News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:52:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle loses all power when put in gear  (Read 1962 times)

Offline marty

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Eagle loses all power when put in gear
« on: August 14, 2018, 06:06:45 PM »
83 Eagle, 258, emissions bypass, Skip White HEI dist.  Everything else is stock.
Drove to work and everything was fine.  Came out to go home, started just fine but as soon as I put it in to gear it stalled out.  I was able to get it going and it slowly climbed up to speed, could feel gears shifting and limped it home.  Thought it was the cat so I removed it...there was literally nothing inside!  Removed the muffler and it had rattling and some chunks fell out (muffler is under 2 years old), so I figured the cat got clogged and blew into the muffler...problem solved...NOT!  No exhaust system on the car and still have the same problem.  Car will rev up in neutral but die when put into gear.  Figured the torque converter or tranny were shot so I had it towed to the tranny shop I have used for years and they said it is not a trans problem.  OK, I'm stumped and open to suggestions.  HEI dist, plugs and wires are also under 2 years old. OEM carb was also rebuilt under 2 years ago (drilled out the idle ports when I rebuilt it).  Fuel filter under 2 years old...fuel pump age is unknown.  Brakes are not locked up.  Have not tried to see if it was the diff or front wheel drive.  Thanks for all help.
Marty

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: Eagle loses all power when put in gear
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 11:40:08 PM »
Try checking engine with vacuum gauge.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 12:24:08 AM »
Did a loose worn out timing chain jump a cog?   Had that happen on a Chevy and Pontiac in years past, with those symptoms.    I really need to change the chain on my waggie, as I can hear it banging on the cover!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 09:47:22 AM »
does it rev up fine in neutral or ?
sounds like it could be fuel delivery issues

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 08:16:09 PM »
Been thinking on this. It does sound like a clogged cat. Just cause nothing is in your cat could it be in a bend on the tal pipe. I know you said you took the muffler off, but i do not know if you put a straight pipe in its place. Otherwise check that your not sucking air instead of fuel from a gas line leak. You might not see a gas leak from the suction side of the fuel pump.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:19:57 PM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk