News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:40:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Intermittent lack of fuel flow?  (Read 10110 times)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Re: Intermittent lack of fuel flow?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 01:11:35 PM »
Next time it dies, pull the air-horn off of the carb and see of there is actually fuel in the bowl.  You may have a sticking float/inlet valve.  You may also have a pickup tube that is bent in the tank and during acceleration/on hills, the fuel level drops below the tube and it starts to cut out.  This happens with my SX/4 when the fuel level gets too low and I start up a long hill.  Suppose you could also run a new piece of line to a portable gas can and see if it still does it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:16:04 PM by macdude443 »
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 12:05:42 AM »
An LPOS (little piece of you know what) can bobble between the filter and needle/seat and do that or if the fuel lines on the OEM 3 line filter are mixed up.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 06:18:02 PM »
I took off the two hard lanes that are between the pump and the carb and blew them out. They seemed to be free of any crud. After that I went for a test drive and it died on me, but this time the clear fuel filter was empty. After trying to restart it a couple times, I looked at the filter again, and it was still empty, but fuel started to slowly pour into it from the inlet hose. Perhaps there is something in the main fuel tubing that is clogging it occasionally?

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 01:59:24 PM »
I was having a problem where the rubber fuel hose after the filter was crumbling and little pieces of rubber where getting stuck in the inlet to the carb.  If you've replace that hose then it shouldn't be a problem.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline 2xEaglewagons

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 12:01:37 AM »
Hello
I know this is an old thread but i couldnt help but reply.
I searched forever for this same problem.
New fuel lines,new fuels pumps,new modules ect.
Finally threw the sock/filter in tank in the garbage.
The sock filter can look clean but it is not.
It can also collapse,plugging intake/pickup tube.
Car went up hills like a bullet!
Its good to check the sending units solid tubes for cracks.
Install the clear filter before pump,,they dont always look full.
I also keep my tank half or full all the time for steep hills.
Good luck!
Randy H.
Mission B.C.Can.

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 10:28:24 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I suspected a small hole in my fuel line that I was finally able to verify by using a piece of thick wall clear tubing between the pump and the steel line. With the engine running I was able to see bubbles of various lengths as the fuel was sucked into the pump .. the more demand on the engine the longer the bubble. I replaced the entire fuel line and that solved the problem. Hopes this procedure may help someone in the future...

Later, Iron Horse :o
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:33:25 AM by IRON HORSE »

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 02:47:03 AM »
Im pretty sure my issue is with the pickup tube in the tank. I ended up replacing the main fuel tubing from the tank to the pump to no avail. If I keep the tank on the less empty side, I don't seem to run into any issues. I suspect that I have a hole in the pickup or something similar.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk