News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:10:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Random Intermittent Death  (Read 21084 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Random Intermittent Death
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 09:40:37 AM »
I've been having the same issue with my 87, Ella. I was on the freeway the other day and it quit. Like the key turning off. I'm going to be replacing the ECM unit. I have a NEW coil, 8mm wires, and the list goes on. I upgraded the distrib. cap last year with the Ford version. It is just like turning the key off. I had this happen 3 times now. It starts up again, but acts like it won't  start. Embarrasing when it happens.

Mine was doing the same exact thing. Previuosly, I had replaced the factory AMC ICM with a new parts store ICM  thinking it was causing a stalling issue
but it turned out my 6 month old  Petronix coil went bad. Fast forward 6 months and I was having serious stalling issues like you described. I would be driving and it was like I turned the key off. Sometimes it would start right up but other times I would have to wait several minutes before it would restart. One time I was taking a coworker to work and he had to help me push it through a busy intersection. Talk about embarrassing. I teplaced the ICM with a MSD box and I'm quite satisfied.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 12:25:12 PM »
Very interesting about the Petronix coil. That's what I put in. I wonder if the coil is getting hot and  or failing. I'll have to start with that. I didn't have the problem before I put the Petronix coil in it.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 06:47:09 AM »
Something worth thinking about: This random dying happened to me three times recently. Yesterday as I was going uphill to a stop at the freeway exit and twice a few hours ago as the needle on my fuel gauge met the halfway mark. I know there's no dirt in my tank but is it possible that something is clogging the pickup tube when I have half a tank left? I have a malfunctioning sending unit that makes the gauge go erratic every time the center of gravity shifts a little bit.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 06:52:28 AM »
It should have a pickup sock on it, so no.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 08:49:36 AM »
Something worth thinking about: This random dying happened to me three times recently. Yesterday as I was going uphill to a stop at the freeway exit and twice a few hours ago as the needle on my fuel gauge met the halfway mark. I know there's no dirt in my tank but is it possible that something is clogging the pickup tube when I have half a tank left? I have a malfunctioning sending unit that makes the gauge go erratic every time the center of gravity shifts a little bit.
I thought it may be fuel tank related when mine was doing the same thing. I was considering dropping the tank to see if there was a hole in the pick up tube. However it did it on a full tank and that confirmed that wasn't the case. If you think that is your problem, get an inline fuel pressure gauge. When it stalls, pop the hood and check the fuel pressure gauge.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:01:20 AM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 01:41:43 AM »
Went out tonight and noticed a trend that has happened across the past month. My Eagle always goes through a very hard stall a few minutes after refueling. I can expect it to happen within 5 minutes of refueling. Does anyone else experience this?
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 02:46:18 PM »
Sounds like the charcoal cannister has a crack in it, allowing raw fuel to dump in and flood the carb.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »
Sounds like the charcoal cannister has a crack in it, allowing raw fuel to dump in and flood the carb.
If it's dumping fuel into the carb, why do I have to stomp the gas pedal several times just to get the engine to come back to life? It's like I have a lack of fuel pressure going to the carb. I'll look for an inline pressure meter. Car stalled out on a snow bank earlier today but it was an easy restart. I'm still on the fence about the ICM but I have a few extras to test that. I just need to locate the ECM at this point.
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »
You have to stomp the pedal to allow enough air into the engine to mix with the fuel properly.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 09:24:51 PM »
How fast do you all need Motorcraft conversions? ;D
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 11:09:30 PM »
Wait, my pedal is operating the AIR mixture? That's the most inefficient garbage ever. Screw the Weber, I'm going to a straight Carter carb. Also, it seems I have more parts to grab at Pick-n-pull. I changed my ignition module and the car hasn't died since then so I'm hoping for the best.
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline marty

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 06:09:10 PM »
I have had a version of this w my 86 Eagle, but it only occurs when the temp is below freezing.  I have done the ECM Test bypass but all else is stock.  My stalling is intermittent and will usually only occur after the first start of the day.  I drive about 12 mi on freeway (get on about a mi from home) and it will usually occur after the first few miles on the road and while cruising at 6o mph (has occured as far as 10 mi down the road).  Suddenly the engine is just dead...shift into N, will restart while coasting (almost always on the first try) and be just fine the rest of the day.  A little unnerving not knowing when, or if, it may cut out although I can deal with it fairly well now.  Any thoughts.   

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »
I have had a version of this w my 86 Eagle, but it only occurs when the temp is below freezing.  I have done the ECM Test bypass but all else is stock.  My stalling is intermittent and will usually only occur after the first start of the day.  I drive about 12 mi on freeway (get on about a mi from home) and it will usually occur after the first few miles on the road and while cruising at 6o mph (has occured as far as 10 mi down the road).  Suddenly the engine is just dead...shift into N, will restart while coasting (almost always on the first try) and be just fine the rest of the day.  A little unnerving not knowing when, or if, it may cut out although I can deal with it fairly well now.  Any thoughts.   
When both of mine did that replacing the ignition module fixed it.  Looks like it may have worked for DaemonForce, as well.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 06:11:08 PM »
I did GRONK's MC2100 conversion on an Eagle that I bought a while back just to do a quick mechanical resto and sell. In fact, that Eagle was once owned by Marty. I really liked the night and day change in performance by doing this one simple conversion. That car has moved on to another happy owner. Anyone with stalling issues with a stock carter carb, if you don't have to worry about passing a smog sniffer inspection, do the conversion instead of rebuilding the carter.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 11:10:45 PM »
When both of mine did that replacing the ignition module fixed it.  Looks like it may have worked for DaemonForce, as well.
Don't forget the pickup inside the distributor.... :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk