News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 05:47:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interior Trim  (Read 3046 times)

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
Interior Trim
« on: October 07, 2014, 02:35:36 PM »
Im in the process of refinishing my interior black i can't seem to figure out how to get the trim that runs down the side completely off it seems that the trim that runs up from the seat belt to the trim holding the headliner on is placed there in a way only americans would do.. i pulled all the screws so it all droops down but wont completely remove. anyone whose pulled this trim have a pointer for me?

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: Interior Trim
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 01:55:40 PM »
Here's how I did mine :

Remove the rubber type trim piece, then all the screws from both sides. Unbolt the seat belt (2 large bolts, one at the top and one under the carpet, I cut a small hole and shoved the socket in). Remove the front and rear door aluminum trim pieces that sit at the bottom of the door openings (the ones that say AMERICAN MOTORS).

I think they hug the frame they are on a bit, so it might take a bit pf pulling. AMC was odd in that they liked to use 2 sided tape, or some nasty thick glue crap, to hold on random pieces of trim.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 02:09:30 PM »
Awww how i love american made stuff. i had a fealing i was in for a major head ache. i will say ive done the bottom portion of the dash black and it looks spectacular. im working on all the trim and eventually pulling the top of the dash (somehow) and finally black carpet and she be set. Has anyone had any trouble with broken seat belt housings? all are broke but one.. lol

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 09:15:52 AM »
hi it also helps to remove the steel top piece, the one that holds on the headliner. btw, a good interior dye, not paint, in a spraycan is SEM brand, available from Eastwood, or your local PROFFESIONAL auto body paint supplier. the commercially available Dupli-Color brand vinyl/plastic dye is barely adequate at best

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 04:50:42 PM »
Im actually using the krylon automotive paint for exterior and to be honest im suprised by the outcome. its laid on smooth, keeps the texture of the plastic there and best of all you can't even tell its not original. how exactly does that metal trim come off because thats the peice thats holding me up!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 10:23:25 AM »
Just have to be careful and slowly pry...make sure the screws are out. One piece should slide out from the other.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
OK so i do pry. I started to then got scared... Lord knows just a little to hard of a tug and ill break everything haha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk