News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 07:21:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: General Car Confusion  (Read 39664 times)

pLaYtHiNg

Re: General Car Confusion
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
I had a list of a bunch of things I needed for the F150, they didn't have a single part.
but they did have an aluminum valve cover for the 258

Wait, What?!?!  LOL  I would have expected to find the Ford truck parts easier than an Aluminum Valve cover for the 258.  Great find, score it!!

Offline Eagle Kammback

• Kenosha Cadillac
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 32
    • Car Crazy Central profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2009, 03:34:48 PM »
So would I, But youve got to remember, the 258 was used in Jeeps too (on Jeep sites, they probably say the 258 Was used in AMCs too)
They didn't even have a dash pad for my truck (they did last time I was there, they never have anything when I have the money)
MMN2 Burnett
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon Project
1979 AMX that will probably never run
1993 Jeep Cherokee (Rest in peace)

pLaYtHiNg

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2009, 04:04:30 PM »
Dude, even JEEPS are hard for me to find!!  LOL  (Trust me, I've perused looking for the elusive valve cover).  Hehe   ;)

Offline Eagle Kammback

• Kenosha Cadillac
  • Thumbs Up 32
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2009, 05:31:47 PM »
Well, he said 81 and up, did they change it for the later years
MMN2 Burnett

Offline Eagle Kammback

• Kenosha Cadillac
  • Thumbs Up 32
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2009, 09:01:18 AM »
Well, either way, it should work for me. 1983
until I get a 4.0 HO Head
MMN2 Burnett

Offline Eagle Kammback

• Kenosha Cadillac
  • Thumbs Up 32
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2009, 01:38:13 PM »
PArts Stores will hire anybody
I went in there to get transmission fluid the other day for some ATF3 for a Fury that was in the shop

I ask the guy.....there is no ATF 3 back there. Is the ATF 4 the suitable sub.....he says let me check....what type of car......transmission.....I say 727.TorqueFlight....he says .....auto or manual.......its sad really.....
MMN2 Burnett

Offline Island Mike

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2009, 02:26:18 PM »
Speaking of parts stores, there's an Auto Barn less than a mile from my house.  One night when my wife was driving our newly acquired Isuzu Trooper, she called me to say there was a ticking noise in the engine that would come and go, and she was on her way home.  I figured I'd run out to get a filter and some oil and do a change when she got back.

It was 8 PM and the store closes at 9.  When I got there, I was the only one in the store other than the cashier and the guy at the counter.  I went back to where the filters were, but I couldn't find a book to look up the filter, so I went to the counter.  The guy back there was not a kid on a summer job by any means, he was maybe in his mid-50's.

Anyway, I asked him to look up a filter for the Trooper.  He asked me year, model, and asked me if I had the 3.1 or 3.2L engine.  I was pretty sure it was the 3.2, so I said that.  He wrote down the part number for me.  I asked him if he could check to see if the 3.1 used the same filter, just to be sure.  He said, "No."

Let me say that again:  I asked if he could look up the other engine and he said no.

I thought he was kidding at first, but after standing there a couple of seconds I said "What?"

He said, "You're supposed to know what kind of engine you have before you come up here."

Now I'll admit I don't know the first thing about cars, but I do know a heck of a lot about customer service and common decency.  I said to the man, "What's wrong-- you too :censored: busy?"   He didn't answer. 

I tossed the piece of paper back up there on the counter, strongly suggested to him that he should try a certain physical act on himself that is generally regarded as impossible, and walked out.   I haven't been back there since.

(Sorry if I'm coming off here as a hothead or something, as I'm usually a pretty patient person, but this guy ticked me off.)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2009, 02:53:22 PM »
I agree, just poor customer service
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Eagle Kammback

• Kenosha Cadillac
  • Thumbs Up 32
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2009, 03:29:03 PM »
well, there IS an advance near me thta is awesome
one of the guys there is a big Jeep guy, and has a bunch of AMC Engine parts
I went in there to get the rear main seal for the 83, and after I said AMC Eagle, he was sitting there next to the guy at the register (I was the only guy in there then) and he said to the guy at the register "Thats the kind of car you need in Massachusetts" and we talked about AMCs and Jeeps for about 20 minutes.
He said he had a Jeep with the 258, and he wanted an excuse to put a V8 in her (AMC V8 too, 360) so he drained the oil completely, and she still ran for 2 weeks, with zero oil. (WHy do people do that, I would sell the motor before I do that)
MMN2 Burnett

Offline Eagle Kammback

• Kenosha Cadillac
  • Thumbs Up 32
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2009, 03:10:17 PM »
Talking to the guy yesterday who thinks he knows stuff about cars, he's convinced that ford made a car called the CHeetah that had a V12, that the Tuarus was supposed to have a V12 in 2002, and that there were 1500 or so Vettes made a couple years ago with V12s
MMN2 Burnett

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2009, 06:03:10 PM »
Wow where does he get his info from? ::)
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Old Daily driver now has a new transmission and will become a daily driver again once I start on my eagle.

1986 Chevy 1 Ton non-dually regular cab-I miss that old truck :(.

1985 AMC Eagle Wagon- My new daily driver that has started an AMC obsession

" It's an AMC thing... normal people wouldn't understand"

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2009, 08:38:20 PM »
LOL :rotfl:  ya sounds like he does. A Taurus with a V12 HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ::pause:: would be kind of interesting though. And I don't think Any Vettes came with V12s or did some I'm not too good on vettes even though I am also a die hard GM guy.
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Old Daily driver now has a new transmission and will become a daily driver again once I start on my eagle.

Offline abqcarl (RIP)

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 58
  • Meet My Mechanic!
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2009, 06:43:20 PM »
No there have never been any factory 12 cylinder 'Vettes. There was a tuner in the 90's who made a few V-12 'Vettes called SnakeSkinner because that's what it took to get a C5 to beat a Viper. They were loosely based on the small block Chevy design. They were ungodly expensive to buy, and they broke even more frquently than a regular Corvette did, which is a scary thought....

CaptCarl
1986 Eagle wagon (Erma)
1997 F250 4X4     (Burly Girl)
1994 Kawi Ninja     (Zipp
1957 DeSoto Firesweep Wagon (Virgil E.)
2005 New Beetle Conv. Turbo/5-speed (Bugs)
1990 Tioga Arrow Class C motorhome
1950 Spartan Royal Mansion 33'

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2009, 09:49:05 PM »
Hmmm learn something new everyday. Although I would like to see one of those SnakeSkinners up close.

Offline Eagle Kammback

• Kenosha Cadillac
  • Thumbs Up 32
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2009, 08:20:31 PM »
he got the info on the V12 Taurus and "Ford Cheetah" from a guy at the Ford dealership he says, I think the guy givinghim that info is just messing around, because he is so gullible
MMN2 Burnett

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk