News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 09:28:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PCV blowby question  (Read 29808 times)

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Re: PCV blowby question
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 04:17:18 PM »
I'm with txjeeptx.

I added a PCV valve to my flathead's draft tube(cut off tube and inserted a rubber grommet).

I find that a "refreshing" idea! Certainly worth testing it.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 04:43:45 PM »
AMC put a different vacuum advance on the Eagles sold in high altitude areas. I don't know how it was different though. Maybe you can get one of those?

Offline amkfken

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 07:47:34 PM »
Update:
Spent $50 for the "new" PCV valve (only available on the famous auction site), problem solved, NO more oil in the air cleaner assembly or dripping out all over the floor or driveway when parked.

All emissions control crap removed, even the computer is on my workbench, everything disconnected, even the wires removed! There is no vent for fresh air to the valve cover (plugged)

Gas mileage now up to 25+ mpg, no leaks anywhere. Just turned 102k miles on the SX/4

Living in God's country where emissions are only found on livestock and my dog (and me)!!!
There are three kinds of men;
1.) The ones that learn by reading
2.) The few who learn by observation
3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

'51 Henry J--'58 Jeep FC 170--'63 Comet Conv.--'67 Marlin
'06 Liberty(Mom's)--'96 Grand Cherokee
'83 SX/4 Sport-- 84 Dodge Rampage

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 08:51:57 PM »
$50 for an OE PCV Valve???  They range from $1.00 to $2.73 at Rock Auto for the 4.2.  Are we talking about some other valve/device?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 12:46:49 AM »
I am wondering that too , or else he meant $5 ??I have the same issue with Money Pit II , just as he describes.My PCV works,good vaccumm it seems, maybe a bit much at times ?? Idles around 5- 10 , running gets up around close to 20 I think. ( have to double check on a run tomorrow) So every few days I now open up the air cleaner and wipe it out.It has the PCV to the intake and I took another hose from where the fancy chrome breather was blowing oil all over, abd ran it into the air cleaner.The car doesn't smoke at all, just blows oil,too much pressure under the valve cover.It works like that, so it gets ran as is.I was thinking of a catch can thing,inlet on top, outlet hose connection inch or so off the bottom, stuff it with media to capture the oil out of the vapors and let it settle.

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 01:46:37 AM »
You -without thatelectri check thing correct before you go to manifold vac correct.

Manitowoc WI

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 06:23:56 AM »
$50 for an OE PCV Valve???  They range from $1.00 to $2.73 at Rock Auto for the 4.2.  Are we talking about some other valve/device?

Check the link in the original post - its a PCV valve on steroids, sells for $48
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 06:27:38 AM »
My apologies.  I must have missed the first part of this thread.  I will have to read more.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline autumnglen

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 10:31:57 AM »
Update:
Spent $50 for the "new" PCV valve (only available on the famous auction site), problem solved, NO more oil in the air cleaner assembly or dripping out all over the floor or driveway when parked.

All emissions control crap removed, even the computer is on my workbench, everything disconnected, even the wires removed! There is no vent for fresh air to the valve cover (plugged)

Gas mileage now up to 25+ mpg, no leaks anywhere. Just turned 102k miles on the SX/4

Living in God's country where emissions are only found on livestock and my dog (and me)!!!
So keep us updated on how well this new PVC valve is working, also can you post some pictures of your engine, I'd like to see how you plugged the air inlet.
Rita

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 01:08:48 PM »
What Rita, said.  I am interested in this for the Eagle.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline HawkenEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »
I just read their site. I gotta get one for the AMC and Studebaker. The low and high RPM there's really no where for the pressure to go but out the oil filler cap and the breather tube. This looks like a solution which does what a modern PCV should have been designed to do.
 $47 worth not having to scrub the block and air cleaner all the time.

Offline amkfken

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 12:03:30 AM »
Rita--and others interested:

This is called a envalve, go to their website on my first post which I did not get much response, usually "rebuild the engine"!!
$50 is much less and worth a try so I did it!
It replaces the oem pcv, made of some type of plastic, hooks up exactly as the oem in the valve cover and hose to carb.
The original "fresh air intake" hose is cut to about 1" and plugged with included tapered plug (be sure to use a hose clamp).
This was the last step in engine/emissions/ignition mods.
There are NO leaks anywhere,valve cover,air cleaner housing,rear main--nowhere!!!
@ 102k miles I am amused by the constant complaints about mileage, poor performance, etc. with the 258, I can break any speed limit in Colorado at high altitude and still get 25+ mpg, city and highway combined
This is with the STOCK BBD carb,all emissions removed @ 6000 to 11,000 ft altitude, I am well pleased with the 83 SX/4!!
This is NOT a Ferrari, just a fun little car, just happens to have 4wd!
There are three kinds of men;
1.) The ones that learn by reading
2.) The few who learn by observation
3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

'51 Henry J--'58 Jeep FC 170--'63 Comet Conv.--'67 Marlin
'06 Liberty(Mom's)--'96 Grand Cherokee
'83 SX/4 Sport-- 84 Dodge Rampage

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 01:19:56 AM »
Well , that's enough said for me, I am going to try one.I was thinking though,if the original is too small, why not just run a line direct without a PCV ???or "T" the breather into the line between the PCV and manifold?So both lines go into the manifold.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 03:06:17 AM »
i find it funny how many people tell me i need a new car just because it's an AMC. that's when i tell them that the engine in my car is the same one used in the 90's jeep cherokee that they're driving just that theirs is fuel injected with a different head. oh and i've had eagle eyes up to 120mph.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 11:04:03 AM »
Make them feel really bad and tell them its the same engine as found in 1964 Ramblers.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk