News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:09:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front lower ball joints  (Read 9232 times)

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
Front lower ball joints
« on: December 02, 2018, 07:33:08 PM »
So it seems the front lower ball joint is discontinued for Eagles (mine is a 82 SX4). I've search this site and did not find a solution. If there is a solution please direct me to it. Else, can an upper ball joint be used in stead? If so, is there any mods that have to occur to implement?
Thanks

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Front lower ball joints
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 07:44:01 PM »
Oh my, this sucks. I of course hope there is an answer.

Manitowoc WI

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 08:30:11 PM »
Autozone advertises the correct one but when I place the order, they dont have them. I'll call them but it seems strange that no one seems to have them.

It just a plate extension...

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
RockAuto lists "DANA DS706116 Contains 1 Upper Ball Joint and 1 Lower Ball Joint".  You may also want to check with some of the AMC specialty vendors like Kennedy American.  Good luck and let us know what you find.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 09:32:57 AM »
I just checked the Kennedy American website. They have upper and lower ball joints listed. As well as control arms and sever other items I figured I wouldn’t ever find.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 01:41:31 PM »
The images for DANA DS706116 does not appear to be the same as OEM.  Anyone buy the upper lower kit from Rock Auto?  I have new uppers but the kit is cheaper than just the lower at Kennedy American.  I will call Kennedy American and see what they have.  Thanks for the leads.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 04:47:27 PM »
That Dana number does not fit our Eagles.   Some bean counter somewhere thought that since that number fits some Jeep models, it'll fit the Eagle too!!   After all, an AMC is an AMC; right!!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 12:06:57 AM »
I tried buying some from Rockauto, but the order was cancelled after a few days when they couldn't find it on the shelf.

I ended up getting some from Autozone, and they were made by RareParts.  A little pricey (compared to RockAuto) but they worked well and have held up so far.  Everything fit like it should. I've done about 4000 miles with them, and 2500 of that was on dirt.

Looks like they are available direct from rareparts.com for $56 each.  Part number MVMK3153.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 03:52:38 PM »
Thanks.  I contacted them and ordered 2.  $55.51 each +s&h

I just received the Rockauto upper and lower kit ones.  Completely wrong and I am sending them back.  This is crazy.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 04:01:22 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
Well, rareparts cancelled my order. Said they have been on back order for over a year.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 09:42:37 PM »
Try going direct to Autozone.com, that worked for me last year.  Checking their site now, they show a Duralast which I doubt exists - it wasn't really available when I bought.  The site also shows the rareparts version for $78.99 each.  I think that was about what I paid, maybe they have a couple more left gathering dust.

EDIT:  I read again and see that you tried to order from Autozone already.  Hopefully you were trying to get the Duralast version.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:44:31 PM by amarshall »
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 10:27:57 PM »
AutoZone is out of stock and cannot be ordered according to counter person.  Guess $240 has to spent to Kennedy American for theirs. Ugh.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »
So it seems almost everyone is out of these.  Some of the suppliers are asking their manufacturers to start making them again.  So it is wait and see AND do not throw away your old lower ball joints!  I got mine back from the scrap pile so I can at least put the front end back together.  This really bites.  Who know the Achilles heal of an Eagle is a ball joint!

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2020, 12:14:03 PM »
To bump a two year old thread....

Since the last post, has there been any improvement in the availability of lowers? As others have noted the uppers are cheap and still readily available but NOBODY seems to be manufacturing the lowers. Even Dorman doesn't have anything and my local parts shop has been waiting over a year for anything equivalent. I'm still waiting on the backorder for something OTHER than RareParts.  :(

That being said, the RareParts replacement is now $170CAD after taxes and shipping for one, and I need two of them. Separating the bracket off a failed lower and trying to bolt in a brand new upper in its place (the bolt holes DO line up but you have to saw the bottom indent off the bracket) has likewise found the upper has a narrower taper and a longer thread, so that isn't useable in case people were curious.

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 06:01:00 PM »
You wouldn’t happen to have found a part number with those?
Also, I believe espo springs n things can get upper and lower ball joints.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:36:45 PM by Taylor »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk