News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:43:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cracked Liftgate Hinge  (Read 2789 times)

Offline LeesSummitEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Cracked Liftgate Hinge
« on: October 01, 2018, 10:05:43 PM »
In need of help and advise. I noticed a crack in the drivers liftgate hinge. Can this be repaired? I have removed the liftgate struts to relieve pressure on the hinge and
avoiding opening the liftgate. So far the crack had not spread. I have not been able to locate any hinge to replace it. Cannot find a used one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Cracked Liftgate Hinge
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 08:05:50 AM »
You could post a wanted ad in the classifieds section. Someone might have one to sell. Also mabe check to see that it is still tight to the roof.

Manitowoc WI

Offline runsfar

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • 1986 Eagle wagon
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 10:10:57 AM »
I have the exact same thing, driver side hinge. Create a saved search for the hinge on eBay. They do pop up from time to time. I only waited a couple weeks before a pair appeared in my inbox.
I have no idea why I wanted a thirty year old car so bad, but it is finally mine.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »
My post was more of a hint, as i have a few unneeded sets.

Manitowoc WI

Offline ditdit

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • dare to be different,own an AMC !
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 03:08:52 AM »
It seems like we are all plagued by this terrible part , I also am in the same boat and needing a left & right

Thanks
ditdit

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 12:31:46 PM »
Im picking up an old sx/4 parts car. I don't need them, if it has a good set ill let ya know. im planning on parting it out as much as possible.

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 02:34:22 PM »
Pretty sure the SX/4's hinges are different than the wagon's. I have one half decent wagon hinge for sale...

Offline ditdit

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • dare to be different,own an AMC !
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 11:58:03 PM »
Thanks for answering my request  ,i really need the drivers side ,is there any cracks ,do not care if there are crome or painted just no cracks 
James Ditty
ditdit
[email protected]
88Eagle ,Mfg Dec 87
84 Eagle ltd sta wag

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 06:58:55 PM »
This is something the previous owner of my Eagle did that does help significantly reduce the outwards load on the hinges. The main bolts are too far back for the thickness of the metal and the load stress will doom them all to fail eventually unless you permanently close the hatch.

He drilled two new holes straight through the hinges and through the body and ran new bolts through. My passenger hinge is cracking, but it's old. After this fix was installed it looks like the fatigue stopped.

This is likely not a perfect repair for already broken hinges but it should go a long way to help partially cracked hinges from failing completely.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 07:05:31 PM by MIPS »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk