News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:41:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's the towing capicity?  (Read 4935 times)

Offline noice87

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
What's the towing capicity?
« on: November 12, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
I have a 86 wagon automatic that I've been working on since March. If anything could go wrong with it it has.  It has a tow hitch but I'd like to know the towing capacity.   Google was no help.  I wanted to haul junk cars but one of the many mechanics who have worked on my car said my transmission was not rated for that.

Thanks steven

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: What's the towing capicity?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 05:37:43 PM »
I googled it and found this on the Wiki.

Optional trailer towing packages were available for handling trailers weighing up to 3,500 lb (1,588 kg) that included a weight distributing (equalizing) tow hitch, seven-connector wiring harness, wiring, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, 3.54 axle ratio, and required the optional heavy-duty battery and automatic load-leveling air shocks.

Also I've been in an Eagle wagon that towed an Eagle SX/4 on a car dolly through 3 states. The wagon had the 4.0 head conversion and AW4 from a Cherokee. We would have never attempted it otherwise and I will say I was pretty scared a few times on I-70 when we were passing some triple hauler semis. Those things give off some strange wind currents. So what I'm saying is unless you are dolly or flat towing some really light vehicles a short distance I'd say don't try it.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:46:00 PM by Prafeston »
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk