News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 10:59:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Headliner idea  (Read 3223 times)

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Headliner idea
« on: December 27, 2011, 02:57:30 AM »
I dont know how well this would work, so I was just looking for an opinion.  My head liner is kind of icky and sagging.  I was thinking about putting some spray on bed liner on the pad and putting it back on.  I think this could look good and be less permanent than spraying the liner directly on the roof.  I also worry about the fiber board disintegrating as it would be tough to find another.  Any thoughts?
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Headliner idea
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 05:17:23 AM »
I just use plain old fabric. Strip old glue and material off. Reapply new glue and material. I have done 4 now.

Manitowoc WI

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 09:51:05 AM »
I thought about doing that myself after seeing an SX/4 on here awhile back with the bedliner put directly on the roof.  I ended up recovering mine with the help of a local upholstery guy.  It turned out okay.  I would have done it myself, but I couldn't get the nutmeg colored fabric.  The guy I used was the only one I could find who could get ahold of the right color. 

I had also looked into coating it in fiberglass, sanding and painting it.  But after I did some fiberglass work on my old camper I gave up that idea.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 07:44:05 PM »
I'm taking the material off and then gluing padded couch/diamond tuft material up there (or black carpet over foamboard)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 08:49:14 PM »
If you want something that will be water resistant and clean up well, maybe install vinyl  instead of fabric.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 08:51:59 PM »
I agree on the vinyl

Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 01:12:14 PM »
When I did my headliner, I just peeled off the old fabric and residue down to the fiber board and I used a piece of ulta-suede and a couple of cans of spray on rubber cement.  Now I can draw little pictures in the knap while I wait for my wife when she "will be just a minute".
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 06:02:33 PM »
I opted to go with a vinyl material.  I do like the idea of the ulta-suede... even though I don't have that "waiting just a minute thing" as my girl doesn't like to ride in the Eagle.   
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk