News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Repro parts, need stock parts for reproduction, or ideas?  (Read 5272 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Repro parts, need stock parts for reproduction, or ideas?
« on: April 10, 2015, 09:46:40 AM »
I know we have some incredible talent floating around here, and I was wondering if it would be too far out to start a thread to assist those who make reproduction parts but need good condition originals to make molds from, or have access to CNC mills, etc, that would be willing to build replacement parts.

I see a lot of posts regarding bumper caps, speaker grills, cosmetic things like that. If anyone is looking for particular good condition parts to make reproduction parts from let us know here, I'm willing to ship out pieces that I have to get the ball rolling.

Maybe a format of what you're looking for to reproduce, or the equipment you have on hand and the costs, etc.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
Re: Repro parts, need stock parts for reproduction, or ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 09:28:25 PM »
The thing I need the most is a Kammback rear bumper endcap to mold from. Both of my Kammbacks were missing them. Thankfully one of those did have a complete bumper filler piece. Its very fragile and I treat it like a magical glass slipper straight from a fairy tale. For my own Kammback I modified station wagon endcaps and it worked okay, except that it also required swapping the rear flares and moving the trim holes.

I am an Electrical Engineer and specifically I used to be a CNC machine repair technician. One of my customers specializes in injection molding of rubber around metal reinforcements and fasteners. I showed him an original endcap and he offered to teach me the best way to make an exact reproduction. The cost is pretty high for an exact reproduction so I'm also making an economy version that is identical externally but different and cheaper behind the scenes.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 10:07:12 PM »
I'll take two when you make them!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline dleberfinger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 10:53:14 PM »
I'm looking for a set of louvers to take a look at and make measurements from. If anyone is near Altoona, PA, I'd be willing to drive to your or meet you somewhere. Probably would only need 10-15 minutes of your time to get everything I need.

Feel free to just email me at [email protected].

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk