News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 05:13:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: no start with key  (Read 3507 times)

Offline Crazeedude1974

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
no start with key
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:40:03 AM »
I cannot start my 86 amc eagle
With the key ...I have to disconnect the green wire on the
Solenoid. And start it there with a screw driver....I replaced
The starter,pickup coil,solenoid,coil ,and ignition switch,wires plugs.....no spark with key
Someone please help I'm at a loss

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
Re: no start with key
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 10:22:30 AM »
I have the same problem with more than one of mine. I ran a momentary switch (It has a spring so it must be held down to be on) from the forward big post where the positive battery cable is to the switch and then back to the forward small post. The key has to be in the run position for it to stay running but just putting 12V to that forward small post on top will kick the starter.

Eagles are notorious for solenoid issues. Automatic transmissions have a neutral safety switch that provides a weak ground to the post at the bottom of the solenoid. During troubleshooting that post should have an alligator clip directly to the negative battery post to eliminate weak ground as a factor.

The manual transmission solenoids are even worse for ground issues because the two rusty mounting screws are the only ground for the solenoid. I drill a big hole between them and bolt a battery cable from there over to the battery cable on the side of the engine. That also doubles as insurance against damage if your body strap breaks, which caused a fire on one of my Eagles.

The first thing I do to all of my Eagles is to replace the solenoid with a manual transmission version with that hole drilled in the base. When the Eagle eventually stalls, as they all do eventually, I am able to start the car immediately without shifting into neutral. There is no harm to the drivetrain if you start the car while in drive. I consider that a bigger safety advantage than the disadvantage of the risk of the car lurching forward. I haven't yet forgotten to put the car into park and I park all my manual transmission cars in gear, which has the same risk. Other people have strong opinions against eliminating the NSS. My opinion is strongly for bypassing it permanently.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Crazeedude1974

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »
We are going to do the switch thing as a last resort....I,really want to fix it properly......but will follow,your advise as a last resort thank u!!!

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »
To know conclusively if your ignition is working you should turn the key to the run position, see the dash lights light up, then turn to the run position and see a change as the accessories are turned off. At the same time the wire at the solenoid should be measured to see a change of state up to 12V. If both those things are true then you've eliminated all the possible problems up to there.

If 12 volts gets where it needs to when it needs to then focus on the 0Volts getting there too. It is very common to have the Park position out of whack. Try starting it in Neutral instead. That is a different detent on the switch and more reliable.

If you don't see a change of state from open circuit to 12Volt when the key is in the Start position, then good luck. I will say that it sometimes comes down to a recent upgrade from tilt to nontilt steering columns. Those have the same plugs but mirror image pin locations. That has befuddled many people, especially my brother way back when.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Crazeedude1974

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 11:01:14 AM »
It starts with the key fine when it sits for a few days
Nothing such as radio or wipers act strange when using the key....it's the weirdest thing lol

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 12:07:36 AM »
The 12 volt pickup in the solenoid is worn off and the ignition resistor wire is dropping voltage too much to make spark.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Crazeedude1974

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 08:20:58 AM »
It's the 4th solenoid we put on the car

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »
If there is a short in the wire to the I terminal, it will melt off pretty much instantly.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Crazeedude1974

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 10:26:52 PM »
Nothing melted just. Sometimes it has spark using the key and other times it doesn't

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk