News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 02:20:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smogging/Registering Out-of-State Eagle in California  (Read 6410 times)

Offline TahoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Smogging/Registering Out-of-State Eagle in California
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:02:14 PM »
Hi All,

Over the summer I purchased an 85 Eagle wagon in Lake Tahoe, where I have lived the past two years. It was purchased new in Nevada and has been registered there its whole life. Recently, however, work has seen me relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area, and I'm going to have to find myself up against California's infamous smogging/DMV process. I haven't had any work done to the car emissions-wise since I've purchased it, though I do plan on having at least a basic tune-up done on it before I spend the money to get it tested. Are there any other California Eagle owners out there with any advice on a non-California Eagle passing a California emissions test?

If it does fail hopelessly, California also offers a "Historical Vehicle" plate as an option, which my Eagle would be eligible for and make it smog exempt, but the law stipulates that its intended for vehicles to be used in parades, car shows, auto club events, etc., and my Eagle is basically a daily driver. Anyone have any potential know-how as to how strictly that's enforced? I know this is a kind of California specific post but any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
Re: Smogging/Registering Out-of-State Eagle in California
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »
California has the treadmill test for most vehicles.  1980 Eagles (as with any other full time 4X4) only need the 2 speed test with the sniffer.   If your car was not able to shift out of 4 wheel drive (hint, hint), then they would only be able to do the less stringent 2 speed test.  However, all of the emissions equipment must be intact and working good regardless of which test is done.  I would advise to pay for a pre-test, so it would not get the "gross polluter" status if it fails.  I would check and/or replace all of the hoses in the vapor recovery system (charcoal canister), and put on a new gas cap as well.  If these hoses are original, they probably need replacing anyway being 25 years old.   
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:25:22 PM »
You will probably need the feedback system functioning correctly, so if the computer has been bypassed, you may have to undo that.  Also, you probably need your pulse air and definitely need the catalytic converter. Do you know if your car still has all that?
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:31:30 PM »
California has the treadmill test for most vehicles.  1980 Eagles (as with any other full time 4X4) only need the 2 speed test with the sniffer.   If your car was not able to shift out of 4 wheel drive (hint, hint), then they would only be able to do the less stringent 2 speed test.  However, all of the emissions equipment must be intact and working good regardless of which test is done.  I would advise to pay for a pre-test, so it would not get the "gross polluter" status if it fails.  I would check and/or replace all of the hoses in the vapor recovery system (charcoal canister), and put on a new gas cap as well.  If these hoses are original, they probably need replacing anyway being 25 years old.  
They don't test these cars on the 4x4 dyno? Interesting... We test these only on the 4x4, even if it's select drive.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 10:53:21 PM »
California has the treadmill test for most vehicles.  1980 Eagles (as with any other full time 4X4) only need the 2 speed test with the sniffer.   If your car was not able to shift out of 4 wheel drive (hint, hint), then they would only be able to do the less stringent 2 speed test.  However, all of the emissions equipment must be intact and working good regardless of which test is done.  I would advise to pay for a pre-test, so it would not get the "gross polluter" status if it fails.  I would check and/or replace all of the hoses in the vapor recovery system (charcoal canister), and put on a new gas cap as well.  If these hoses are original, they probably need replacing anyway being 25 years old.  
They don't test these cars on the 4x4 dyno? Interesting... We test these only on the 4x4, even if it's select drive.
I am not aware of any equipment here in CA that will work with a full time 4X4.  The drive wheels are placed on the rollers, and the others on the floor.   I had my '85 sport wagon tested before I sold it, and the guy did the 2 speed test and did not use the rollers.  He asked me if it was full time 4X4, and I said no (the front shaft was not hooked up).  He asked the question again in a different way (winking his eye), and said he would not be able to do the treadmill test.  It passed with the 2 speed test.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:11:33 AM »
Its all about the tester. Ask around, theres always someone who knows someone who is willing to bend the rules a bit. Im not saying break the law but like Rollguy said some people are willing to help ya out a little. They dropped smog testing in the county that I live about 6 years ago. Before they did though, I had an 82 coupe with custom exhaust that would not pass no matter what I did to it. I asked around and I found a guy..who, for 50 dollars used his own 2002 volvo AWD for the actual smog test. My Eagle passed with flying colors  ;) Not the most kosher thing to do....but hey whats a guy supposed to do? I didnt have the thousands It would have taken to rework the entire exhaust and motor. I guess what gets me...for example..I had a 1984 buick that burned like 4 quarts of oil a week...It smoked like a chimny, but it passed emissions with no problem..go figure.

Good luck
shane
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 02:54:32 AM »
Its all about the tester. Ask around, theres always someone who knows someone who is willing to bend the rules a bit. Im not saying break the law but like Rollguy said some people are willing to help ya out a little. They dropped smog testing in the county that I live about 6 years ago. Before they did though, I had an 82 coupe with custom exhaust that would not pass no matter what I did to it. I asked around and I found a guy..who, for 50 dollars used his own 2002 volvo AWD for the actual smog test. My Eagle passed with flying colors  ;) Not the most kosher thing to do....but hey whats a guy supposed to do? I didnt have the thousands It would have taken to rework the entire exhaust and motor. I guess what gets me...for example..I had a 1984 buick that burned like 4 quarts of oil a week...It smoked like a chimny, but it passed emissions with no problem..go figure.

Good luck
shane
lol, definitely can't do that here..... They've been cracking down on that kinda thing. There is an emissions station in AZ that had to fire nearly all of its employees a while back for taking extra cash to pass peoples' cars. We're not even allowed to take any form of any kind of a tip because on camera it looks like a bribe, no matter what.

We have awd dynos here, with adjustable wheelbases from 95-125", anything longer or shorter than that with awd or 4wd with auto buttons gets idle tested..

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 10:31:39 AM »
In reality, your car MAY pass CA emissions with no problem.  The key is to make sure all of the equipment is there and working properly.  Also, your County may have less stringent rules to begin with.  It may not be a big deal at all.   We all wish you good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

Offline TahoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 10:59:33 PM »
Update on the smogging status:
I did some searching around on yelp for smog centers in San Mateo county (my county), and came found one for $35 + the $8.95 certification fee that seemed to get very positive reviews. There's no set fee for smogging in CA, and there is LOTS of gouging that goes on. The only prep work I did to my Eagle prior were buy a new gas cap, change the oil/filters, and pouring a bottle of some "guaranteed to pass" (that was literally the name of the product) fuel additive into the tank. After talking to a few local mechanics, the consensus was that the best course of action was to just get the test done instead of paying for any other inspection or repairs beforehand, so I'd at least know exactly what was wrong, and also that as long as I've made no major engine/exhaust/emissions systems, there shouldn't be any major problems. Once at the test center, I had to pay an additional $15 because of the vehicle's age, and ANOTHER $15 on top of that because of the rarity of the vehicle and because he had to "look up the requirements in the system" (see what I mean about the gouging?). Somehow though, it passed the emissions portion of the test no problem, and only needed a new $5 vacuum hose that he installed for me to pass the fuel evap. test. The gas cap test was no issue since it was new. The guy also never ran it on the rollers for whatever reason during the emissions portion and just revved it in neutral. All told it took about an hour and cost $90 for the test plus the certificate fee plus those various "add-on fees." Still, can now be safely and legitimately registered in California!

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 02:17:46 AM »
Update on the smogging status:
I did some searching around on yelp for smog centers in San Mateo county (my county), and came found one for $35 + the $8.95 certification fee that seemed to get very positive reviews. There's no set fee for smogging in CA, and there is LOTS of gouging that goes on. The only prep work I did to my Eagle prior were buy a new gas cap, change the oil/filters, and pouring a bottle of some "guaranteed to pass" (that was literally the name of the product) fuel additive into the tank. After talking to a few local mechanics, the consensus was that the best course of action was to just get the test done instead of paying for any other inspection or repairs beforehand, so I'd at least know exactly what was wrong, and also that as long as I've made no major engine/exhaust/emissions systems, there shouldn't be any major problems. Once at the test center, I had to pay an additional $15 because of the vehicle's age, and ANOTHER $15 on top of that because of the rarity of the vehicle and because he had to "look up the requirements in the system" (see what I mean about the gouging?). Somehow though, it passed the emissions portion of the test no problem, and only needed a new $5 vacuum hose that he installed for me to pass the fuel evap. test. The gas cap test was no issue since it was new. The guy also never ran it on the rollers for whatever reason during the emissions portion and just revved it in neutral. All told it took about an hour and cost $90 for the test plus the certificate fee plus those various "add-on fees." Still, can now be safely and legitimately registered in California!
I've been told by californians moving to this state that their fees were high... that sucks :( 25 dollars for 1982 and newer, 15 for 1981 and older here, flat rate no ifs, ands or buts. We also drive every vehicle 82 and newer that is under 8500 gvw, >95"  <125" wb awd or otherwise.

I'm very glad you passed your test, that's awesome:) The only other Eagle I've seen here in Greeley keeps failing the sniffer :(

What's your 'sona?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk