News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: '85 in the Pacific Northwest  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Sasquatch

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
'85 in the Pacific Northwest
« on: April 20, 2019, 08:24:50 PM »
Hello everyone.
I had no idea Eagles existed until late last year when I was cruising the internet at lunch break and I stumbled upon a footnote somewhere (Wikipedia maybe?) that ended up launching me down a rabbit hole of fixation. I was immediately obsessed with getting my hands on one. 

I found this forum not long after and put up a post asking about an SX/4, as that particular sub-model caught my eye the most. Unfortunately I live in the Pacific Northwest and Eagles are practically unheard of around here. The few that I managed to find were all wagons, heavily modified, lifted, cut up, welded onto a Blazer frame, or just generally torn to pieces.

And then I saw one on Craigslist. A white wagon. Not exactly the mint SX/4 I was looking for, but I decided to drive a few hours and take a look, just to see if the obsession was justified. It was overpriced, neglected, filthy, and sinking into the ground. But it was beautiful. So of course I couldn't leave it there.

The good news is it's solid. Rust isn't really a problem up here, so I've managed to skirt around the major downfall that seems to plague many Eagles.

Most of the bits and parts are there, with some trim missing/broken, but the drive-train is all intact, all original, with a T-5 (and A/C). The interior is a little torn up. Some absolute fool decided to cut bigger speaker holes, so that's great; and the headliner was sagging and torn so that's gone. The front doors droop so much they won't even close right, and both handles are trashed.

After a thorough inspection and much research this is the plan: Swap in a 4.0, and keep the T-5 and 129. The 258 was, sadly, quite neglected, and would need a complete rebuild anyways, so why not swap in my buddy's '97 Cherokee engine and go for MPFI instead? Yes OBDII will be difficult, but I've got time, and the turn-key reliability is something I can't pass up; and who doesn't want more power? 

As for the interior, I was going to redo quite a bit of it, but then, just now, I stumbled on a post on here where someone mentioned how rare the "garnet" is. So should I keep as much of it as possible? The carpet and headliner are trashed, but the rest could be salvaged.

Opinions are very welcome, and a fond (and formal) hello to you all!

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
Re: '85 in the Pacific Northwest
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 10:47:09 PM »
Welcome!  Sounds like you have a good starting point, and some ambitious plans with that 4.0 swap.  The T-5 is a nice perk also.  No idea if the 129 will work behind the 4.0, somebody here will surely chime in.  Depending on how beat up your interior is, I personally wouldn't worry much about how "rare" it is.  Make it your own.  Of course, that's coming from a guy that painted his Eagle red white and blue!
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 05:33:21 AM »
The 129 will be fine behind a 4.0. However why not take what the xj has for a transfer case as well.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Sasquatch

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 10:55:19 AM »
Transfer case is gone already. Axles too.
The 129 suits me well enough. This will primarily be a daily driver, so 99% on road.

Amarshall: Red, white, and blue, eh? Sounds like you have a 'merican eagle! I briefly considered doing the same but I don't have the moxie for that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk