News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 05:30:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: kickdown linkage ? motorcraft carb installed by P O  (Read 5061 times)

Offline wampus_cat

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
kickdown linkage ? motorcraft carb installed by P O
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:01:14 AM »
I hope I am posting this in the correct spot...
I recently purchased a 1985 eagle wagon 258 cid.  Previous owner installed a motorcraft carb.. but failed to get everything hooked up right.  Apparantly the EGR is bypassed which is fine in my book.  No cruise control, but more importantly the kickdown linkage is not hooked up, and I cannot afford one of Gronks $300 carb kits right now.  I gather for reading on here, that the original throttle cable pulls down on the old carters, and this one pulls back. 
Any ideas on how to change this around, or otherwise fabricate or get a linkage to make the kickdown work?  The kickdown linkage is present, as is the cruise cable, but it is disconnected from the carb linkage.  I tried to get good pics, but it is a little hard to get in there with the camera, without total disassembly.
I tried to find a good picture of this operation an eaglepedia, but the carb linkage, and the kickdown linkage are listed seperate, and it is hard to get the whole picture.
Any advice is appreciated.
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa340/wampus_cat/8-21-11010.jpg
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa340/wampus_cat/8-21-11008.jpg
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa340/wampus_cat/8-21-11009.jpg

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
Re: kickdown linkage ? motorcraft carb installed by P O
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 01:17:17 PM »
Wow!  That is a butchered install.  It looks like you have just about everything you need to make the kick down work.  relocate the kick down cable to a rear pull like your throttle linkage.  Mount it under the TC and use a bolt/stud on the bottom of the carb linkage to retain the cable connection.  email me at: [email protected] and I will send you a rough "MS paint" version of what I am saying.

You ca also convert the  carb to a dow pull linkage but it looks pretty rough.  If the rear pull is working I recommend fixing that.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 01:37:16 PM »
wow that is pretty bad ..... if you want to revert back to the stock eagle down pull setup i can get ya all of the pieces needed and probaly a kickdown rodwow that is pretty bad ..... if you want to revert back to the stock eagle down pull setup i can get ya all of the pieces needed and probaly a kickdown rod
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline wampus_cat

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »
You are right it is a butchered install, I swear that is not my work!  The TC does seem to work ok, so I think I would be open to converting it to rear pull kickdown, if I can figure out how to make it work.  The MS paint version of what you said would be appreciated.  I just want to do what is easiest to make it work good, maybe I will upgrade someday.  Another ? is how do I tell which motorcraft carb do I have, and how do I check the jet size (and what size do you reccomend they be?)?  Thanks again.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »
I hope you received the pic I sent and that it made sense.

Look on the throttle side of your fuel bowl and there will be a # cast w/ a circle around it.  possibilities are: .98, 1.01, 1.02, 1.08 (desired), 1.14, 1.21, 1.23 and 1.33

You want the 1.08.  The 1.08 flows 275-287 CFM without modification.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline wampus_cat

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 10:44:16 PM »
Yes I recieved your MS paint pic, thank you that is about what I was thinking.  My carb even has 1.08 on its side.  Awsome..  I will be working on the kickdown linkage connection soon, I just got the valve cover replaced..  Thanks for your time again gronk, and others

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk