News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:09:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AMC Manual Transmissions - General Info  (Read 60708 times)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
AMC Manual Transmissions - General Info
« on: May 09, 2004, 09:58:07 AM »
Application Years (for Eagles):

The below information was compiled by Antti-Ville Nauha and has/is being edited for Eagle applications.

SR-4 4spd (151/258) '81
SR-4 AMC is pretty much the same as the Ford versions and limited to 220 foot pounds.
An exploded diagram in located in the Diagrams Section of this forum.

T4 4spd (151/150/258 ) '82-'86
T-4/T-5 has TF-998/904 output shaft and seal, so when converting from AMC T-4/5 to a Ford unit you will need the yoke.

T5 5spd S (150/258 ) '82-'87
T-5 looks very similar to the SR-4 and T-4, except for the bulge the shift lever housing for the overdrive.
T-5 front bearing retainer in the AMC T-5 is GM size, as is input  shaft. They're maybe shared with gm, or just compatible.  T-5 from a Mustang will fit any AMC engine if you get the bellhousing from SR-4 ('76-'81), T-4 ('82-'88 ) or T-5 ('83-'88 ) , and the throw out arm and bearing, from the same bell.   Also the front bearing retainer is needed, gm size, (maybe gm part?), if you don't want to modify the Mustang part.  Right clutch disc with the correct # of splines that also fits the pressure plate you're using, and the pilot bearing is also needed.
T-5 '94-up mustang input shafts are ~2/3" longer.

150-T (Tremec) is a Ford Toploader design. All the big three used  them in the late '70s; A toploader 4spd will slip right into the bellhousing and clutch. Also the output spline is the same [ 28 ] - the 150t is ford all the way. From compact to midsize cars the trannies are the same length as the 3spd.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 11:16:02 AM by IowaEagle »
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
Re:AMC Manual Transmissions - General Info
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 04:00:45 AM »
What's the torque rating on the Eagle T-5?  I have a feeling a 400+ inch v-8 will one day reside in SX-4. I'd like to keep the t-5 if it will hold up.
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

rally boy

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 11:16:09 PM »
well mick i dont think the stock t-5 will handle that kind of power. im assuming, once again, that the t-5 in an amc is the same as mid 80's t-5's in mustang's and camaro's. if i remember correctly a stock tranny cld probably handle like 260 hp. they kept upgrading them over the years. next level maybe 285 hp. now adays they got em up to like 325-340. i believe you cld rebuild yours with some heavy duty internals or youd have to purchase one from the aftermarket. everyone and his brother has modified these tranny's and FORD even sells em from the factory for a somewhat reasonable price. they really pionierd the developement with the cobra mustangs and a billion other drag racers. watch that second gear. miss a cple 1-2 shifts or speed shift it and bye-bye second. i totally envy you . i want an sx/4 with a 5 spd really bad. i also wld love to drop a 401 in there. heard its more work than its worth though. long live speed junkies!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: AMC Manual Transmissions - General Info
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 07:20:50 AM »
Went and checked my facts out and we were both partially right/wrong.  The T-5 was available from '82 -'87.  During the final year with only the 2.73 axle ratio.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 02:17:53 PM »
I think it was the standard trans with the auto as an option.  There might have been a few that actually had them.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 09:50:59 PM »
Most wagons and sedans had auto's  (Of course in '80 that was the only trans).  A much large number of the 50 series cars had manual transmissions -- unlike you though, I have only seen one SX/4 (not that I have seen that many) with a manual and of course that was a 4 banger.  Its too bad AMC did not keep records of how many cars were equipped with what -- just think of the trivia I could have fun with then.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline ernestborgnineamc

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 09:46:29 PM »
Does anyone have the part numbers required to convert the sr4 to a t-5?
Thanks
jon

Offline hypereagle

• SX4! A car that's in a league of it's own.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 01:04:41 AM »
well mick i dont think the stock t-5 will handle that kind of power. im assuming, once again, that the t-5 in an amc is the same as mid 80's t-5's in mustang's and camaro's. if i remember correctly a stock tranny cld probably handle like 260 hp. they kept upgrading them over the years. next level maybe 285 hp. now adays they got em up to like 325-340. i believe you cld rebuild yours with some heavy duty internals or youd have to purchase one from the aftermarket. everyone and his brother has modified these tranny's and FORD even sells em from the factory for a somewhat reasonable price. they really pionierd the developement with the cobra mustangs and a billion other drag racers. watch that second gear. miss a cple 1-2 shifts or speed shift it and bye-bye second. i totally envy you . i want an sx/4 with a 5 spd really bad. i also wld love to drop a 401 in there. heard its more work than its worth though. long live speed junkies!
I've taken note on the 6 spd. trans. swap and like the idea very much. Listening about the torque ratings all make sense - but it's all  pretty hard to know forsure until it's been done. Originally with the 6 cyl. and 4 spd in my car they pretty much cratered at the same time. I already did have the T5 in and NP207transfer case in the car andran it for another 3 years with the 360 hooked up to it.
 Shattered 2 clutches, and 3 rear axles but not the trans. It's a puney trans. and I'm still sceptical about it's size but it still has proven me wrong.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 12:29:51 AM by hypereagle »
73 AMX/Javelin, 79 Spirit, 81 SX4, 87 Comanche, 02 Grand Cherokee Ltd, 86 2dr Cherokee, 70 AMX 390 4 Spd.

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 08:38:59 PM »
ive heard it said many times that the sr4 just didnt last between the 258 and a 4wd. not sure how true that is though.

www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

eaglesx4

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 08:48:16 PM »
IE makes my car more rare everytime I see info, it's a 258 I-6 with 4 speed manual transmission.  I have at times looked down to make sure its  in 4th at 65 sounds like another gear is needed.

Offline bigdog56e

• Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 09:21:24 PM »
  The SR-4 was used in the last of the F100 Fords behind the 300 six and 302, not very durable. The "Z" version of the T-5 used in Mustang GT is rated 330 ft lbs torque, that is the one you want. gear ratios 2.95,1.94,1.34,1.0 and.63. The T-5 in the homebuilt is from a turbo coupe, extremely low 1st gear, like 30mph at 5000 rpm.
                                                                                                  Eddie

Offline ramblerman62-87

• from the frist car to the next amc
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • live well and have fun in what you do
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 04:24:25 AM »
dumb ? here but I would like to possibly stick a stick in my 87 wagon. has any one done it, or was is it an option? I Reilly don't care much for an auto trans. could any one point me in the right direction. thanks but this means i will need to find some donor pedals and set up, and  get mine running just to see if and how I like it as is or if it needs a 5sped. does the mpg get better what do you get? I would like to know MPG stick Vs auto any year with I6 maybe in town and on the road. thanks 
62 Rambler classic
87 AMC eagle
90 mustang
20+ Allis Chalmers garden tractors

www.simpletractors.com

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 06:53:55 AM »
Yup, '87 Eagles came standard with a manual trans.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Alcoatari

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 11:40:41 PM »
People keep saying that you can use a tranny from a mustang... As far as I know, this information is incorrect unless you get the tailshaft housing from a 4x4 t-5, as it wont bolt to the transfer case if it is the 2WD t-5.

If this is not the case, I would love to know what you guys are doing, or are you just ditching the 4WD altogether?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 06:50:05 AM »
I believe you are correct.  You would need the adapter.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk