The Mighty 258 > Fuel Systems.

Motorcraft 2150 Carb Upgrade

(1/2) > >>

zboot:
On the 4th, I finally got around to opening up the box containing my upgrade kit and starting the process of replacing my old carter carb. Today, I made it to the part of the process where I got the engine started and now I'm working on cleaning up the engine bay and taking care of all outstanding issues with the install.

First impressions:

* At most rpms, the engine runs much quieter than before
* I get consistent acceleration through 75mph. Before, I'd really have to strain above 55.
* I still have a stall issue that requires higher than normal idle, but now that is 1500rpm vs 2200rpm*
* The biggest thing is just how smooth it all sounds and feels.
*There was a brief (20 minute test drive) where the idle was set normally and I didn't have the stall issue. I'm relatively confident that once I deal with the outstanding vacuum hoses and wire in the choke, I should have a normal idle (and even quieter car).

ammachine390:
Have you bypassed the ECM yet?

zboot:

--- Quote from: ammachine390 on July 07, 2011, 01:02:26 AM ---Have you bypassed the ECM yet?

--- End quote ---

The ECM had been bypassed for the past two years.

I forgot to mention - I now have an instant startup. As in get in the car, turn the key for barely a second and the engine is up and running. This is a big change from having to crank and pump the gas for about 15-30 seconds before it would fire up.

GRONK:
Get some pics posted and let me know if you need anything or have any questions.

GRONK:
Did you fix the stalling issue?  If not, post some good pics.  It is most likley vacuum or timing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version