News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:59:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nothing when I turn the key...  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Vgrizzw

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Nothing when I turn the key...
« on: October 21, 2015, 11:59:13 PM »
I had an odd issue today where out of no where my 84' eagle wouldn't even acknowledge the key being turned, let alone start. After fiddling for a few minutes with the wires and such and not doing anything specific, voilà, all went back to normal. But later this evening it did it again....the battery is fine, my guess is a wire(s) in the column area that must be loose because nothing at all happens when I turn the key and there are no lights or sounds even in the "run" position. My question is, as this is a new car to me, is there a module or ignition switch that seem to go bad that I should check or anything that points to an issue like this? Any insight is appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:09:19 AM by Vgrizzw »

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Nothing when I turn the key...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 08:52:38 AM »
could be the neutral safety switch, is this an automatic, if so next time it happens move the gear selector around if it starts then probably needs adjusted

Offline Vgrizzw

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 09:49:54 AM »
It is a manual. But I figured even if it was the nss it would still acknowledge the key when turned to "run". I don't get any lights on the dash or anything pre ignition.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 10:15:37 PM »
I had a fusable link do that.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Vgrizzw

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 10:29:42 PM »
Well, since the 2 episodes the other day my car hasn't missed a beat. Would a fusible link be intermittent like that?

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 12:52:11 AM »
Don't overlook the simple -- maybe dirty battery cable connections at the battery.   When the seasons change is when that issue usually pops up.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 10:31:42 AM »
The fuseable link i had was falling apart, and making a loose connection. so yes.

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 01:04:49 PM »
Don't overlook the simple -- maybe dirty battery cable connections at the battery.   When the seasons change is when that issue usually pops up.

What ^he said^. The wet, pastey grey looking stuff between the post and clamp is lead oxide which passes less than 5% of power through and the resistance heats up the clamp. Buff the post and inside of the clamp clean where they touch and the problem should go away unless it's the ignition slider failing or a fusible link.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk