News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 01:15:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I got my ride.  (Read 8977 times)

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
I got my ride.
« on: April 08, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »
Before I start on anything, I just want to apologize for being absent (for a month?) from the forum. I know it's not a big deal, but I feel like people disappear from these forums a lot, and this forum is a lot closer knit than most.

I finally got a new car, but not exactly what I planned on.  The ride in question?  a 1987 Dodge Daytona.  My off and on flirtation with this car became to much, and I jumped on the opportunity. I know it's not even the generation that I'm in love with, but the price was right, and it was possibly the shortest car buying trip I've made.  I had obviously hoped for an eagle, and am still looking, but I'm not getting anything soon.  maybe for next winter if the price is right.  (on another note, I'm note sure if anyone has seen this, but that white with blue stripes eagle in Saginaw is way lowered in price, and would be worth checking out)

I almost feel bad, and feel like I was letting you guys down, because I didn't end up getting an eagle, but I know that it's far from that.  I'm the kind of person (I get this from my mother) that needs to justify their decision to myself.  I suppose If I needed to, I keep telling myself that I'm young.  I want something exciting.  I don't really care that much about performance, but I love the rush of getting from 0-60 in a stick shift.  I know my dad's Jeep certainly isn't a fast launcher, and I'd guess Eagles are much the same. 

If anything seems phrased weird, it's because I'm just copy-pasting this from Turbo Dodge, out of a different conversation. 

Got some pictures! 

I wanted to wash her down all nice, but like I said above, I only had a towel and some hot water.  I'd like to know of anyone takes theirs through a power wash, with leaky t tops.  It doesn't leak horrible, but I don't want to be dripping with soap and water.

Just the original photo, but I thought I'd share it again.  The antenna is a power antenna, but apparently something was done wrong, and it drains the battery.  There is a dent (actually 2 I think)  but it's not noticeable.  Note the rims.  I don't know what they are, they say Z racing, so I jumped to datsun z cars, but I think it's just some brand. either way, I like them enough. 

First picture after the rinse.  I did a good enough job.  Do you see the lebaron?  it was my first car, and it got me through.  Don't think it got me hooked on daytona's.  I actually have nothing but distaste for that car.  No reason really, it's just not my style.  after I took these pictures, I wanted to hop in the daytona and drive, even if it got her dirty again.   >:D

I really don't like stickers on cars, so I want to take those off.  I have looked up easy ways to take them off, but does anyone have any good methods?

If this was in good condition, I'd think about keeping this one.  For anyone who doesn't know, It's a Hodag.  Much like a dragon.  I got the car near Rhinlander, Wi: home of the hodags.  (school mascot.) the town is littered with statues of them.  There's another sticker on the front window, not as thick that says you can look, but you can't touch.  I appreciate the thought, but I'm not a fan of "funny stickers"

Glamour shot.  I forgot to snag one of without the t tops on. I'll wait till it's in a more seductive pose for that.

just another one.  thought I could get a good shot. turns out, I can't.

Seat covers.  Not sure that I like them, but they're there.  Junk for my new apartment in the passenger seat.

Not sure what I was going for with this picture.  I've never really been a fan of 80s gray-blue interiors, but I'll learn to love it.

Goodies.  Lots of lights for some reason.

back of this says it's to an 89.  The backlight on the speedometer (one installed, not this one) is broken and doesn't light up good.

I don't really know if I'll ever need these.  (extra headlight covers)

Extra t tops in  very good condition. (not that the others aren't) I was to lazy to take them out of the bags.  I also got a new hood insulator, a shift knob (just some junk one off ebay)  and some other things.  Nothing to important.  There's a lot of room in the engine compartment!  I was surprised by that.

I'll leave you with this old guy, that you might have spied above.  He's been my best friend since I was a wee little lad.  Some may look down upon it, but he was the first of my family to get a ride in the car. 

I think that's all I had. If anyone wants to see something specific, lemme know, I'll take some pictures.

Offline DownwardFlame

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: I got my ride.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:37:11 PM »
Pretty good lookin car!  What no digital dash? I'm surprised lol!
-1970 Mustang Coupe
-1982 F-150 Stepside
-1980 Eagle Wagon
-1981 Sx4

Offline matt1971

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 12:50:29 PM »
Hi. Matt here. That's a cool lookin car! I like it! I like the way the rear spoiler wraps around the back!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 02:41:13 PM »
Now that you have a daily driver you can take your time finding the right Eagle, or other AMC car, for you.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Eagle Groupie

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Allentown, PA
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 02:49:02 PM »
Looks awesome. Hooray for blue cars! :)

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 03:18:10 PM »
I was hoping for the digital dash the whole time.   I still have my eye that cheap one nearby. I can't convince my family of the cost /benefit  deal.  I may even consider a wagon, now that I filled the sporty aspect of my garage.

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 07:58:34 PM »

HI That's one fine looking car .....The interior is a lot like the LeBron .....By the way my wife has one just like that one same color and top .....The LeBron and she loves it but I don't like to drive it .....

Nice car good luck on finding a Eagle down the road you have time now to find the wright one  for you......
                 don 
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 09:25:31 PM »
Nice car!  Congrats!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 11:00:45 PM »
Nice one man. The first car I bought with my own money was an '89 Dodge Daytona. Not the cool t-top like yours though. Mine was just a plain jane one. No spoiler or anything. Is yours a Shelby? Nice ride. Hope you can find an Eagle some day though!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 11:54:23 PM »
Looks like a neat car! What does it have for an engine?
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »

I agree.  Great looking car!  I don't blame you for picking that over an Eagle.  If I  my major criterion for a car hadn't been a good bad weather/bad road commuter  car I'd have chosen that over my Eagle too.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:32:54 PM by priya »

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 10:53:09 AM »
Nice one man. The first car I bought with my own money was an '89 Dodge Daytona. Not the cool t-top like yours though. Mine was just a plain jane one. No spoiler or anything. Is yours a Shelby? Nice ride. Hope you can find an Eagle some day though!
unfortunately, no.  bust base model. but as it turns out, I don't really care.  It's amazingly fun to drive.

2.5 strait 4 i believe.  non turbo. 

I agree.  Great looking car!  I don't blame you for picking that over an Eagle.  If I  my major criterion for a car hadn't been a good bad weather/bad road commuter  car I'd have chosen that over my Eagle too.
I'd have been happy with an eagle too, but I got tired of waiting. 

I looked, and there's very little rust on the car.. which is great, considering where it is.

Offline DownwardFlame

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »
Non turbo huh.... That can be remidied without to much trouble lol  ;D.  Have you seen the latest episode of roadkill? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WcjC00J8FaM
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:33:35 PM by DownwardFlame »
-1970 Mustang Coupe
-1982 F-150 Stepside
-1980 Eagle Wagon
-1981 Sx4

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 03:37:36 PM »
If that's a base model it's got some nice sporty upgrades. My '89 base model had no spoiler and no t-tops or sunroof. Yours looks nice. And the flip-up headlights are just so 80s!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 09:15:34 PM »
yes, it's got some options.  Well, as far as I can tell, just t tops.  It also has the ground effects from an '89.  I was sure the spoiler was standard, but looking back, they may have cut it around 87.  I've had so much fun driving this to school and work. 

Non turbo huh.... That can be remidied without to much trouble lol  ;D.  Have you seen the latest episode of roadkill? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WcjC00J8FaM

I looked into putting in a turbo, and how it was explained was I'd be better off swapping the engine for a turbocharged one.  Something for the future, but for right now, I'm content. 

Offline Eagle Groupie

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Allentown, PA
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »

2.5 strait 4 i believe.  non turbo. 

There is something to be said for not getting speeding tickets.

Offline DownwardFlame

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »
That would be the reason to know all the back roads and make use of them when you need to play a little.  ;D
-1970 Mustang Coupe
-1982 F-150 Stepside
-1980 Eagle Wagon
-1981 Sx4

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »
There is something to be said for not getting speeding tickets.

Not my car, and I don't know how good you can see, but the dash cluster is all funky.   The Tachometer and the Speedometer switched places, and the speedo goes up by 5's as in 5, dash, 15, dash, 25, dash, 35, dash, 45, dash, 55, dash, 65.  So it doesn't show the 60 mph mark.  My point is why would they do that, unless their point was for me to go a bit faster?  I'd guess it's either because of the age, because I know they averaged 0-55 back then, or because it's sport oriented, and they figured that design would be awesome. 

The first time I got  it up to speed, a police officer pulled out, and I could feel their eyes on me.  thankfully, I was only going 55 at the time.  about 5 minutes later a new charger wanted to play.  I figured I didn't want to get any tickets the first day, so I stayed at 45, while he sped away at 70ish. (in a 45 zone) 

Offline Eagle Groupie

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Allentown, PA
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 09:57:46 PM »
I'm not sure if that is strange with the speedometer or not. Mine only has the 20s labeled: 0, 20, 40, 60...

Your car is a looker for sure, so just remember Big Brother is watching.

What's with all these new Dodge Chargers anyway? There are three parked within a block of my house. Were they on sale?

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 10:23:58 PM »
they sure look nice, with the new face lift, and the new dodge tail lights, but In the end, they're still just chargers.  not anything special anymore.

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 08:02:47 AM »

HI    way back when that car was made the speed limit was 55 there for speedometer is in 5.s it tock some getting use to 5.s instead of 10.s .....some of you young people were still wrapped in blankest when that happened ....I've
        all ways wanted one of those cars but the money went for house hold things like back to school for the boys or a new stove or refrigerator or some thing ....Now I cant  get  In or out of that car with out help.... enough  of the old man ....the main thing is to have some fun while you are young .....don   
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk