News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:11:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need a picture of headliner trim back corner  (Read 3188 times)

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
Need a picture of headliner trim back corner
« on: March 12, 2016, 12:37:58 PM »
I'm finishing up my headliner replacement on my 1984 wagon and ran into a snag.

The problem being that I removed the headliner over two years ago (without taking pictures first) and am just now getting around to re-installing it.  I've got all the surrounding trim in place, but I seem to be missing a couple of pieces at the back corners.  The missing pieces would tie the metal trim that runs along the sides into the plastic piece that runs across the back (at the top of the rear hatch).  I've got a box of various broken-off interior trim pieces, but none of them seem to match up.

It's also possible that my plastic 'back-edge' trim is broken off at each end, and that it's supposed to run all the way out to meet the side trim, but I can't figure it out.

Could some kind soul please snap a picture of the one of the back corners of this trim, so I at least know what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance,
JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: Need a picture of headliner trim back corner
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:48:52 AM »
Pretty please???

Just stick your old smartphone back there and snap a quick picture.  Alternatively, if you can point me to an existing picture somewhere in the Den, that would do fine also.  I've looked but have not been able to find one.

Come on, guys, somebody please throw me a bone...

JB
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:49:57 AM by johnbendik »
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 12:47:28 PM »
I wish I could help you out but I have no wagons!

I do believe you're right, there is a piece that goes inbetween the side trim and the trim that runs along the back.  Is there a diagram in the Technical Services Manual?
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 01:44:11 PM »
The manual I have is titled "M.R.251"... not sure if that's the Technical Services Manual.  But it doesn't have much info on trim and interior stuff; if it don't have a moving part, it ain't in there.

Problem is, the only Eagle I've ever seen in my life is the one I own.  So I don't have a good catalog of memories of how things are supposed to look.

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 02:35:13 PM »
Take a look at this Ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1988-AMC-Eagle-SX4-Station-Wagon-OEM-Headliner-Headlining-Pillar-Moldings-/222030847698?hash=item33b211ded2:g:CiAAAOSwZG9Wlb8i&vxp=mtr

The 2 small pieces in the lower part of the photos are what you're looking for.

Hope you find yours!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 12:16:57 AM »
Thanks, AMC of Houston.  That picture confirmed that the two 'unmatched' pieces I had left were indeed the two corner pieces.  Once I knew they had to fit somehow, I was able to figure out the correct orientation.

I have to say, however, that it still looks really awkward.  The corner pieces do not quite reach the ends of the hatch-lip molding, and it's not clear whether they should overlap the side moldings or vice-versa... it looks pretty funky either way.  I settled on the side pieces overlapping the corner pieces because it looked a little less funky, but I still wish I had a picture of what it was supposed to look like in place.

But thanks much for your help; I was finally able to wrap up my headliner restoration.  I'll probably post about that soon.

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk