News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 09:01:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dual setup  (Read 3895 times)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Dual setup
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:58:04 PM »
Recently my battery warning light was glowing dim and finally went full on bright after two nights of driving around town. NO charge from the alternator. Just got a new one and I'm rebuilding the stock one for a backup replacement in case this one turns out to be more garbage(recent alternator lasted 2 months). This has me wondering if any of you run your Eagles with dual alternators? I know it probably doesn't make much sense from a simple transportation standpoint but I notice some of you do some real work with these cars where I would expect more power. Is there any performance to be gained from this or is it just another pointless idea?
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Dual setup
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:22:48 PM »
I don't see any advantage. If you added a lot of electrical components and needed more amps and bigger alternator would be wiser. I've had better luck from local rebuilders than buying part store junk. A lifetime warranty doesn't do any good if you are breaking down every couple of months and having to replace alternators. I have a 140amp Delco 10si alternator in mine.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:35:40 PM »
had mine boosted to 175, and it was still in the si series case, so it bolted into the spirit. should be the same for eagles. if you had two stockers, youd have to figure the mounting, but im betting you could net maybe 150-200 amps cold. but like you see, im gettin right in the middle of that with one. or you could rig in a second boosted for over 300 amps, but unless you have lots of lights, or a big stereo (like me) you would never need it. head to the local small shop, pick up a good delco. youll thank yourself later.
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 09:41:08 PM »
Sounds like I have nothing to worry about then. I don't do any towing but I was wondering about the people that are always pulling stuff with their Eagles or doing ridiculous 4x4 stuffs, electrical, strange rigging...I just took out some weird worn looking rubber fabric that was bolted from the frame to the oil pan. Studs with nuts on one end...Why?

At least I found my oil leak...Also I now have an easier way to bolt in the alternator when it fails again(yes, dropping the skid plate is easier to me). I shouldn't worry about stupid stuff like this but it happens. My last alternator had trouble keeping the car alive longer than a minute on the freeway with foglights. It was a 37A and I replaced it with a 78A. I still have the stock 67A alternator on my desk and I'm thinking of rebuilding it and keeping it around as a spare. Just another part to add to the emergency box I guess. :/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:42:51 PM by DaemonForce »
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:15:21 PM »
I have 2 alts but the second one is for welding only.

Manitowoc WI

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:28:54 AM »
Ive seen 2 alternator set ups but all have been in big rig and rv applications. You would have to put a lot of lights on one of these things to require a second alternator.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 06:18:14 AM »
The Alternator rebuild can be found in the Eaglepedia.
The rebuild kit is about 12$.

http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Alternator_Rebuild
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk