News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 10:07:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fried ignition  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
Fried ignition
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:36:10 PM »
I just changed over to a Skip White HEI on my sons 83 wagon about a week ago. Got it all running good (better than before) I drove my wife to work today with it and then picked her back up, about an hour worth of driving with no problems. My son drove it to work 40 miles no problem again. He came out of work, started the car and went to leave and it died. No power to anything. I grabbed the truck and dollie and go get him. He's melted a fusible link. Okay, I tow it home and start messin with it and hook up a fuse inline and instantly pop that fuse. I go research the den and find out the intake manifold heater is connected through the oil pressure sender so I disconnect them and turn the key with a new fuse in and cranks over and starts but keeps the starter engaged. :banghead: So next I grabbed a spare working solenoid and put it in and get the same thing :banghead: :banghead: I had to disconnect the power to the coil to kill the engine and then had to disconnect the battery to disengage the starter(engine is stuck in start mode with the key off) I will go disconnect all the plugs from the ICM and try again then quit for the night. Any suggestions would definitely be appreciated
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Fried ignition
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:44:51 PM »
If you are using the HEI the ICM should already be disconnected.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:40:11 PM »
I have a skip white dizzy

Don't need icm or fuseabel link, hook the hot wire for dist straight to 12v (key on) post on selenoid , no othe wires needed

The HEI has to get 12 volts to work properly, the old hot wire that went to your coil is only like 8 don't use it
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:49:37 PM »
Thats what I have , a new wire from the ign terminal directly to the distributor. My assumption is the component on top of the steering column after looking at the starting diagram in the Eaglepedia. The whole start sequence seems to be shorted out. I do have the dizzy disconnected from the icm and the coil but did not remove any of the wires or the brain box yet. Nothing appears pinched or damaged.
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 10:55:32 PM »
Oh ok, sorry I missunderstood

Hmmm this is a tougher one then, starter hanging with key off sure sounds like selenoid though, but you said you replaced that already
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 01:40:10 PM »
OK I got it! It was exactly what I thought it was, something stupid :o When I installed the HEI I obviously disconnected the coil and distributor but that wasn't enough. Once I disconnected the other plugs the problem went away. Still don't understand why because from what I can see there isn't anything for the primary start circuit in there. Hopefully the problem doesn't return. Now when it warms up I have to gut the wires that are no longer being used in a manner that allows them to be gone back to if needed.(like that would happen)
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 01:52:49 PM »
Once I disconnected the other plugs the problem went away.

Which other plugs did you disconnect?  I just did this conversion also, and its working fine, but I haven't really gone back into to clean things up.

And glad to hear its working now!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »
You might of had power feeding backwards somehow and feeding the solenoid power when it wasn't suppose to.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 08:52:24 PM »

Once I disconnected the other plugs the problem went away.

Which other plugs did you disconnect?  I just did this conversion also, and its working fine, but I haven't really gone back into to clean things up.

And glad to hear its working now!!
Not sure what else is run off the ICM there are two other plugs that I disconnected and pulled the whole box out
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk