News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:01:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carb rebuild success (with videos)  (Read 8922 times)

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
Re: Where to find a good carb rebuild kit?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 10:19:41 PM »
Working on putting it back together. I got the float level set, but when the baffle is put in, the float tab hits it and the float cannot drop all the way to the bottom. It will go up as far as it should, but not down. Is this supposed to happen? I wasn't sure. I bent the tap, so that the baffle doesn't interfere, and now the float can rest on the bottom of the bowl. Is this right?

Here's the tab.

And here's how it's bent to allow the float to be able to travel from the base to the set height. That right? Or should the float not be able to drop to the bottom?
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »
Dropping to the bottom when empty is fine. I hold the bent spring over the float pin (and make sure the ball bearing in the accel pump isn't loose) and turn the carb upside down to check the float level.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 01:16:01 PM »
Thanks Carnuck. I figured it should go all the way to the bottom when empty, but I've never done a carb rebuild before and wanted to make sure. Really don't wanna have to tear it apart after getting all back together. And that sounds like a good way to check the float level.
Dan

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 07:46:07 PM »
Got it all back together, and back on the car on Friday. Got it all tuned yesterday and today, and its running great again. Just filled up my gas tank so I can track the mpg, hopefully it goes up a bit. I think it will because before the rebuild, the gaskets on the carb always looked a bit wet with gas, now they're sealed up good.

So thanks to everyone for all the tips and all the information. Eggs to everyone.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:37:01 PM by ammachine390 »
Dan

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
Carb rebuild success (with video)
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »
Figured I'd put up a video of the car starting with the carb rebuilt.

Cold start (even though the ambient air temp was around 90 degrees):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeUU_45f2YY

Hot start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF03LVx0kEM

Idles pretty good. Starts up quick. And that's with all the original emission stuff still attached and functioning. Just shows ya that a BBD can start and idle good.
Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk