News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:34:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1985 Eagle Sedan Fleet model project  (Read 30434 times)

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
1985 Eagle Sedan Fleet model project
« on: August 17, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »
About a year ago I picked up this Eagle from a suburb in Chicago where I live. I remember wanting a eagle wagon bad when I was in highshool so I was pretty excited to pick this one up for $1200.  Needed a lot of work but ran and had less then 100,000 miles. The guy I bought it from didn't know much about it. Said it was sitting in a barn for 10 years and he used if for two years to plow his driveway and his neighbors. Yeah there was a plow on that thing. The two winters caused a bit of rust and all the modifications he did to the car to fit the 31in tires and plow were shoddy to say the least. Im not a good welder but the stuff he did to lift the thing were pretty bad.

I drove it home and the next day took it for a drive and stalled in the streets in the middle of summer in Chicago, after a tow home I started to dig into the electrical and didnt stop until I went through every inch of the car. Of course the project is never finished but I was happy to get to a point this past week which allowed me to take a 500 mile road trip to Michigan and back. Not one problem came up.  Thought Id share a few photos, should have taken more to show my process but you'll get the idea.

image by IMG_3015 by IMG_3031 by IMG_3009 by IMG_3181 by IMG_3184 by IMG_3502 by IMG_3754 by IMG_3772 by IMG_4172 by IMG_4139 by IMG_4162 by IMG_4160 by IMG_4257 by T A, on Flickr

How she's sitting now. Had some fun with it finally after 15 months sitting in the garage.

Anyone have any ideas on how many Sedan Fleet models are out on the road today?  Ive searched the internet and I have not seen one!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:45:45 PM by TEagle85 »

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Re: 1985 Eagle Sedan Fleet model project
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 01:28:12 PM »
WOW, nice job Tyler!!

Thanks for the pics too, it looks AWESOME!

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 01:39:12 PM »
Thanks! pretty happy with everything. I have more photos around. I can be specific about any process if its brought up or anyone is curious. Thanks to this forum for the wealth of knowledge. First car project. I normally work on Bicycles.

Offline Just4u2c

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 10:29:16 PM »
Nice work....

Ok I gotta ask because I am still stuck on tire size.... That is all stock height correct??  Do you rub with those tires at all??
79 AMX 401 5speed
81 SX/4 still a project/winter driver
83 Spirit GT.... Still up in the air with what to do with it

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 11:05:39 PM »
TylerEagle,

Thumbs up awarded for the gorgeous project pictures (and mods).  Very nice job...

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 10:23:48 AM »
Nice work....

Ok I gotta ask because I am still stuck on tire size.... That is all stock height correct??  Do you rub with those tires at all??

It is stock height or close to it.   There were 2in lift blocks in the rear and spacers on the front springs to fit the 31in tires that were on there. After I took all that off the 235s fit fine BUT the fenders have been trimmed a bit.  I still need to do a little more trimming. No problems on the road but if you start working the suspension on some rugged terrain it rubs a little.
I plan to add a leaf to the rear at some point and maybe get some new springs for the front. I would be happy with another 3/4 in lift. For now there's not enough rubbing to worry about it.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 09:28:12 PM »
Wow thats a good looking eagle! i am the owner of a 82 Sedan and looking into a wagon or another local sedan at the moment. They are far and few compared to the wagon model..

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 04:03:59 AM »
hi, I have had an 82 Sedan Limited, since 1994, my wife drove it for ten years, then i drove it , it is now rusted beyond saving, but, I am bringing back an 84  Sedan right now, soup to nuts full restification. I love your car! Not enough sedans out there, most folks went for the wagon, or the SX4, long story short, after about a year of engine rebuilding, trans rebuilding,front end rebuilding, interior renewal,  a year ago!, vinyl top getting rid of, drive  train renewal, and almost countless thousands of dollars, (ok, not countless, but a lot!), the beast fired up today! and moved under its own power (not far, front axle still not in), btw, another rebuild! and btw, i rebuilt the PS pump myself, no leaks!, new variable ratio steering gearbox too. Did I mention untold thousands of dollars, whew, but....It's ALIVE! A 1984 Sedan, total production roughly 4200, how many are left out there? maybe 30%?, probably less. You have one of the coolest cars in the country, no joke.  This 84 still has its Carter BBD, only because there is nothing wrong with it. On my 82 I did the Motorcraft swap, before Gronk or any of the online guys., back in 2000. I figured out how to make it run, and it ran for over 15 years, and is still ok today, basically the car died around the engine. If/when the Carter goes on my 84, I will go again to the Motorcraft carb., best carburetor ever made, in my opinion. Simplicity is a virtue!. Anyway, love your car, enjoy! gz

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 12:21:01 PM »
Saw the 85 Sedan numbers were about 2600. I have to think that there has to be at least 5 Sedan Fleet models still on the road. I've seen sedans but none with the opera window delete, and vinyl bench seats. Thanks for the "Coolest car in the country" compliment Ha.
I know what you mean about the cost. I have a gallon zip-lock bag stuffed to the brim with every single receipt. I am terrified to add it up but I know multiple thousands. Best just leave them in the bag until I sell it. No plans to do that yet but I know myself and my tendency to not hold on to things. This one might be different though.   
Of course the project is never finished. Would love to start digging into the drivetrain next.  5 sp manual swap would be a dream.

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »
Awesome write up.  We will need to hook up once I get my Eagle out of Wisconsin.  I'll buy the beer and take notes.
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 12:43:40 PM »
Awesome write up.  We will need to hook up once I get my Eagle out of Wisconsin.  I'll buy the beer and take notes.

Sounds like a plan!

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 04:38:51 PM »
Back at it with a update. since then I custom made front and rear wheel mudflaps from a semi mud flap and Ill post something on that soon.
Now Im in the process of rebuilding the trans and finding a NP242 to bolt up to it. 

Yesterday I pulled the two and starting the journey of a rebuild. Got a book coming in the mail today all about the 904 and 727 trans so some reading to do.
Ill try to document the build because I plan to go all out on the stock TF998.

Anyone do a manual shift valve in one of those?? I know its not a drag car but Id enjoy the shifting, simplicity and "performance". Its some money though I know.

Whatever upgrades and parts I can find... that's whats going in it. So if anyone has any suggestions it would be great. Ive already got a lot of info from other threads.

Next, motor rebuild.

Untitled by T A, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:50:51 PM by TEagle85 »

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »
That's awesome.  We need to hook up. Let me know if you need any help. 
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 04:59:13 PM »
For Sure, Just sent you a PM

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55