News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:46:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: just an update.  (Read 20765 times)

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
just an update.
« on: December 03, 2013, 08:48:59 PM »
So I realize its been 2 weeks since i was supposed to get an eagle, (i think) and i haven't gotten one. The one i was looking to get, its actually my profile pic, was an 81 sx4 that was brown. It ran great, started right up, but it was automatic.  It was also brown and in person it didn't look that hot.  I was going to buy it after traveling a full day (well there and back)  and he said, "i don't have the title."  I'm not the kind of guy to get mad, so i said alright, left and told him to call me when he got the title. (it was in the mail). I found out on Sunday after heading down again, with my family this time, just to have fun, and he said he had sold it. :| 
So anyway i found another that i like more anyway as its an 82 so it's got the 4x4 switch, no rust through, and its a standard.  And its cheaper.  I'll be going this weekend if all goes right!

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: just an update.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 08:53:16 PM »
Right on! Patience pays off some times! Good luck with the purchase. Hope you can get it!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »
Good luck with this one.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 01:17:50 AM »
Ughh.  Unfortunately the world doesn't like me having cool cars.  I wanted to go get the eagle this weekend, but as my family doesn't appreciate eagles and the seller is always busy, I doubt it will happen.   maybe next weekend.  If not, I was thinking of an sx4 sport nearby. It was the one that I first saw, and opened my eyes to eagles.  Unfortunately it needs help and would be a project... Unfortunately I wanted one I could just use as a driver fro. The get go, but beggars can't be choosers I guess.  It would be a light project and its literally biking distance from my house.  Here's the details. (as my first project in counting on you guys to help see if it's a good idea I guess)
it was used as a cosmetic parts far so it's missing the sport mirrors, and a few other things, the insides a little rough and the back seat would probably get replaced, because it's torn up.  The clutch "is stuck down" and all I can think of is to replace the cylinders... It does have a sunroof, witch I love, but it looks like it broke and is now just plastic or fiberglass.  It has some awful Tasmanian devil mud flaps on it that would be taken off. it needs new tires, but that would happen anyway, as I think they look great with somewhat "beefy" tires.  The drivers door is off color, like its actually got clear coat, but the rest is the usual faded paint. it says it has newer front axles too.  Under the hood, as far as I looked its missing a battery and some hoses are literally cut right off.  Its posted at 600 but has been on for a few months and it doesn't say anything about a missing battery/hoses. 

Just exploring my options right now, but what so you guys think? I have tomorrow off now I guess so I am gonna go down and take some pics to show.  If anyone had any leads on some mirrors and/or some nice tires to put on I'd appreciate it.  And any project help or clutch information too.

I think it's neat that apparently there's another sx4 owner near me too then, if this was for parts. Haven't seen it though.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 01:31:21 AM »
If you really want and Eagle and you really want one you can drive from the get go I say just be patient and what for the right one. I bought too soon and got myself into a project I didn't really want to be doing...and actually I'm not doing. I have it at a shop and now I'm spending money I was hoping I wasn't gonna have to! And on top of that an Eagle has now come up online that I wish I had the money for but since I've got this other project the timing just isn't right! :(

Do yourself a favor. Wait it out. More Eagles will likely show up in the Spring and probably at a cheaper price. Plus it will put your family more at ease if you get a car that's not a huge project from the get go!

Edit: Just my two cents! As they say!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:08:15 AM »
I would echo Prafeston's advice.  If you want a car that is ready to drive, that's what you should get.  With this one not running, you may be getting into a whole lot more repairs than you're thinking going in.  In my experience its usually a lot more expensive to get things running and back on the road than you anticipate.

If you have the time and $$ for a project, then this one might be the one for you.  If you need transportation soon, its probably best to wait.

Good luck on your search!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 09:55:35 AM »
Yup, be patient.  The one with the sunroof would be problematic and turn into more a project that you want.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »
If it were me believe I would hold out for a better car. All the obvious missing parts is one thing its the non obvious repairs that get expensive in a hurry and add up faster then a gas pump running at full speed. Better cars are out there.Just wait it out both you and your family we'll be much happier.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 11:03:35 AM »
I agree with all points mentioned, and will add this. Once you find the right car, you may consider getting another one for a "project", as you can't just have one Eagle.  A project car is no fun if you are just trying to get it on the road in a hurry.  It is much more fun to take your time fixing it up while having fun driving the good one.  There will be the right car at the right time for you, just be patient.  If you do get a cheap project car ($600 is the perfect price for a project car), you have the perfect tool for learning how these cars operate and of their idiosyncrasies....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 12:26:05 PM »
So I decided that the 600 dollar one isn't the good one.  It would be cool to do, but I was going through a frame of thought, as it was taking so long to find one, and I was getting hopeless! I mean how can there be so many sx4s but none of them are right for me?  Anywho, if its still there in the spring, and I have the funds, I'm grabbing it. (if I have the funds... My plan is to get a dodge Daytona in the summer.  so that takes priority unfortunately.) I believe I mentioned the one I like, but it's making me crazy. I know it runs and it has no rust and its got the 258.  I'm waiting on pics but lord its taking forever.  I'm going through a cycle of thinking it is just a plain old ax4, to a louvered up beauty with real aluminum rims and a sunroof. Or at lest one of those.  Big imagination I suppose, but onece again, if all goes right, it should be mine by the weekend!  ::)   

if it doesn't work out, I'm going to get a BMW. I'll definatly keep an eye out for one though.

P.s.  Its an 82... Any chance the radio has a cassette deck? I don't want my collection of classic rock tapes to get dusty.

P.p.s.  I noticed a gauge cluster for  sale downstate, and I should be going down there soon. If this eagle doesn't have one, its up for grabs.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 01:15:36 PM »
'82.  Probably an AM or if you are lucky an AM/FM radio.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 10:10:43 PM »
instead of opening up a new post, I'll just post in here again.  (obviously it's an update to this topic)
A lot of things have happened today, starting with me searching for a car.  While I go through sites, I look for eagles, then just for kicks, other cars I'd like.  and doing this, I found an 86' Chrysler laser turbo t top car.  I tried waiting for my eagle, but I need a new car at this point, and temptation overcame me.  So this or next weekend I'll be the proud owner of this 80's sports car. 

this probably goes without saying, but if anyone cares, I am by no means calling off my search for the eagle of my dreams. maybe in the spring i'll be able to get the one  was looking at.  I love eagles and I hope by this time next year I'll own one,  so you don't have to worry about me giving up eagles! (if anyone would) 
I love this laser, and I can't wait to own it.    I'll contact the eagles owner to let him know, and if the eagles available that's what I'm going for, but I don't know if that'll  happen. 

Offline Budwisr

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 10:31:15 PM »
My wife had a 86 Turbo Laser when we got married. Pretty quick for 4 banger, but had a problem with blowing head gaskets. We sold it to her brother and it suffered a terminal engine fire a year or so later. If this one survived this long it should be a "good' one. Coincidentally, I just seen one the other day after not seeing one for quite a few years. Bud
Bud
 1981 SX/4
 1983 SX/4
 1987 Wrangler
 1970 AMX
 1980 Spirit AMX

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 10:41:34 PM »
yeah, I love these things, especially with the gimmicks like the digi-dash.  I have heard of problems with the turbo models, but I care for my cars, and I wouldn't ride this hard.  I have a list of cars I want in my lifetime (still in progress) but this takes off 2.  I want a laser, and a turbo car, so that's that.   mid engine is also on there!

I get over excited about these things, but I'm super excited.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 10:47:49 PM »
Good luck man. Bummer you had to bail on the Eagle. First car I bought was an '89 Dodge Daytona. Very similar in shape. I always wished it was the Shelby Turbo.

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 10:55:56 PM »
I wish I didn't have to, I love this maroon eagle, and I've never seen another one before. I hope I can still pick it up later. (why can't there be a reserve for craigslist cars?)   but with me starting college and stuff, I need a new car. And I'm to picky to get just some car.  but there's something about driving something that looks like a spaceship that makes a car really cool!

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 12:34:37 AM »
Maybe it is just me, but that steering wheel looks out of place compared to the rest of the dash. Are you looking at a chrysler product that says " a door is ajar"?
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 09:01:37 AM »
Yeah, I've heard the electronic voice alert would get annoying, but it's awesome to me.  only in the 80's could you get a turbo charged car with a digital dashboard, and after you start her up, Microsoft Sam tells you to buckle up.  maybe it'd be different to me if I grew up with something like that, but all I've ever seen is boring old base model Bonneville and whatnot.  and as for the steering wheel, I like it.  In my opinion, steering wheels look cooler the less it looks like a square.  part f the reason I like eagles so much, is even the un-sporty steering wheel looks sporty compared to this day and age.  I actually prefer the "bar" steering wheel to the sport ones now.

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 07:59:15 PM »
I had one of those back in the day. My wife worked at a dealership and got a demo, it was the dodge Daytona turbo, triple black

Loved to hear the turbo whine!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline amkfken

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 09:29:21 PM »
Nice find, get on TurboDodge . com with any questions or problems, a good bunch just like the AMC Den.
There are three kinds of men;
1.) The ones that learn by reading
2.) The few who learn by observation
3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

'51 Henry J--'58 Jeep FC 170--'63 Comet Conv.--'67 Marlin
'06 Liberty(Mom's)--'96 Grand Cherokee
'83 SX/4 Sport-- 84 Dodge Rampage

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 09:48:15 PM »
Nice find, get on TurboDodge . com with any questions or problems, a good bunch just like the AMC Den.
Already ahead of you.  I don't know if they're as nice as they are here, but if anyone needs help, a forums the place to go

Offline Krico

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Keep on truckin'
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 07:43:22 PM »
I've always thought of turning my eagle into a retro techy project, even before I got it
 I drew some concepts in class, I might do some day like hooking up the reatta's "Electronic Control Center" led lighting everywhere like on my other car or just good old school incandescent bulbs, maybe even a nixie clock.
 At the moment I'm messing around with this arduino stuff trying to figure some things out and put it to use, ordered a talking alarm too by bulldog for the heck of it, still coming up with ideas to incorporate screens and my gauges,like hooking up the dials to potentiometers or just comletly converting it somehow. On my El camino when the radio went bad, i removed and put a tablet in place, like the eagle its radio and ac are mounted in a rectangular port in the center a 6x9 tablet fit best and was under 100 new i dont know about the eagle though.

just some sweet ideas regarding that sweet spaceship interior.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:44:47 PM by Krico »
Keep on truckin'

Offline Budwisr

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 08:09:53 PM »
In the video "The Unfortunate History of the Pacer" (see here)  http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43054.0
Vince Geraci an AMC designer talks about how they wanted to use a digital LED instrument panel for the Pacer but they just hadn't been developed enough to use. Kind of an interesting fact I never heard before. Would have been very appropriate for the new modern Pacer.
Bud
 1981 SX/4
 1983 SX/4
 1987 Wrangler
 1970 AMX
 1980 Spirit AMX

Offline Krico

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Keep on truckin'
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 09:48:59 PM »
In the video "The Unfortunate History of the Pacer" (see here)  http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43054.0
Vince Geraci an AMC designer talks about how they wanted to use a digital LED instrument panel for the Pacer but they just hadn't been developed enough to use. Kind of an interesting fact I never heard before. Would have been very appropriate for the new modern Pacer.

that would have been awesome, i wonder what the eagle would be like if they let it go on for another generation, maybe more digital displays than that clock and radio haha.
Keep on truckin'

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »
SO if anybody knows my luck with people, you know what this is about. 
unless a miracle happens before monday, someone else is getting the laser.  It wasn't a seller related experience, just a more fortunate person.  I don't want to look for another car right now.  I'm depressed that I can't ever get a car, and looking always comes up empty, so it just makes me sad.  :'( 
I guess the one good part is I can wait for that eagle longer, but I'm tired of waiting too.  I'm tired of bumming rides, and driving problematic cars off and on.
there's a red sx4 in Milwaukee, that I guess is cool.  The funny thing is it's a sport.  What more could someone ask of an sx4, and yet I'm not interested.  I fell in love with the maroon color (I always do this) and red sx4s are so boring to me.  I started liking the sport wheel, but now the normal bar steering wheel is way cooler to me.   I don't want a red one that much.  I'll post the link below so you can tell me what you think. not that it's a bad car, it comes with all sorts of goodies too.
It's a red sport for 2000 in fair condition, with a whole new interior.  81 so it's all wheel.  I don't know really, because I can't get excited about it.  I Loved the maroon one.  I have such bad luck with people, and so little contact with this guy, that he may not even have it/not want to sell it/may be leading me on.  I wish someone on here had an sx4 nearby that I could look at.  I can trust people on here, I guarantee it. I guess I'm really just venting, and whatnot, I'm sure not everyone here wants to here my sob story.  I'm going to try to contact the maroon eagle probably, see if I can just rent a trailer/dolly and bring it in to get it finished or something, but who knows. 

Link : http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4256384867.html

thanks for reading my post, I imagine it must sound stupid and whiny from your point of view.

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 08:56:26 PM »
I've always thought of turning my eagle into a retro techy project, even before I got it
 I drew some concepts in class, I might do some day like hooking up the reatta's "Electronic Control Center" led lighting everywhere like on my other car or just good old school incandescent bulbs, maybe even a nixie clock.
 At the moment I'm messing around with this arduino stuff trying to figure some things out and put it to use, ordered a talking alarm too by bulldog for the heck of it, still coming up with ideas to incorporate screens and my gauges,like hooking up the dials to potentiometers or just comletly converting it somehow. On my El camino when the radio went bad, i removed and put a tablet in place, like the eagle its radio and ac are mounted in a rectangular port in the center a 6x9 tablet fit best and was under 100 new i dont know about the eagle though.

just some sweet ideas regarding that sweet spaceship interior.
as much as I heard its bad, I learned about the neat Buick Riviera system.  A touch screen console in the 80's?  that's way cool.  Imagine putting that in your eagle.   I'd love to test something like  that out.  I saw a video and with the crappy sensitivity, switching from MPG to radio to trip to system monitoring  would be a pain. 
this would be cool to see, but I think of an eagle as a more classy late 70's car than an 80's car..  80's cars are all wow, look at all this new stuff! BAM, Turbo, BAM electronics!  BAM, Night rider!  yeah, the eagle had a new system (suspension and 4wd) but the styling and everything just seems more classy.  I can't imagine doing that would be weird and maybe leave it looking bad.. sure Robo-policeman is cool, but you can't say that he looked better  as a robot than a good old policeman.  (bad example?)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 08:58:02 PM »
Ran when parked 6 years ago is not reassuring. Mine supposedly ran 4 years before I bought it. Needed a new engine! He says he has a brand new gas tank in a box, yet unless he got it a long time ago I'd guess it might be a Wagon tank and not work...so you'd want to look into that. Other than that it looks pretty nice and since it's a 4 speed it should have the sought after gearing. Interior looks pretty nice too. Exterior needs paint...soooo you could always have it painted the maroon you really want. Just saying. Price might be a bit high considering it sounds like it doesn't currently run.

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, 09:07:20 PM »
soooo you could always have it painted the maroon you really want

I guess.  Was your painted?  I don't know if I've seen that color.  Anyway I'll call him tomorrow for more details about it.  It wasn't just the paint about the maroon one, it was the low (30k) miles, the extra parts, ext.  I'll find something out, I don't want you to have no competition when Best sx4 comes along.   ;D

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 09:21:57 PM »
Hah, mine's far from the best! And my color is stuck. I believe it's called Copper Brown Metallic.

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 09:25:59 PM »
I'm sure there's some good ones out there, and it's probably because yours is talked about a lot lately, because your fixing it, but it's very nice, and what I immediately think of when I think of a good one.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 09:41:36 PM »
Well thanks. I sure hope it can get straightened out soon so I can start driving it some!

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 09:48:31 PM »
I just started browsing old pages again, and recently revisited this page, http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/08/junkyard-find-1982-amc-eagle-sx4-sport/  I didn't realize there was a blue sport.  If I painted it, I think I would have to paint it blue like this, or black, like this  http://cdn1.flipacars.com/photos/AMC/24/5b/19132_amc-eagle-sx-4-flickr-photo-sharing.jpg
once I saw that one, I liked it instantly.  possibly one of the coolest paint jobs I've seen, in my opinion.

I hope you can drive it around too.  I really like your eagle, and would love to hear about some stories.  and I know you have a youtube channel, and I love seeing videos!

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »
I think we decided that Blue on the Sport SX/4 was someone elses doing. There was no "electric" blue in the Eagle lineup. I have seen that other decal before though and I even saved the photo on my phone because it might be something I'd be interested in with my car. The one I saw was on a Spirit though.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 10:19:46 PM »
pretty certain i looked at that milwaukee clisted sx/4 years back. if that is the case it is/has been moved from one property to another. i didn't think it was worth the headache than. not certain about now. again if it is the same one.

Manitowoc WI

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 10:27:39 PM »
Yeah, and I don't know what you guys think, but I don't think I'd pay "2000, FIRM"  for it.    that's wierd, I thought it looked pretty old/faded like the rest.  must've been done a long time ago.  I'm really diggin' that blue with the decal.. Maybe I'll combine the 2, and do that.  looks really cool. wierd that it's so unfaded and rusted away compared to the rest of the car.  especially because it goes right through the bad area.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:29:17 PM by youngkyle »

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 11:16:43 PM »
Amazing what a text can do. I don't really get a lot of contact with the eagle guy, but I shot him a text and he responded, saying he's making progress, but the weather has been making it hard.  Anyway we talked and he said he'd put as much progress into it as possible, and hopefully I'll own it by the 9th.  Much happier now,  and Again I can't wait.  Part of the reason I started looking for a laser is because it's really hard thinking every weekend that that weekend you're going to have a car, and then it not happening.  it's a lot of hope and stress weighing down on your shoulders.  As bummed as I am about that laser,  ("gunmetal blue with pearl and vibrant silver" ground effects was quite rare, and it had t tops and a turbo, with low mileage, that's quite a package)  I wanted the eagle so much more.  Honestly it's much harder finding a nice eagle now and in the future than any sports car.  so to wrap up this dumb post, soon I will hopefully be using this forum for what it's really for, not just for bothering eagle owners with stupid questions.   ;D

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 11:25:18 PM »
hopefully be using this forum for what it's really for, not just for bothering eagle owners with stupid questions.   ;D
What are you talking about...that is what this forum is for  :rotfl:

Be patient man. Hope you can get that Eagle on the 9th. I've been there though. I always sell my old car before buying a new one and when you don't have a backup it gets annoying. The car I own now I had been without a car for 2 months and finally I had 2 guys I was going to meet in St. Louis (Almost a 2 hour drive) and I told my mom that I was coming home with one of those cars! :)

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 11:34:51 PM »
I mean I want to use it to be helpful or post good stories or eagle fixing related questions.  I guess this is what it's for, but I feel like I've been poluting the forum with dumb questions and non eagle posts...   by the way, about that blue, if it's not stock, whats with this?
April 2005 – amcman and his Hot SX/4
found on ROTM.  or was that just not stock on sports.  I have nothing to do but be patient, I'm so picky about cars, I won't buy anything I don't deem cool.  maybe it's bad for me, but it's prevented me from giving up on what still seems like a promising  eagle, for a rusted out auto trans subaru or 2. 

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 12:43:39 AM »
There were a couple different AMC blues that the Eagles were done up with, but none of them are the really bright blue like that one found in the JunkYard. Most of them were a darker blue or a lighter baby blueish grey.

Offline Monkeyjoe

• What greater man is than one who gives his life for his friends
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • If you want to look common, buy a Ferrari
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 01:22:24 AM »
Just going to chime in here.

Be patient  if you rush in to buy something you really didn't want, then you end up waiting a few more years because you wont be able to justify selling and buying again so soon.  The only thing I can say different about that is the color.  When it comes the a rare car, you really shouldn't be too picky about the color.  It is a pleasure just to be able to own an Eagle.  The ones you are looking at look like they could use fresh paint anyway.   

When I bought my SX/4 I had been driving by it for several months.  It was parked in the ditch on the side of the road with a for sale sign in the window.  I fell in love with the car but kept telling myself I couldn't afford it.  I didn't even know how much the guy wanted for the car but if it was sitting for sale that long it had to be over priced.    After about 6 months, I finally stopped a wrote down the phone number on the sign and went home.  I called the number and asked the guy how much he was asking for the car.  He was shocked that I called, he said the car was $1,500 negotiable.  And he said I was the 1st person to call him about the car.   He explained that he had bought the car from the 1st owner and the engine was making a weird noise and he is not a mechanic so he just wanted to get rid of the car.  It had 69,000 original miles on it, original AMC floor mats, sun roof, CB/radio, original spare tire, jack and spare tire cover, rear wiper and defroster, factory A/C, 5 speed T5, Factory Fog lights, Everything works all in amazing shape.  We met at the car and I had $1200 cash in my pocket.  I looked the car over and fired up the engine and sure enough a loud noise came from the engine.  I turned and offered him the $1200, and he accepted.  I drove the car home and put in a new water pump.  The noise was the water pump bushing going out, causing a howling sound. 

One thing you have to remember.  "Money Talks"  Don't ever hash out a deal with somebody and then not have the money to follow up the deal.  A seller hates that.  If you are asking less that the seller is asking, try having the money in your pocket all in smaller bills like $20's.  Many times people are selling because they have to.  Spread that money out on the table, when they see it is real, it is easier for them to mentally see that ($1200 of something is way more than $1500 of nothing.)

I JUST TELL MY WIFE "SOME PEOPLE COLLECT STAMPS"
1982 AMC Eagle SX4, (Little Beast)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, (Gold Digger)
1992 Dodge, Cummins, 1 Ton Duelly (Big Red)
1967 International Scout 800 (Scooter)
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1927 Model T, Hotrod(Daddys Girl)
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 12:24:31 PM »

One thing you have to remember.  "Money Talks"  Don't ever hash out a deal with somebody and then not have the money to follow up the deal.  A seller hates that.  If you are asking less that the seller is asking, try having the money in your pocket all in smaller bills like $20's.  Many times people are selling because they have to.  Spread that money out on the table, when they see it is real, it is easier for them to mentally see that ($1200 of something is way more than $1500 of nothing.)

That's kinda the way my friend buys things (cars mostly).  He hands the seller a wad of cash (usually less than the asking price) and says "if that isn't enough, hand it back".  He has rarely had anyone hand back the cash.  Just having the wad of cash in their hands makes them want to keep it.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 12:45:20 PM »
that's funny.  I don't think I could  do that.  I'm not really a outspoken guy, I usually try to be respectable and although I know I should, I find it hard to negotiate a prce. It's easy online, it's another thing in person.  I do like that idea though.  I'm for sure getting a good price with this eagle though, I just get carried away with how much I like the cars.  Brings you down hard when it falls through.  But I'm happy as can be now, with that eagle.  my only problem is I got more messages about a daytona last night.   :banghead: :banghead:

Offline Monkeyjoe

• What greater man is than one who gives his life for his friends
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • If you want to look common, buy a Ferrari
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2014, 03:28:15 AM »
Don't forget, the seller has already figured in the negotiation.   He is asking $2000 for a car he has already decided he will take $1500 for. He already knows a good buyer is going to ask for less.  He has already talked to his friends, wife, or looked it up on ebay and has seen what they are selling for and has bumped up the price to account for the negotiation cushion.   If you jump in at $2000, he is laughing all the way to the bank because he got top dollar without negotiation.  A good deal is when both parties walk away feeling like they got a deal. 

And it is respectable if you are respectful.  If he wont come down to your price, he should understand you have a budget.  Also, be polite, don't tell him its junk and not worth what he is asking.  He may call you in a week when he doesn't get any more lookers.   If you haven't insulted him he may still be willing to do business with you.

I bought a 1975 Harley from its original owner.  the guy was asking $4000 for it.  the guy before me offered him $3500 because he said it wasn't worth $4000, the seller was insulted and sent the guy packing.  I came in looked at the bike and asked the price, when the seller told me, I smiled and told him the bike was beautiful and worth the asking price.  I thanked him for letting me look but my budget was $2500.  He thanked me and sold me the bike for $2500
I JUST TELL MY WIFE "SOME PEOPLE COLLECT STAMPS"
1982 AMC Eagle SX4, (Little Beast)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, (Gold Digger)
1992 Dodge, Cummins, 1 Ton Duelly (Big Red)
1967 International Scout 800 (Scooter)
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1927 Model T, Hotrod(Daddys Girl)
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
I know its blasphemy, but I'd take that blue/silver laser turbo t-top car over an eagle.  That thing is incredibly gorgeous, I'd love to have it.

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2014, 12:45:47 PM »
I would too honestly, but unless a miracle happens by Monday, it sold to someone locally.  I'd love to have it, but It's such a slim chance that something would happen.  the problem is that I doubt I'll find another turbo laser with t tops in that color.  and now that i've seen that color, I don't want just any red or white (the 2 most popular colors) one.  kind of sucks. 
I'm aware of money negotiations, (sorry if this upsets someone) but we call  my mom the "jew-queen."    you have to remember that even though I know this, This is my first car that I'm negotiating all by my self.  I'm taking my brother with me, but I'd like it if my dad would come.  I have thought of the money thing too.  I know if it's 2000, I'd say 1500.  then I take into the fact that it's been for sale for a while (a few months, and I take that into consideration.  I also know to look for rust and whatnot, and a pre buying inspection. 

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »
Good luck just finding another t-top turbo laser. Those things are probably more rare than an Eagle.

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »
It's the color mostly.  And with any other car, the condition is key too.  Not that they grow on trees or anything, but as the laser was the higher end model, you find more of the optioned out cars.    The color on the other hand they only made for like 1 of the 3 years.  I'm bummed, but I'm perfectly happy getting an eagle.  I also decided that while picking it up, witch should be happening on the 9th, I'm stopping at Kenosha if I can. 

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 11:31:57 PM »
God this seems like the place to post my dumb car buying story until it becomes a story.  My biggest problem with this eagle is that he doesn't answer his phone.  And I'm not saying right away.  It takes forever.  I'll text him, and I MIGHT get a text in a week.  so it's very hard to plan around something that you don't know anything about.  You'd think if you're trying to sell something, you'd answer your phone every once in a while.  I assume a sound annoyed, and I am to an extent, but who wouldn't be.  but anyway, I didn't get it this weekend, hopefully next weekend.  but if it's not done next weekend, I'm not getting it.  I found a Datsun 280zx  for the right price, and I love those cars too.  I'm still hoping for the eagle, and want that one so much more, but like it's been said before with that laser, it's hard to compete with a car that looks like this...
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200705/1979-nissan-z-cars-second-8_600x0w.jpg

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 12:54:59 PM »
Are you only texting the guy? Or are you actually calling him? Some people would much rather get a call than have to keep texting someone.

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »
Calling too. I've given him the option of texting or calling.  I I'm probably waiting another two weeks, so it gives him more time.  anyone that has before, how long did it take you to put in a new motor?  I mean approximate hours, because it's obviously off and on that he's working on it.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2014, 11:44:47 PM »
Good luck just finding another t-top turbo laser. Those things are probably more rare than an Eagle.

Still running you mean? I worked on those things and got tired of pulling the head only to find it's cracked.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2014, 08:54:44 AM »
that's the problem with 80's Chrysler/Dodge cars.  they put a turbo in anything they could, and they were very temperamental.  The key is to find one treated nice.  My general opinion is that a car with high miles, driven by a grandpa,  is better than a car with low miles, driven by some teenager who doesn't appreciate it. (E-brake drifting, to much turbo, ect.)  It also helps that generally the older you are, the more likely you are to know how to fix a car. 

I'm not trying to say that this seller is a bad guy by any means, everyone is busy.  It's just tiring business.  I really hope it works out with the eagle.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2014, 12:53:25 PM »
Just give him some time. It's the middle of the winter. Know one wants to be working on a car in a cold garage or outside this time of year!

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2014, 09:38:10 PM »
I know, I've reminded him that I'm ok with waiting, because I know very much what the weather is like up here.  I'm trying to be as polite and patient as I can, but it gets hard waiting.  All I have is pictures, and I can't just keep looking at those.  maybe I could ask for new pictures, and remind him that I can be patient. :P 
after all, I try to keep in mind, He's doing me a huge favor, putting it back together.  I'd be paying big bucks if not.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2014, 11:09:22 AM »
You'd think if you're trying to sell something, you'd answer your phone every once in a while...  I found a Datsun 280zx  for the right price, and I love those cars too.  I'm still hoping for the eagle, and want that one so much more, but like it's been said before with that laser, it's hard to compete with a car that looks like this...
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200705/1979-nissan-z-cars-second-8_600x0w.jpg

Yes, those 280ZXs are super nice cars.  I bought one to restore and then decided to get a Corvette and sold the 280 - still not sure I made the right choice.

Before I bought the 280ZX I was looking at an 84 Celica Supra.  I got a look at it when it was in a garage for a starter surrounded by cars 1 foot away but wanted a chance to put it on the hoist at home and look it over better and the guy said he'd call me back when I could do it.  Time went by, I called again, left messages, and he still wouldn't give me a time or return my calls.  I eventually gave up.  Makes you wonder why people bother advertising a car if they can't be bothered to let someone look at it.

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2014, 02:38:59 PM »
I figure if they're trying to hide something, it's not worth looking at anyway.  That's why I prefer buying something where it lists all the problems (with pictures).  If the seller tells you the problems instead of hiding them, you're probably going to have a good sale.

I'm probably so impatient because of my last encounter.  I drove there, (entire day, there and back) and just before I bought it, he said he had just registered it, and the title was still in the mail.  his wife said it'd been a week or so, maybe it's in the mailbox.  He said he didn't want to go out to check!

So I left there empty handed.  then a few weeks went by, and I called him and he said he sold the car.

I was annoyed, but who knows, probably for the better.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2014, 04:00:38 PM »
I always go with cash in pocket and then crawl all around and under the car; then talk AMC 101 or if an AMC'ER level 404 and then we get down to the actual price.  My latest, the Ambo I got for a thousand less than asking and he threw extra stuff in with the deal because he and I both knew it would not work on his AMX.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk