News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:19:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Buyers remorse  (Read 8049 times)

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: Buyers remorse
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »
Buyer's remorse? A 1997 Chevy Blazer. To add insult to injury, I bought a set of tires for it. Shortly after buying the tires it developed a bad oil leak that cost $900 to fix. Then fuel mileage fell to about 12mpg. I had no idea what would be next. I got rid of it. I'm sure I just got a bad one, but it's soured me on GM products. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 08:27:01 PM »
Buyer's remorse? A 1997 Chevy Blazer. To add insult to injury, I bought a set of tires for it. Shortly after buying the tires it developed a bad oil leak that cost $900 to fix. Then fuel mileage fell to about 12mpg. I had no idea what would be next. I got rid of it. I'm sure I just got a bad one, but it's soured me on GM products. :eagle:
I can totally relate to that eaglebeek.
Bought my 1st ever brand spankin' new vehicle (an '05 Chrysler PT Cruiser), babied it, maintained everything properly (service records, etc.) and had problems with it since 9k mi (even the service dept. had a hard time tracking it down & it took until it hit 19k mi for them to find it, turns out it was the oil sending unit).  And just last summer (with just 43k mi on it) it started hemorrhaging oil.
My replacement list on this car:
@ <18k (8/1/08) NEW stock radio.
-@ <19k (8/29/08) NEW oil sending unit (dealt w/ since 12/22/06 <9k).
-@ 43k (7/19/13) NEW timing belt & tensioner, water pump, engine gasket pkg, oil pan, head resurfacing. = $,$$$
-@ 44k (9/25/13) NEW oil sending unit.
AND it still needs a new case plug, leaking oil around it since last years work.

This has soured me on Chrysler products. Buyers remorse? Yes! I probably should've stuck with Ford.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:30:07 PM by MudPuppy »
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 10:17:09 PM »
Wow, I already hated PT Cruisers and that just reassures me on my hatred! I just think they are hideous!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Eagle Groupie

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Allentown, PA
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 10:46:29 PM »

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 11:09:13 PM »

:rotfl: When I heard the price of the repairs I wouldn't have minded that at all. In fact I told the guys that if it "accidentally" fell off their lift it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit.
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 11:39:46 AM »
Well, I probably should say this, but I regret buying the big Eagle aka Rockhopper. It's cool as heck and I've had a little fun with it, but there were a lot of little things that needed to be done and there are a couple left. I've got at least $11,000 wrapped up in it and not even getting any offers at $6,900. If I would have put the money I'll be losing into my other Eagle, it would be like brand new.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
I bought a 2000 Cherokee XJ that was a rusted piece of :censored:. They had filled it in with bondo then repainted the vehicle (really nice job at that!). When I was having the rocker panels replaced the thing caught fire a bit. Regret buyign that PoS.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 03:08:28 AM »
'03 E350 van. I expected to make money. Not lose it on that one. Trans cost me $4,000 to fix.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk