News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 01, 2024, 04:17:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brake issues you may not have considered  (Read 5997 times)

Offline j2sax

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Brake issues you may not have considered
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »
Due to the age of our cars, there are a lot of issues that you might not have considered that could be affecting your braking performance.  I pasted this from a response I gave on another forum wher guys were going back and forth with a lot of good info on brakes and conversions.  This is a just a little info, but it might help you if you have problems with braking consistency, excessive wear or poor performance. 

If you are experiencing a lot of fade, but your friction components are new you might also consider:
> REPLACE YOUR HOSES (especially if you still have the 20-40 yr old OE hoses on)!  Many times the hoses "bulge" and dissipate the effect of the line pressure which makes brake work.  The issue gets worse as the fluid heats up.  You don't have to get braided steel (although it might shock you the difference it makes!) but a set of good quality hoses really helps.  Also, as the hoses deteriorate, the rubber contaminates the fluid pathways and causes premature failures, so get those out of there and NEVER allow your calipers to hang by the hose  Fab a hook and hang it on something as that weight will cause a weakening of the hose and breaks a lot of contaminants loose inside.

> Change ALL your brake fluid with quality stuff.  Due to the hydroscopic nature of brake fluid (draws moisture into itself) you should change it every couple of years, whether the vehicle is driven much or not.  As the H2O contamination in the fluid increases, the boiling point decreases (it's easier to boil) and it can causes poorer stopping performance as it heats up.  As you can imagine, your brake system will last years longer without water in the system to rust/gunk things up! 

> Modern brake materials are AMAZING and spending extra for performance stuff if you do a lot towing will really help.  EBC stuff is incredible, though it may be more pricy than it's worth if you're just driving around... but for towing... mmmhmm!

> If you are having problems with your front brakes glazing you likely have weak /misadjusted rear brakes.  Your front brakes are being asked to do more than their share of stopping, which is already most of it.  Once you have things done right out back, make sure to use your parking brake often.  Also, every once in a while get a little speed going backwards and hit the brakes hard.  That will keep your rear shoes adjusted tighter.

> We recently resurrected a great old tool for bench bleeding a Master Cyl (MC).  It's super cheap (like $10) and will save a lot of effort.  IT's the 10-5000MCB; a giant syringe that will keep you from accidentally cutting the rear MC seal from pushing the plunger in too far and it literrally will completely bleed one out in two pumps.  Will last for many years Check it out at:
Flyer:  http://www.cardone.com/English/Club/Service_Plus/10908BBF%20bench%20bleeder%20flyer.pdf 

At the bottom of the ad you can watch a video of how it works as opposed to pushing the pushrod in 30 times!  No, I don't sell these direct or make commissions off of them, but most Auto parts stores should be able to get them.  Also good for Hydraulic Clutches. 

Hope this helps! 

Have a great week,

Jesse

Offline neweagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: Brake issues you may not have considered
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 07:11:33 PM »
I have had great success with silicon brake fluid. I own an old Mopar and replaced the dot fluid with silicon fluid. I have never had a single issue with the brakes on that old car. Even after years I still have a firm pedal. Silicon brake fluid does not absorb moisture and has a higher boiling point than standard brake fluid. Has anyone ever tried this?

Offline j2sax

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 03:48:27 AM »
Yes, that is true... seemingly expensive, but when you consider how much our cars just sit, it is worth it in the long run.   JUst do not use Silicon fluid in a more modern car that has ABS... not compatible. 

Jesse

benamcfan

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »
I agree with everything that j2sax said about the brake system. I have a gm background in brakes, and wish to add two things. Del co makes a great [ fully ] synthetic brake lube that resist,s brake down above 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, and can be used on rubber brake parts.I found a full listing for ac deco Duran stop brakes, and brake parts. The web site is .com. I checked applications for a 1983 eagle, and came up with a full listing of part#,s. I have used doorstop brakes and hardware for years and swear by it.

Benamcfan.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk