

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 02:01:53 PM »
I don't believe there is a choke fuse, but there might be a fusible link. But, you should NOT have voltage going to the choke with the key on engine off. The oil pressure switch is what turns on the choke. Once the engine builds oil pressure, it completes the circuit turning on the choke, this is so the choke only turns on when the engine is running. The reason for this is because people would turn the key to on, engine off, leave it there, then in a few minutes the choke would be open, and the car would be harder to start. Plus it helps save the battery.

Try checking it again, see if you have 12 volts when the engine is running.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 02:34:41 PM »
I would guess either you have low oil pressure (I believe the choke triggers higher then the light) or a bad relay for the manifold heater. The relay is triggered by the choke feed.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 02:45:42 PM »
I have 12volts while it's running and I have no idea if my oil pressure is low.  I will look for the sensor and see if it can be cleaned?

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 11:29:22 PM »
Add a ground to your choke retainer.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 01:05:50 AM »
If you have 12 volts while running, and your oil pressure switch is good, then you should have enough oil pressure.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 09:06:39 AM »
the choke retainer?  where is that, one of those 3 screws that hold the choke together?

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 01:38:57 PM »
I unplugged the choke and ran a wire straight from the battery to the choke to see what would happen.  After a min. or so the choke plate starts to open up, so to me the choke works, but why won't it idle down when it's cold?  why does it take about 10 mins if everything is working right?

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 01:43:06 PM »
In the past I have run a wire from the little post on the solenoid nearest the firewall. If key is on its powered.

Manitowoc WI

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 02:51:52 PM »
I unplugged the choke and ran a wire straight from the battery to the choke to see what would happen.  After a min. or so the choke plate starts to open up, so to me the choke works, but why won't it idle down when it's cold?  why does it take about 10 mins if everything is working right?

Because you probably need a better + or a better - connection to the choke.

Run a nice short ground tot he choke retainer if you have a single pole choke (+) if you have a dual pole choke (+ and -) then you MUST run a + and a - anyway.  I also suggest checking and replaing the + lead to the choke.  12V doesn't meen it is flowing the amperage needed for the choke.  Could simply be bad wiring on the + side or not a true ground on the - side.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 11:02:16 PM »
back in the day I always replaced them with a good old fashioned manual choke

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 11:21:19 AM »
The power doesn't get to the choke unless the motor is running (it goes through the oil switch). Sounds like the choke needs to be adjusted open slightly. I'd also lube the linkage and make sure the vacuum break is working.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 11:29:08 AM »
NEVER lube choke parts.  They will collect dust/gunk and the choke will not operate properly.  No lithium grease, no WD, no mouse milk, nothing.  The choke needs to operate as dry and clean as possible.

If the choke worked w/ direct voltage, I think the answer is very clear.  The + and - need to be addressed.  There are many ways to have a proper working choke and eliminate the oil prssure switch.  See above reply.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk