News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:51:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: hard starting after sitting for a few days.  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Gaujaai

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
hard starting after sitting for a few days.
« on: May 12, 2016, 01:45:12 PM »
I have a 1985 AMC Eagle with a 258, auto trans, ~85k miles, Carter BBD carb.. I purchased it from someone that only drove it in the summer to fish and trap, garaged all winter, one owner.

I am having a problem starting it when it sits for a few days. I have to pump the gas pedal and then crank the engine and repeat that process  4-6 times before it will start. Once it starts it runs fine and will restart without a problem. It is like the fuel is draining out of the carb and lines when sitting for a while. Now that the weather is getting warm again in the Northeast I can go outside and crawl under it if I need to.

What I have done so far:
        Replaced the fuel filter, yup the return line is at the top.
        Replaced the fuel pump.
        Standard tune-up plugs, wires, air filter etc.
        Put in a high voltage coil and distributor.
        Replaced the choke (it was bad and the new one works as it should.)
        Replaced the plastic valve cover with a new cast aluminum one (doesn't leak now!)
        Had the transmission completely rebuilt.
        Repaired the rear defroster.
        I have been through all of the vacuum lines and replaced what was bad.
        I did have the idle tube clogging problem so I pulled the venturi cluster and cleaned the tubes, no more stalling at lights.

In looking over some of the other posts I noticed one about the fuel line check valve, the problem seems to have gotten much worse after I had the fuel pump replaced so I am left wondering if the hose with the check valve was replaced and the check valve thrown out.

BTW: This vehicle actually belongs to my wife, I am just the person that works on it and sometimes I get to drive it!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 02:45:55 PM by Gaujaai »

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: hard starting after sitting for a few days.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 04:17:53 PM »
If they replaced all the fuel hoses under the hood, including the return fuel hose, chances are that the check valve got tossed along with the fuel hose.  However, I'm not sure it makes all that much difference, because I thought the check valve was to prevent fuel from coming back up the return fuel line from the tank.  And I would guess that most Eagles on the road these days do not have the check valve in them, because they got tossed unknowingly somewhere along the line.

One low cost solution would be to make sure you start the car every day  ;)
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 07:57:47 PM »
You could do the supposedly mc carb upgrade. I only think its an upgrade if your motor breathes better....head upgrade or stroker.  I otherwise think carb problem which is kind of a thing you already know. Try acelerator pump. Does it kind of stall when giving it gas than catch herself and go? That would be a sign of acelerator pump.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Gaujaai

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 09:11:12 AM »
You could do the supposedly mc carb upgrade. I only think its an upgrade if your motor breathes better....head upgrade or stroker.  I otherwise think carb problem which is kind of a thing you already know. Try acelerator pump. Does it kind of stall when giving it gas than catch herself and go? That would be a sign of acelerator pump.

Nope, once it starts it runs fine, no stall and go when giving it gas.

Offline Gaujaai

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 09:44:59 AM »
Rebuilt carb and it runs great now!

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
Glad to hear its running well and thanks for the update!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 08:13:15 PM »
 :occasion14:

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk